Is 3BB blocking/throttling torrent traffic?

foxontherun

I've used TOT for over a year, they have been extremely stable as far as any down time. Download speeds fluctuate heavily - sometimes I get a dribble, sometimes the full amount I pay for. I believe the number of seeders available for a torrent has a LOT to do with it, too. Also, heavy traffic times mean slower downloads.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can download on the 963 baht 3BB package and get up to 1.75 Mb/s but not for long as I lose connection and have to reboot the router. This can happen numerous times during the day... if I stop downloading then it work ...

not sure if this is similar... could it be the router ?

I can download on the 963 baht 3BB package and get up to 1.75 Mb/s but not for long as I lose connection and have to reboot the router. This can happen numerous times during the day... if I stop downloading then it work ...

not sure if this is similar... could it be the router ?

I had the same issue with my old 3bb modem. I guess, the modem was overwhelmed wit the in/out traffic. Since i had another TP router, i set the 3bb modem into the bridge mode, connected the tp-link router which then log in to the 3bb service. The new modem/router i got from 3bb works fine.

An update: From what you all were posting here, it sounded like 3BB sometimes throttles torrents on their 10 Mb down/512 Kb up/590 baht DSL plan, but never on their 15 Mb down/1 Mb up/900 baht DSL plan. I stopped into a 3BB shop and arranged to upgrade, figuring this would solve my problem. They gave me a new username and password with which to configure my modem/router, and told me that I would receive the upgraded plan right away upon using the new login credentials. However, after connecting with the new username and password, my torrents are still being throttled. I know this because I subscribe to a VPN service, and as soon as I connect via the VPN, my downloads/uploads begin and attain decent speeds. As soon as I disconnect from the VPN, the file transfers all grind to a halt. Therefore, I know it's not the torrents or the router or any other variable that's the problem; it's 3BB blocking. When they can't see what kind of traffic it is, it works.

I spoke to them on the phone 5 different times yesterday, and was assured several times that they don't do any torrent throttling/blocking. We know that's false. They kept saying that "it should be okay now," but I'm still having the same issue. I tried to reach them twice today, saying I needed to speak to tech support. The first time, the guy who answered said he would transfer me, then disconnected me instead. The second time, someone took my number and said I would get a call back. The person who called me back was not from tech support, and seemed to be calling to tell my that my problem was dealt with yesterday, which it was not, at least not successfully. That's where things stand now. Waiting for another callback, which will be my 9th time on the phone with them in 2 days, and probably not my last.

• 4 months later...

1. If you don't already, get qBittorrent and get rid of uTorrent and other ad driven crap.

2. In Tools->Options->Connection select Use UPnP and use different port at each startup

3. In Tools->Options->BitTorrent select Encryption mode: Require Encryption

This should make it very very hard for providers to classify your traffic.

I used to use uTorrent but recently it became more and more bloatware and tries to install too much extra crap. It was a very light tool doing exactly what needed to be done, but not anymore.

qBittorrent is open source, again minimalistic and basically what uTorrent used to be in its prime. I strongly suggest looking at it.

http://www.qbittorrent.org/download.php

I regularly get close to capacity on 3bb both on adsl and fibre lines.

But then I rarely leave them running for long periods which is the usual trigger for throttling.

Unlikely that you ever speak to staff who would know details of their throttling or be authorised to talk about it... it is standard practice with all providers worldwide along with contention ratios but rarely discussed.

As for the vpn speeding it up, could well be throttling but also other potential variables... routing tables, vpn endpoint location/latency being a couple.

But my guess, the ones slow have crossed a threshold and the fast ones havent...in all providers interests to avoid the few damaging service for the masses (beyond whats capable without issues)

The Thai guy in the Youtube was editting his router to boost his 3bb torrent download speed (irrespective of what torrent client is being used). I tried it and got some success but not always. On one torrent the speed went up to 700kbps from <10kbps but I could not repeat it. I was wondering if this approach is unwise as the port selection is open to hacking?

post-101664-0-33238200-1436066968_thumb.

The Thai guy in the Youtube was editting his router to boost his 3bb torrent download speed (irrespective of what torrent client is being used).

< ... >

I was wondering if this approach is unwise as the port selection is open to hacking?

For P2P to operate a router port forward must be opened and directed to a LAN IP Address to allow your torrent app to receive requests for the data you're seeding.

This can be done either by creating a fixed Open Port entry in your router table (as in the example image), or setting the router to use a feature called Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) to allow NAT traversal using the IGD Protocol. With UPnP, the application (your torrent app) requests and reads the current router table then sends commands to open or close ports as the application need them.

If you set a fixed port forward in the router, a 'listener' must be present on the designated LAN IP Address to receive any packets.

There is actually more of a 'hack' potential when people leave UPnP open on their routers, a rouge application (maybe even Java or JavaScript browser code) on your system can easily open a Port Forward 'door' on your router for all their friends to hack in on vulnerable ports. No name/pass required to access and change the router table from your LAN.

You may have had a 700kbps seeder if they had a fast upload bandwidth and no other users for that bandwidth.

Unless the torrent is hosted on a dedicated server with fast upload bandwidth then it's unlikely you'll see those speeds often.

The whole purpose of multipoint P2P is that 70 people can be uploading to you at 10kbps, and your system will be receiving the torrent at a combined 700kbps.

Edited by RichCor

I had lots of speed problems on my 3BB 15Mb connection until I stopped the wireless connection and switched to a wired connection using an ethernet cable. Since then I've had no problems and no sign of throttlling.

• 2 months later...

Been downloading on the 50/10 for the last 5hrs..

My torrents have been stuck at exactly 1.4mb/s.. sometimes peak at 1.5

25 downloads, most of them 50+ fast peers(seedbox)

Yep no throttle smile.pngPempIbO.png

tried to switch ports, tried to remove some download, try to add some fast ones

Edited by bearpolar

I use a VPN service that has a dedicated P2P server in Panama, my torrents are much faster connected to that than connecting to Thai servers via Sophon.

Using a private tracker also makes Torrents faster, I have one invite for torrentday if anyone wants it, I will need an email to send request to, you will notice the speed go to max, when you leech from them

Not satisfied about torrent speeds, I switched to usenet a couple of years ago. But because usenet is going down (less source sites, popular files gone a day) I switched to a seedbox and start to use torrents again. A seedbox is fantastic ... fast speeds (even on poor seeds) on download and seeding and no need to keep your pc on.

I download from my seedbox to my pc by FTP and for 80% the speeds are full speed (16mbps). The remaining 20% it's around 80% of the full speed. I would think by FTP you ca get high speeds. Or with Internet Download Manager with 32 connections. Of course I don't know if you would get more than 20mbps as I have only 16mbps True internet.

Edited by sniffdog

When you download off your seedbox, are you able to get multiple connections(to max out your speeds)? Because outside of thailand, i can't get the full 50mbps on any single connection or even 20 mbps.

I download from newsgroups from multiple connections and get the full 50mbps however between 17;00-24:00 this speed drops. This is something I have found out to be consistently true with my 3bb connection. I don't complain about it as it is logical.

there is defiately something going on with 3bb the past couple of days or else they are having network issues, I am finding myself having to disconnect and reconnect (refreship) to resume normal speeds for a while then it drops again, vpn is slightly better but not ideal

if they are doing something they are not simply throttling torrent protocols they are limiting the bandwidth for normal http also (everything)

Edited by smedly

As of today and the current time I personally have just downloaded via a torrent sharing site some 17 gigabytes of television programme content in 2 hours and uploading / seeding speed is just fine too.

However I am with True; it's not an expensive monthly plan, 900 baht thereabouts inc vat.

Been with True for around 9 years and no big problems to date

Friend is with BBB and he has nothing but problems.

3bb does throttle connections between 17.00 to 24:00 I download a lot and my speeds go down from 6mb/s to 760kb/s around that time.

Test it with Glasnost during those times. http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/glasnost.php

At least you'll know if it's ISP or not. I'd be interested.

Edited by connda