Traffic ticket, where can you pay them

robblok

I am curious as I always worry about getting a ticket and having to look for the local police station. Is it possible to pay them at an other police station.

Of course often you can pay the ticket on the spot or a cop asks for a bribe.. but there are times you get a ticket and have to pay it somewhere.

Are they allowed to take your keys until you pay or what (don't think so) and have heard people hanging on to tickets as they can't be ticket twice.

I am not that bad on my bike but i refuse to stay on the most left lane because its dangerous for me so it happens once in a while that i get a ticket.. same could happen for flyovers and stuff. The idea just stresses me out a bit and makes riding less enjoyable.

A while back i drove to nakhon phatom and was constantly forced onto the main road from the frontage road and back again (signs). On the way back i just ignored it and stayed on the main road (a ticket-able offence). I dont mind paying up.. i know im wrong.. but I do mind all the hassle that goes with it.

Normally they take your licence, so you have to go to whatever station they took the licence to in order to get it back.

I heard that too.. that is what i mean with the hassle. Especially when your riding in the unknown its not a nice prospect.

Normally they take your licence, so you have to go to whatever station they took the licence to in order to get it back.

I heard that too.. that is what i mean with the hassle. Especially when your riding in the unknown its not a nice prospect.

They quite often stress how far away the station is as well, just to encourage you to "pay fine here"... One time I got pulled on the way to Koh Chang (near Klaeng) and he reckoned the station was 60kms in the direction I'd just come from.

I've only paid the official fine once on the bike (very official stop in Central BKK and the cop wouldn't budge), it took over an hour to pay at the police station due to other people queueing to pay. Not to mention the time getting there and back. Wasted my afternoon because I didn't want to ride on the left lane risking my life having taxis and buses pull across me all day.

Arent you allowed to pay by bank transfer? I heard they then send your license by post to your home? True or rumour?

So far i allways were able to "pay" right on the spot. So no need to search police stations.

They quite often stress how far away the station is as well, just to encourage you to "pay fine here"... One time I got pulled on the way to Koh Chang (near Klaeng) and he reckoned the station was 60kms in the direction I'd just come from.

I've only paid the official fine once on the bike (very official stop in Central BKK and the cop wouldn't budge), it took over an hour to pay at the police station due to other people queueing to pay. Not to mention the time getting there and back. Wasted my afternoon because I didn't want to ride on the left lane risking my life having taxis and buses pull across me all day.

It has not happened to me yet.. but its one fear I have. I prefer an on the spot fine even if its the same price as the official one.

But I always figured they did not want you to pay at other stations as that meant the revenue went to an other office.

But then I don't get it how people can ride around with a ticket.. probably because the guy has your license..

Bangkok is probably the worst place as there are so many police stations. Pattaya is easy. I had to do it twice when I lived there. Yes they keep your license and you often have to then go back to where they stopped you and hope the same policeman is still there to get the license back. Second time I went to the police station the guy said "See you soon".

Got an official fine once, coming off of Krung Thon bridge going East into Dusit. After you come off the bridge there's a lane that goes straight which is for buses only. Everyone else is supposed to turn to the left.

I went straight and got stopped by a very no-nonsense cop who was stopping everybody, writing tickets with no discussion and taking licenses. He wrote me a ticket for 500 baht and I had to go to the station to get my license back.

The funny thing was, the cops at the station were way friendlier than the guy giving out tickets. They told me that the cop who wrote the ticket was kind of renowned for being an uptight prick, and even agreed to reduce the fine to 300 baht.

• Like 1

I got a ticket a couple of years ago as I parked outside the bank facing the wrong way on a red/white painted kerb. My licence was taken and told I had to pay to get it back at the BIB's shop. Ah but corruption worked in my favour, a friend of the wife is a BIB. The next day I got my licence back with a smile and paid nothing. The same town where I live and can drink on voting day when the locals can't. I think I should run for towm Mayor.

I once got a ticket for incorrect parking opposite the Police station in Hua Hin. The kind officer offered to pay the fine he wrote out for me ..and allowed me to stay illegally parked...but I chose to move..didn't need a second 200 baht fine

Edited by ICECOOL

i have been told that the police has no right to keep your driving licence.

Once I was stopped at a checkpoint, and had this discussion with the cop.

He politely smiled and acknowledged, but mentioned that he had the right to have me blow in the breathanalyser.

Depends on the type of cop, if he is from a police station he will send your license to the station where you have 7 days to pay your ticket. Your ticket is your temp license for that time. If he is at a police Box it will be held there you need to ask the officer. The policy of taking the license is to eliminate the bribe on the side of the road however when you go to get your stuff back it depends on the officer of the day to what your fine is.