Painting a 2 story house outside, how much?

guzzi850m2

Our house in Pattaya needs new paint outside, it's looking a bit shabby now.

Our contractor is very good, we used him for all improvements in the house since we bought it new in 2009.

The small things that was not good was always promptly fixed after they had done the job and no extra charge demanded because he takes pride in his job.

He have quoted us 155k baht for the painting outside, the paint alone will cost app 50k baht. He said he will use a very good paint brand, forgot the name.

They will sand down the old paint and paint 3 times.

The house is quite big & tall and they will have to rig scaffolding to get up to the upper walls & wood work under the roof.

The Wall around the house will be done as well and the iron gate taken off and bought to their workshop for sandblasting and repaint.

I think he said app 3 weeks for the job, not sure how many people are involved.

Does the quoted price sound reasonable?

100K Baht / 21 days = 4761 per day.

Giving the foreman 1000/day, leaves 3761/day for workers.

If he brings along 11 workers, yes, it's an OK price.

Contractor not allowed to work for a profit, wages only ?

I don't know how it is in Pattaya but it is very difficult to find a contractor in Bangkok. Since we started the renovation in our house at least four of our neighbours came to ask if our contractor could come to their place for some work. Most of them are not interested in small jobs less than 100,000 TBH.

At 1000 Baht/day for the boss, and 342 Baht/day for workers, doing a simple painting job, trust me, they are making as much profit as they would anywhere. I think we all know there's no way they will turn up as a troupe of 12 though wink.png

It's not like the boss is going to spend 8 hours/day on the site (maybe lucky if he spends 3-4 hours/week there) and it's unlikely the workers actually get 342 baht/day in their pockets.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input guys.

Well I had a closer look at my house just now and have decided that painting above ground floor level is a waste of paint/money.

It is only the ground floor walls that looks shabby, 1st floor is in general good condition, the contractor is now on the way to my house for discussing the work scope.

I will go with him to purchase the paint.

Yes off-course he wants to earn money, even me as a non rocket scientist can understand thatwink.png

As I mentioned before, I been very happy with his work so far and I don't think his prices are outrageous.

His people are always cheerful and polite and I was very saddened when I heard his foreman had fallen off a roof somewhere and been brain damaged and will now move back to Myanmar, he was such a nice guy when he was working in my house about 4 years ago. sad.png

This reminds me of a job I went to look at 18 month ago. A large bungalow sitting on a 3 rai square plot, surrounded by high boundary walls. It was a a repainting job together with some crack repairing mainly to the boundary walls. I measured the whole area and estimated 21 days, for 3/4 men.

my total was 81000 as you see, but submitted at 65k. The job was never undertaken but I can guarantee the customer didnt get a more accurate costing. The first item was infact for myself as project manager.

you could try and put together your own budget estimate, just go through the whole process of how you would do it yourself and the costs involved. find a sutable paint and check out the coverage per coat then you can get an approx price per m2. labour you can add on as a rate per day. I forget now but I based my rates here on timed basis of output per hour; but thats how to cost up jobs properly; you can simplify it.

From other comments above; I would hazard a guess that your price should be similar to this one. which also had just short of 50k materials

painting.xls

Edited by eyecatcher
  • Like 1

edited; attached file as I should have done in first place!

Very interesting to see how you broke it down. Is it normal to break the wall up into all those parts?

I stress it is not my area of expertise but I would have expected a price per square meter which would have included the pillars/top etc?

I am always very suspicious of an overall price per metre. It simply doesnt always reflect the amount of work involved.

This is really of schedule of works a much simplified version of a bill of quants.

Of course the customer never sees this breakdown; at best it woulf be split into foundations; beams and columns; floors roof structure etc the major components.

My walls on the breakdown were mainly boundary walls and they involved several procedures and remedials.

But for people who simply balk at a price....just look at whaat costs are actually involved.

• Like 1

I talked to a friend of mine that also had his 1 story much smaller house repainted and that cost him app 85k baht.

My contractor says 100k baht for ground floor only and the walls surrounding the property (app 110 wah), gate taken off and going to the shop, change one damaged ceiling plate under the patio and finding the leak that caused it. I will buy 2 ceiling fans and they will take down the old one and fit the 2 new ones.

He told my wife that he can't keep his skilled workers unless he pays them 600 baht per day or they go else where and I sort of believe him since we can't keep house keepers (not live in) unless we pay them min 500 baht per day here in Pattaya. One left after she demanded 600 per day and my wife told her; no.

Minimum wage is as we know 300 per day but in Pattaya that is not the case, everybody I know that have house keepers are having big problems keeping them. One woman in the moo baan pays 800 per day so they don't run away all the time, so she sort of ruins it for everybody but she don't care since she got enough money.

At 1000 Baht/day for the boss, and 342 Baht/day for workers, doing a simple painting job, trust me, they are making as much profit as they would anywhere. I think we all know there's no way they will turn up as a troupe of 12 though wink.png

It's not like the boss is going to spend 8 hours/day on the site (maybe lucky if he spends 3-4 hours/week there) and it's unlikely the workers actually get 342 baht/day in their pockets.

So company profit is zero.... other than daily wages ?

Edited by Don Mega

We had two bedrooms painted (walls only - two coats) and two bathroom ceilings/one small bedroom (two coats) and large living room (walls only - two coats and two outside walls plus new pvc floor molding to replace rotted wood in one bedroom. Total work time for working supervisor and two helpers was 3 days. Excellent work with waterproof filler used everywhere paint came off during preparation. This is in Bangkok - today.

Cost of materials - bills provided as bought - 7,093 baht

Cost of labor 1,700 x 3 = 5100

Total bill 12,200 to which we provided 13,000 as work was outstanding and no objection to moving items and helping to return.