Are bikers socially respectable?

dave_boo

It seems that there's a bit of a conception in various countries that bikers are a bit 'outlawish'. And the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" Hallmark cards aside, is it true?

If it is, can outside influences change it? Can societal norms of being nice and fitting inside a cookie cutter expectation honestly be forced on a group that has no qualms placing their lives in danger by getting on a two wheeled contraption and fitting themselves (occasionally) with the slimmest of safety gear? Can the free spirit and comradeship coupled with a wanderlust that is best expressed by pointing the headlight in a random direction to simply see what's there be broken enough to fit in with 'polite' company? Should it be especially by outside forces? Should the bawdy lifestyle be reduced in the hopes that it doesn't offend?

Or should society be willing to accept them for who they are? After all; imagine the uproar if they banned sending flowers from one man to another as that's promoting homosexuality. Or if they put special needs kids away in sanitariums again so that they did not provide anguish to parents that their next child could be born the same. I know that this is a slippery slope argument, but there definitely seems to be a different standard as to what is allowed from certain groups. There are numerous examples of motorcyclists 'doing the right thing'; not because they have to but because of what they are. Is attempting to force them to 'smooth out their rough edges' the proper thing to do? If it is, why not crusade against others? And why the apparent arbitrariness of this persecution?

I would say all bikers, whether on small or big bikes are socially respectable, apart from the idiots with sooped up, far too loud exhausts. I'm talking about genuine bikers here, those with licences and insurance etc, though I'm afraid most Thai bikers do not come into that category.

• Like 1

With regards to outwards appearances, riding a motorbike for certain groups would be seen as odd or unconventional here (that includes an aspect of it being wrong). Levels of respect would be at danger of being lowered. e.g. Senior female bank executive coming to work on a Z250.

In the West, far greater tolerance is given to non-impacting lifestyle choices, and that would include choosing to ride motorbikes, but PC and related taboos are way more restricting than here.

• Like 1

Yep, in the US biking is a choice since you can get a used car for less.

People might still make fun of a guy riding a Vespa though.

My Thai gf objected to me getting a small bike since it is what the poor Thais use.

This is still an aspirational country so anything smaller than a bigbike is looked down upon by those that can't make independent decisions. This country wastes years of progress just backing in their cars when they park.

Edited by ttakata
  • Like 2

One Post Deleted

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific
or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email
support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

I would say all bikers, whether on small or big bikes are socially respectable, apart from the idiots with sooped up, far too loud exhausts. I'm talking about genuine bikers here, those with licences and insurance etc, though I'm afraid most Thai bikers do not come into that category.

People on motorbikes in Bangkok are a bloody menace. Not "bikers", or Hell's Angels, just people on Hondas, a menace!!wink.png

People on motorbikes in Bangkok are a bloody menace. Not "bikers", or Hell's Angels, just people on Hondas, a menace!!wink.png

Is my little Yamaha OK?

Is my little Yamaha OK?

Depends on how & where you ride it.

Is my little Yamaha OK?

Depends on how & where you ride it.
I ride it legally on the roads. Even in the scrum of motorcycles at the front, when stopped at a light I have not been in trouble. However, I have been run off the road by both cars and trucks. I have been clipped by both as well.

I guess you are boring and you try to fill your freetime with nonsens...........

I have a big Bike as I wanted one and I have a good Job, one wife and 2 kids and my Bike is my Mia Noi.

Having a Big Bike is for some of them (Bikers) a dream as for myself and I like the Wind in my face while riding and for some it's a need if they are with different gangs and or / associations, this has nothing to do with being socially respectable or not.

regards,

• Like 2

I am talking as a pedestrian, who is constantly dodging bikes on the sidewalk (both moving at speed & stationary), cutting up either side of traffic (unseen), and generally ignoring the rules of the road etc.....

So, no different from any other type of vehicles?

I am talking as a pedestrian, who is constantly dodging bikes on the sidewalk (both moving at speed & stationary), cutting up either side of traffic (unseen), and generally ignoring the rules of the road etc.....

I haven't seen too many cars driving on the pavement here, or cutting inside a 4 foot wide space.

I haven't seen too many cars driving on the pavement here, or cutting inside a 4 foot wide space.
stick around, you will :)
  • Like 1

So stand aside and let them through, it will only take a few seconds out of your day. Bikes on the pavement is a way of life here, the locals don't care one jot, so you had better get used to it.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with a bike it is the way they are used that gets most people's back up. I pointed this out to my wife when we went to the UK for a holiday. In the Lake District there was a motor cycle club out for a day. Every one of the guys treated other road users with respect and drove in a safe manner.

The same cant be said for Thailand.

• Like 2

So stand aside and let them through, it will only take a few seconds out of your day. Bikes on the pavement is a way of life here, the locals don't care one jot, so you had better get used to it.

I was first here in '85, and have lived here since '98, still haven't got used to it. A few years ago I saw someone who was one step away from being splattered on the sidewalk near Sukhumvit Soi 20. As I said, If that man had taken one step more forward instead of turning to one side (after walking from behind a bus-stop), he would have suffered serious injury, or worse. Then again, I do not think things will ever change, so why even mention it.

Socially respected ? Definitely. More than that, we are loved, by all the people, everywhere ! Men want to be like us, women want to be with us. w00t.gif

When you consider that a lot of "bikers" in Thailand are business owners, politicians, senior military/police and/or entertainers, not many people would consider them to be "socially unacceptable". Big bikes are pretty expensive over here, some easily costing as much as a new car or even a house, so again, not too many people would "look down" on someone riding a Harley in Thailand.

Exactly the point I was making with the senior bank executive scenario (female), if the value of the ride matches her social status there'd be no issue.

No, we are all scum, otherwise we would be driving cars. That is why women don't ride bikes (by choice), if you don't believe me believe Al Murray.

Mrs Possum rides her own bike, and also drives her own truck. Her bike is only used for local journeys, and the truck for going about 60 Ks to the city etc.

There's nothing unusual in that. I bet loads of women do the same thing.