Sport Touring CBR1000?

WingNut

The CB1000R looks cool. I like the single sided swing arm too. But it looks a bit more like a street fighter design than a sport bike. And the handle bars are more upright than the CBR650F and again not as sporty. Oh well. It's still a nice bike though.

OIt's basically a naked 1000RR and certainly more biased toward sport-touring (which is what you asked about- you didn't say you wanted a specific sport-tourer, but, rather, the closest thing to an existing model)- it's currently the closest thing to the CBR1000RR in that regard as it has the same base engine (retuned, of course, and with more comfortable ergos- it will do the job of a sport-tourer,mojo hgh there are better choices).

For models available in LOS, I'd take a look at the Ninja 1000 (629K, I believe) for a nice sport-tourer with some grunt, and with OEM matching hard luggage that can be purchased through Kawasaki.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

^

True, but I didn't realize it was so big. I wasn't so much recommending it as pointing out it was a true sport-tourer. The Kawi I've actually ridden and I found it huge, and I'm used to bikes over 250kg.

Meh...plenty of times I posted wrong. but since you recommended the Honda I thought a similar option would be cool.

Funnily enough I saw my first Ninja 1000 on Friday night, followed it for a bit while making the hellish journey along Ram Inthra towards Don Muaeng at 6pm. Really nice looking bike, quite wide for that type of insane traffic (5 kms of nose to tail madness) but that journey isn't nice on any bike.

The twin pipes make it wide at the back, they were slowing him down quite a bit through the gaps but then his bike wasn't designed for that type of journey any more than mine was. Looks like a great tourer, lovely sound.

The Ninja 1000 (Z1000SX in the UK) has sufficient grunt at 140+ HP (I even managed to keep up with Highway and Hili on the run to Buriram).

The stock pipes do have a nice sound but it's really quiet. The OEM panniers are ridiculously expensive - 60k baht, almost a tenth of the price of the bike. But Real did me a good deal as I was the second buyer (of the bike) and the first buyer of the panniers - they charged me something like 52k.

It's a sweet engine, especially compared to my Versys. Each time I ride it, I have a grin from ear to ear. Problem is that with it being so new and uncommon in Thailand, there aren't many accessories for it yet. Furthermore, if you fit the OEM panniers, the grip bars have to be changed and it's then no longer possible to put a top box on. The panniers are only 27/28 litres each and a fairly odd shape (looks good, but not very practical) so you can't pack the kitchen sink on a long trip.

It's thirsty too - a full tank (21 litres I think) will give me just a bit over 200 km as opposed to the 300 km on my 17 litre Versys. Good think oil prices are quite cheap currently.

post-143305-0-14828600-1425319720_thumb.

Nice bike Gman.

app 10 km/l is not impressive but you don't get those +140hp for free.

So what is the main difference between your N1000 and a Versys 1000, I think the big V only has 120hp so not same engine?

Nice bike Gman.

app 10 km/l is not impressive but you don't get those +140hp for free.

So what is the main difference between your N1000 and a Versys 1000, I think the big V only has 120hp so not same engine?

Don't know the answer to that guzzi. I'm not a specs kind of guy, don't care too much about specs to be honest. I prefer to sit on the bike, twist the throttle and see how it goes in terms of power and comfort.

I'm surprised though that the N and V are different engines. I believe the N and Z are the same engine, just with different settings. The N is also a 4-stroke in-line four. I would have thought the Kawasaki guys would also use the engine but I have no idea.