Network of top Buddhists warns of uprising against NRC panel

webfact

Network of top Buddhists warns of uprising against NRC panel
PAKAMARD JAICHALARD,
CHANIKARN PHUMHIRAN
THE NATION

30254941-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- A NETWORK of monks and other Buddhists yesterday warned that Buddhist priests across the country would rise up if activities offending their institution continued.

The warning came up after Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-ocha has yet to respond to the network's demand that the National Reform Council committee on the protection of Buddhism be abolished.

Led by NRC member Paiboon Nititawan, this committee has shifted the public spotlight to the controversy surrounding Dhammakaya Temple, its abbot Phra Dhammachayo, and the decision of the Sangha Supreme Council (SSC) to let him stay on as a monk.

Phra Dhammachayo was accused of many wrongdoings, including embezzlement of temple properties. Because he returned those properties, the SSC ruled in 2006 that he would not be defrocked.

"Why doesn't the government have a discussion with the NRC chairman over the problems this committee has caused?" Phra Methi Dhammajahn, an assistant abbot of Mahathat Yuwaratrangsarit Temple and a vice rector at Mahachulalongkornra-javidyalaya University, asked yesterday.

He was speaking in his capacity as an adviser to the Association of Academics for Buddhism. Earlier this week, he led his supporters in submitting a petition to Prayut via a government complaint-receiving centre. Phra Methi Dhammajahn felt Paiboon's recent activities constituted intimidation against the SSC.

Meanwhile, high-profile monk Phra Buddha Isara vowed to monitor today's SSC meeting closely in anticipation that the council might do something about Phra Dhammachayo's case.

"I will visit the SSC every day if it does not find Phra Dhammachayo guilty," he said.

Phra Buddha Isara, the abbot of Or Noi Temple, yesterday called on the Office of the Ombudsman to investigate public prosecutors' 2006 decision to drop the embezzlement case against Phra Dhammachayo. The same year, the SSC cited this decision in concluding that Phra Dhammachayo did not need to lose his status as a monk.

"An investigation should be launched to make it clear why the public prosecutors changed their minds," Phra Buddha Isara said.

He said he had heard that the first team of prosecutors handling this case in fact went ahead with the arraignment but the attorney-general at that time intervened, removed the first group and established a new team to handle the case.

Ombudsman to address monk's request

Office of the Ombudsman secretary-general Raksagecha Chaechai said he would soon raise Phra Buddha Isara's request at a meeting of ombudsmen.

"We can ask the Office of the Attorney-General to submit relevant documents," he said.

He said that if the state prosecutors did not cooperate, its officers could face legal punishment of up to six months in jail and/or a maximum fine of Bt10,000.

Phra Buddha Isara yesterday also headed to the Crime Suppression Division to lodge a complaint against SSC spokesman Phra Phrom Methi, Office of National Buddhism spokesman Somchai Surachatri, and Paknam Bhasicharoen Temple assistant abbot Phra Bhramamolee, saying they had slandered the SSC.

The complaint is related to their suggestion that the SSC recently ruled in favour of Phra Dhammachayo.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Network-of-top-Buddhists-warns-of-uprising-against-30254941.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-27

(Siampolee, your poster neglects to include who determines what is right. So overly simplistic)

It will be interesting to see how this elite split will be handled under martial law. Can the army keep monks from protesting. Could become a little messy.

Edited by canuckamuck

This rabid monk is going to come undone sooner or later, Lot of people he's p*ssing off, and he's not so clean as to walk away without any blow back.

how about a little look into his worldly assets, reckon that little bum nut will hurt.

not to popular in Chiang Mai this guy, And I'm surprised that the people he had (detained) (invited) in his tent during the protesting for a day or two for a nice little chat with tea and scones haven't come back to say hello.

As for the reform boy's playing with religion well if ya play with fire don't bitch when ya get burned, but yes I think ALL monks should have to file a assets report of some sort as REAL monks are not supposed to personally own worldly things.

• Like 1

Considering the significant role he played during the disruption of the previous government's business, and now evidently possessing the power to get the ombudsman to do his bidding, this monk would appear to have the backing of some powerful figure(s). I wonder who they are....

(Siampolee, your poster neglects to include who determines what is right. So overly simplistic)

It will be interesting to see how this elite split will be handled under martial law. Can the army keep monks from protesting. Could become a little messy.

Yu'p they can, Just take a look at what the Junta did for years in Burma, the Chines in Tibet, But I think that would be a very unwise thing to do.

Mixing religion with politics, always messy.

Why don't the authorities (Govt + Monk Council) stop this mixing of Religion and Politics?

This Monk gets everywhere - he even chaired a panel on Energy reform last year, for some inexplicable reason, much to the bewilderment of the industry professionals.

At this rate, he's going to be a Deputy Prime Minister in the next Govt.

• Like 1

the Thai flag (from wiki)

1. The colours are said to stand for nation-religion-king, an unofficial motto of Thailand, red for the land and people, white for Theravada Buddhism and blue for the monarchy, the last having been the auspicious colour of Rama VI.
a fourth tenet "constitution" is usually omitted or ignored
It also seems that many posters on this thread are unaware of the history of Buddhism in Thai politics and of the fact that it is highly factionalised as well.

Quite contrary to Germany, nobody in Thailand is forced to use religious services or pay for them.

It's donations, and you can join or leave Buddhist monks alone.

For the balance of your mind, I would advice you to join Buddhism.

But in Thailand, of course, it's up to you.

Micmichd post # 11

Quite contrary to Germany, nobody in Thailand is forced to use religious services or pay for them.

Be a decent chap or chapess and tell us all what on earth you are babbling on about.

So in Germany nowadays one is forced to use and pay for religious services etc?

For the balance of my mind I ignore all notions of any belief that offers me paradise Nirvana or otherwise etc at a price

Certainly I have never had bodily contact nor wish for it with any Buddhist monks or monks of any other brand for that matter in my life.

Buddhism is ​indeed it is up to me having lived in Thailand for some 24 years, married with kids too I feel that I am reasonably well informed as to the role of Buddhism here.

Military Junta should not interfere with the State religion and the Sangha. There will be trouble if they do. There will be trouble anyway someone has decided to allow this Junta until such a time they can't allow it.

Edited by Neeranam

Micmichd post # 11

Be a decent chap or chapess and tell us all what on earth you are babbling on about.

So in Germany nowadays one is forced to use and pay for religious services etc?

For the balance of my mind I ignore all notions of any belief that offers me paradise Nirvana or otherwise etc at a price

Certainly I have never had bodily contact nor wish for it with any Buddhist monks or monks of any other brand for that matter in my life.

Buddhism is ​indeed it is up to me having lived in Thailand for some 24 years, married with kids too I feel that I am reasonably well informed as to the role of Buddhism here.

This rabid monk is going to come undone sooner or later, Lot of people he's p*ssing off, and he's not so clean as to walk away without any blow back.

how about a little look into his worldly assets, reckon that little bum nut will hurt.

not to popular in Chiang Mai this guy, And I'm surprised that the people he had (detained) (invited) in his tent during the protesting for a day or two for a nice little chat with tea and scones haven't come back to say hello.

As for the reform boy's playing with religion well if ya play with fire don't bitch when ya get burned, but yes I think ALL monks should have to file a assets report of some sort as REAL monks are not supposed to personally own worldly things.

They would all sing "I who have nothing," It is all belonging to "my brother", the temple and grateful loyal parissioners who loan Porsches, I-phones & Rolexes with monotonous regularity. That's what all the MP's claim when found with something not on their asset list.

Very simple...YOU determine what is right. If you have to ask if it's right, chances are it isn't.

And what if somebody does something they think is right and you think is wrong?

canuckamuck post # 22.

Sounds like you're a married man like me.

That's just as 'er what spends the money and shouts standpoint is like. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

When Buddhists rise up, it isn't banners and signs - it's grenades and rifles. Look at the history of Burma.

It would be almost irony to see Junta militarily engage the very same Buddhists who carried out violent attacks against the Yingluck regime.

Or will Gen. Prayuth solve the conflict like he has everywhere - throw gifts and money for silence?

The headline reads Network of Top Buddhists warns. Mmmm...There is a message in there somewhere. I wonder if they have nothing to hide and the books are clean why the warning. Surely they wouldn't have anything to hide.

• Like 1

They would all sing "I who have nothing," It is all belonging to "my brother", the temple and grateful loyal parissioners who loan Porsches, I-phones & Rolexes with monotonous regularity. That's what all the MP's claim when found with something not on their asset list.

Would that include a former government minister who has a pink Bentley and a pink Rolls Royce on loan from a "friend" from Singapore?

• Like 2

By German law, everyone is forced to pay taxes to a "Christian" church, 10pct of your income tax.

If you are a foreigner (eg from Rome) and don't know that, German tax office might even take your house or any usufruct away.

Absolute BS!

You can leave "the church" anytime you like and you will not pay taxes anymore.

You just have to be pro-active and actually "leave"- that's all!

• Like 1

that would depend on your religion. Some will ignore, some will look down their noses, some will lecture, and others think they have the right, if not the duty, to kill you.

Yes, but foreigners don't even expect BS like that: a tax authority behind a church.

Laws and the law facts are different sometimes.

I left "Christian" church at the age of 14, and at the age of 65 I still got all kinds of enquiries about my religious state, even from the human resource department of a big company.

Easy to make exceptions from laws, and then keep everybody ignorant.

BTW: do you know the current regulations for organ transplantations?

By German law, everyone is forced to pay taxes to a "Christian" church, 10pct of your income tax.

If you are a foreigner (eg from Rome) and don't know that, German tax office might even take your house or any usufruct away.

Absolute BS!

You can leave "the church" anytime you like and you will not pay taxes anymore.

You just have to be pro-active and actually "leave"- that's all!

That old German law is no longer applicable :-) Edited by bigwhitewarrior
  • Like 1