How much for excess luggage when moving to Thailand?

sotonfarang

We are going to be moving to Thailand in a couple of months and my wife, 6 year old daughter and I have alot of things that we would like to take with us.

Has anybody had any experience with taking extra suitcases and if one airlines charges / service are cheaper or better than any of the others.

Do they allow you more if your visa is a long one?

Just thought i`d ask before I call them all,

Thanks in advance.

You would need to call them or look on their website wouldn't you? ?

Extra suitcases because it's an extra long visa! That's a good one haha.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

How much will you actually want to bring, in kilos? How many bags?

Excess baggage charges vary wildly according to the airline used. Some are cheap, some cost more than the original ticket. Most if not all seem to be limited to a couple of extra bags. There are normally good discounts to be had for pre-payment before check-in.

So you might be better off looking at shipping your belongings here, which should be a lot cheaper.

Either way you should bear in mind that you may get charged customs duty on the import unless you have followed the correct procedure for a duty-free import of personal items when moving to Thailand. The taxes could be very high, so watch out.

• Like 1

checked out emirates last week and 4 excess baggage they charge £40 per kilo !!! double wow!! 10% discount if u booked it online in advance. so googled it and found a co sori links on other comp and they offered shipping by sea ,door to door ,they deliver the boxs to u and then pick them up when u're ready , the 2 boxs each containing 30 kgs per box max, for £115 total they reckoned it will take 62 days

or up to 8 x 30 kgs boxes for £200

or one box with 26 kgs by air for £155 and that took 12 days.

I'll send u the name of the co when

i'm on my laptop.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

No extra baggage for "long stay" smile.png

Ask for unaccompanied baggage (somewhat similar to an air freight). Much cheaper.

That means the bags travel before you on whatever route the transport company chooses (usually not on your flight).

If carefully planned the bags will be there before your arrival and you can pick them up for customs clearance at their warehouse right away.

Friend of mine did this with 4 suitcases.

Can not remember what he paid though.

Where do you come from?

This seems to be a UK company:

http://www.excess-baggage.com/articles/unaccompanied_baggage.php

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

oh my quote was from an address in london delivered to an adress in Bangkok. one of the things they said to avoid extra tax and presumably extra hastle was 4 you to be in thailand when the packages arrive at the the dock or airport. they also said allow 7 - 12 days on top of travel time for.custom clearance

BA are good if you want to bring extra belongings. You pay a flat fee for an extra suitcase of around £55, which allows you to bring another 23kg of stuff.

Thats very good indeed......Standard Airline charges are 1% of the IATA listed One Way First Class Fare.......

Cant recall last time I asked but it was around £14 a Kilo back then

BA are good if you want to bring extra belongings. You pay a flat fee for an extra suitcase of around £55, which allows you to bring another 23kg of stuff.

if thats right that is good

the co' i got the quotes of is called sevenseasworldwide.com

gives u an online quote and then under contact us there is a free phone no and they are v helpful.

• Like 2

When we moved here, we paid for extra luggage and it was something like $100 per bag, limit of 22kg or something like that. I was a frequent flyer with them, so got a bit of a break. We each carried on a bag, we both had backpacks that were full that we stuffed under our seats, and we got 2 bags for free and 1 paid for as checked luggage. That's a lot of stuff.

I checked into some shipping companies and the prices didn't seem cheap. So, on each trip back home, we'd do the above and eventually got a majority of our stuff here for not a lot of money.

As mentioned above, each airline is different as is each class of service.

• 4 weeks later...

Just checking the possibility of bringing a whole load of personal effects from the UK when I return to Chiang Mai in June. Chose to fly BA due not only to a reasonable price of the fare but it does look like their extra bag rate is a good deal if you buy online before departure, Currently it looks like I could bring 9 additional checked in bags of 23 kg each in addition to the Economy allowance of I 23kg checked bag and a cabin bag (23 kg but the volume will be the limiting factor, I guess). The cost per kilo works out to only £1.73 (about 100 baht if I recall) and this looks competitive with shipping by Seven Seas, bearing in mind the receiving agent's charges which are an unknown at the moment and so I'm assuming they'd turn out to be an unwelcome shock.

Has anyone tried going through Suvarnabhumi with a huge collection of boxes and then arranging onward transport? I was thinking I could have a van come down from CM, meet the flight and take me and the luggage home. The personal stuff is free of high duty items like electronics and I'd prepare an inventory and packing list but any ideas how customs would treat it?

(Helpful) thoughts on this slightly crazy idea would gratefully received.

I think if you are planning to bring a lot over but don't want spend anything extra you book with one of the airlines that give you 30kg bag allowance plus 8 kg or whatever hand luggage. You then wear all your heavy clothes and put heavy books or whatever in your pockets, camera round you neck etc. Emirates, Etihad and Qatar all seem to be good and you may even get a really good airfare.

Just checking the possibility of bringing a whole load of personal effects from the UK when I return to Chiang Mai in June. Chose to fly BA due not only to a reasonable price of the fare but it does look like their extra bag rate is a good deal if you buy online before departure, Currently it looks like I could bring 9 additional checked in bags of 23 kg each in addition to the Economy allowance of I 23kg checked bag and a cabin bag (23 kg but the volume will be the limiting factor, I guess). The cost per kilo works out to only £1.73 (about 100 baht if I recall) and this looks competitive with shipping by Seven Seas, bearing in mind the receiving agent's charges which are an unknown at the moment and so I'm assuming they'd turn out to be an unwelcome shock.

Has anyone tried going through Suvarnabhumi with a huge collection of boxes and then arranging onward transport? I was thinking I could have a van come down from CM, meet the flight and take me and the luggage home. The personal stuff is free of high duty items like electronics and I'd prepare an inventory and packing list but any ideas how customs would treat it?

(Helpful) thoughts on this slightly crazy idea would gratefully received.

Looks like I made a mistake on the baggage rates. Fortunately, I decided not to struggle with a huge multi-trolley load of boxes so it doesn't matter but if you're reading this and thinking you found a deal, be warned that the rates I quoted in the above post are for Euro Traveller, not World Traveller which as you might guess is significantly more expensive.

I think you'll find it depends on the quantity. If you ship small amounts, the minimums for clearance and handling and delivery at the receiving end can turn out very high in proportion to the actual cost of freight. Couple that with what one suspects may be a "cosy working relationship" with the customs and walking through the airport with some extra bags and taking them home with you may not be much different.

However, I was so wrong in this case that I thought it was worth correcting it in case anyone dug up the thread in the future and got excited smile.png

The BA extra bag rate does apply to flights to Thailand - I've used it several times. As I said above, it's around £55 if paid in advance, for an extra 23 kilos.

good to know, and i presume you can purchase that with all fares ?