You know you have been in Thailand when ?

berybert

For me it was yesterday when I was in a Tesco mini store. 1 person on the counter and a few people waiting. Cashier rings the bell to get another server out.

The woman behinds me got to the second cashier before I did, but she knew I was first.

I said rather wrongly muttered <deleted> off I was before you.

She smiled and said sorry, at this time I thought I have been here to long as I am hating everything about the country.

In my defence I looked to see what the woman was buying, which was a bottle of water. So I pressed 10 baht into her hand and said sorry.

I found myself being Mr Grumpy yesterday and had a similar thought as Costas above.

Then I realised I was winding down from the drive in.............

A good job some <deleted in advance> didn't try to give me 10 baht! :D

• Like 1

I agree with Docno - generally, Thai people are very polite. Impolite people do happen everywhere, unfortunately.

Having spent much time in Thailand I think it is some other Asian race/s that are not so polite (putting it nicely)! coffee1.gif

If you do leave Thailand, I suggest that you stay far away from Singapore, where I've stayed for 15 years. What you describe is mild by comparison. I'm actually impressed by the general politeness of the Thais. Geez - on BTS platforms they actually wait for passengers to leave the train before entering. In Singapore, it's more like a battle scene from Braveheart.

Ah yes, the Chinese, always pushing and shoving, no matter where they fetch up! It was just the same when I lived there in the early 70s. Many of us used to carry umbrellas when we were commuting. A very useful 'tool' for prodding your way onto the bus.

I used similar tactics when I stayed in China a few years back.

Yes, I agree. Thais are far more polite and patient.

But I prefer Chinese food, but don't tell the wife. wink.png

The woman behinds me got to the second cashier before I did, but she knew I was first.

The rule book on this one isn't completely clear. Did you check with the ref or linesman? You may have been offside, something that no one really underrstands

829061-14175658-640-360.jpg

• Like 2

I agree with Docno - generally, Thai people are very polite. Impolite people do happen everywhere, unfortunately.

Having spent much time in Thailand I think it is some other Asian race/s that are not so polite (putting it nicely)! coffee1.gif

I used to be polite now I am just pure down right gracious.wai.gif

Good recovery - great reflexes !

Dropped the ball, and then caught it again before it hit the ground !!

We all have bad days and this place can get to you - but they all do/will eventually when you live somewhere (as opposed to a holiday visit).

OP, if you hate everything about this country, why are you still here?

Is this a kind of masochism, torturing yourself?

As about the 10Baht, please, cut the BS, you don't look better in my eyes.

You know you have been in Thailand when............... you read sh*it like this, scribbled by an idiot allegedly from greece, the bankrupt country with its only asset - the acrockofsh*it !

Edited by thejcb
  • Like 1

The correct way to handle this situation would be to smile and say something like thank you or better still khop khun khrap. Thais are vaguely flummoxed by sarcasm if not totally disarmed. The result will either be her standing aside or you enjoying her discomfiture at having queue jumped. No need to part with 10 baht to improve your day.

You could have put the water in your basket and insisted on being Jai Dee. That way you can be gracious in paying for the water, but also have to make the person wait for your checkout to finish, so they didn't beat the queue.

• Like 1

I doubt very much that he is wink.png

You see it all the time in the west as well. Supermarket queue. New till opens up. First come, first served.

So you know you've been in Thailand when you're looking for a reason to be pissed off at the locals of a country you've decided to live in. a

• Like 2

It does not make me hate Thailand, but a lot of people are just incasiderate of others. Plus what are most people in such a rush for? It is like they have a bet going on that they will get where they are going in 5mins and nothing is going to stop them! The other day my wife and I were walking and this lady was trying to get around us, she just HAD to get around us. Well she finally got around us, just to stop in front of a shop two shops away to stare in the window!?

I doubt very much that he is wink.png

You know you have been in Thailand to long when you accuse other posters of not living there.

• Like 1

Well OP Im afraid Im of the first in first serve when a new till opens, I usually stay in the original queue as by the time the other opens Im served 50% of the time.

For the poster about people with their heads buried in their phones a loud "heads up" usually frightens the hell out of em and puts a smile on my dial.

ok so why did you give her 10 bht??

that's just &lt;deleted&gt; weird..

NOW what do you eman about this post.. you see ive noticed thai people if more than any other place inasia respect lines and have quite decent manners relating to lining up being served and such things.. ive never had an issue when I point out im first they accept it without any issue..

much better than philipines japane china korea ect..quite rude when compared to thais in such situations..\infact in such situations id say thais are far superior to semitic/medeterranian places.. as manners in those places in public is non existent..

and in places in eastern Europe as well you can see everybody wants to push in but they know they'll be a fight.. I saw some people get new faces in Russia for just such a thing:P

but in Thailand never seen anything of the sort..

infact id say with alcohol too thai.. and most Asiatic people act quite well..

you go to Mongolia.. Russia Kazakhstan and youll see rude crazy aggressive people sip alcohol and turn to dangerous rude crazy people. I saw one drunk attempt to murder his drinking buddy with a large rock and a knife in Mongolia in the middle of the day and people there thought it was just normal funny infact!!

no id say Thailand in public mostly they are respecting some very clear social rules in some ways.. in toher ways hey sneaky rude little bastards..

but in the way of hawking goods, drinking, lining up buying things, using the toilet inpublic places...... ect theyer very good and all follow the basic rules..its not like india or some place where people paint the toilet walls their their own shit...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This isnt just Thailand, the world we live in is so hectic, it makes everyone grumpy and less chilled. Qing makes me grumpy no matter what city i am in. Wouldnt worry about it.

------

You know you are in Thailand when you have toilet paper on the dining table.