Fortuner after market parts

craighj

Hi There

I just purchased a Toyota Fortuner, picked it up last Saturday.

I was wondering if anyone knows a decent after market parts dealer / fitter in Bangkok. Things like suspension or break upgrades.

Craighj

lol

For brakes there's only one vendor you need to talk to: BJ Runstop

For suspension, many more choices - but you better be able to explain exactly what your goals are, otherwise you might end up with some super-soft system great for rock climbing, but useless on the highway.

For other bling bling stuff, R-Style Racing is a good place to start.

• Like 1

Thanks IMHO

Much appreciate the information.

I've had Fortuners before, good vehicles in my opinion, decent motors, generally good resale.

The suspension can be a tad hard for city driving, I do both but more city than up country.

No major changes, just want to talk to someone who knows their stuff and possibly make a few minor improvements for comforts sake.

lol

For suspension, many more choices - but you better be able to explain exactly what your goals are, otherwise you might end up with some super-soft system great for rock climbing, but useless on the highway.

Runstop is an interesting subject. They sell rear disc conversion kits to replace the drum system

I myself 5 years ago ordered a disc package for my Pajero Sport, everything is included in the kit for the conversion.

After having all the parts fitted at the Mitsu garage we then discover the ABS is not working correctly, the wheels are locking when you hit the brakes hard. It appears they sell conversion kits that may or do not work with the OEM set up. The later PS have discs all round and have changed the bias valves to match the 4 disc package. I was informed drums and discs operate under different pressure, but none of this is mentioned by Runstop when they supply the kit.

For myself on this particular vehicle there is no gain in fitting rear discs as opposed to the standard drums, I like to tinker around with my vehicle but this conversion was 30k Baht down the drain.

I am interested if I am missing something here regarding the kits they supply and if they will work correctly with the OEM system on the vehicle they are being fitted.

lol

Runstop is an interesting subject. They sell rear disc conversion kits to replace the drum system

I myself 5 years ago ordered a disc package for my Pajero Sport, everything is included in the kit for the conversion.

After having all the parts fitted at the Mitsu garage we then discover the ABS is not working correctly, the wheels are locking when you hit the brakes hard. It appears they sell conversion kits that may or do not work with the OEM set up. The later PS have discs all round and have changed the bias valves to match the 4 disc package. I was informed drums and discs operate under different pressure, but none of this is mentioned by Runstop when they supply the kit.

For myself on this particular vehicle there is no gain in fitting rear discs as opposed to the standard drums, I like to tinker around with my vehicle but this conversion was 30k Baht down the drain.

I am interested if I am missing something here regarding the kits they supply and if they will work correctly with the OEM system on the vehicle they are being fitted.

Not sure what to say. Everyone I know had the brakes done by Runstop themselves, and I've never heard of such a problem. I have to also say that everyone I know did the full upgrade (front and rear) though.

Yours is the first negative feedback I've ever heard about Runstop. Taken under advisement, thanks :)

Edited by IMHO

I've noticed that in the past there has been a lot of discussion on replacing rear drums breaks with disk breaks. To be honest I must say that I am none the wiser after reading the for and against arguments.

Most who have had the conversion done say that it has significantly improved break performance, which seems logical. While those on the negative say it makes little difference and is a waste of money.

I don't really want to open up the discussion again and I'm no mechanic. Just thinking about improving the breaks and suspension without making major changes to the car.

Craighj

I've noticed that in the past there has been a lot of discussion on replacing rear drums breaks with disk breaks. To be honest I must say that I am none the wiser after reading the for and against arguments.

Most who have had the conversion done say that it has significantly improved break performance, which seems logical. While those on the negative say it makes little difference and is a waste of money.

I don't really want to open up the discussion again and I'm no mechanic. Just thinking about improving the breaks and suspension without making major changes to the car.

Craighj

I think the general consensus is, changing rear drums to discs makes no real difference, other than cosmetic. Doing the full upgrade, with larger front discs & bigger calipers is different though - because then increased rear stopping power can actually be used.

• Like 2

Thanks IMHO

I tend to agree that if you were going to do an upgrade you should go the whole hog. Although there were even varying opinions on that in some of last years treads.

Like most things I guess it's about personal choice and getting enough information on the subject before making an informed choice. As my dear old dad said, everyone has an opinion on everything.

Craighj

Is there a problem with the Fortuners stock brakes.......?

I have driven these rides, and Vigos and found the brakes excellent..

It does a good enough job of slowing it's self down on even the slightest incline. Move over to the slow lane with the rest of the struggling trucks. whistling.gif

• Like 1

lol

Not sure what to say. Everyone I know had the brakes done by Runstop themselves, and I've never heard of such a problem. I have to also say that everyone I know did the full upgrade (front and rear) though.

Yours is the first negative feedback I've ever heard about Runstop. Taken under advisement, thanks smile.png

You may have a point that its best to fit the complete package front & rear.

It appears to me the rear set they provide with the 4 callipers is over spec compared to the OEM front. I have had no issues regarding the quality of there products. The discs, pads, & callipers have been trouble free for 5 years and they carry a full set of spares should parts be required.

If I knew for sure that by changing the front OEM to Runstop then I would go ahead and order but I am thinking I may face the same issue as my vehicle bias valve is set up for discs and drums.

I went and checked the new bias valve set up on the new model thinking I could fit this one but its way to big a job as the new system is completely different.

I live in Ubon so its a long drive to Bangkok to visit the Runstop shop and have it all checked out

Not sure if this is what you're asking, but, up until 2008, there were problems with the front discs warping on Fortuners - but Toyota rectified that for free.

If you live in the mountains and like to drive 'spirited', or drive with big heavy loads, or like to drive extra fast, you will certainly come to find the limits of the OE brakes one day - after a few heavy stops from high speed or high load in succession, they can start to fade pretty dramatically, and you can literally smell the heat. This goes for all PPV's I've driven not just the Tuna.

The OE brakes are of course fine for regular driving and emergency stops. I think you get the type of driver/conditions I'm referring to :)

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 2

You can always change the suspension to the Sportivo set up, will lower the car by some 1"+ all round, you will find that it'll be more ridged on the road but also a lot harder ride wise. Prohibitive cost wise I would think.

Brakes rear discs (Run Stop) I have had them done on my Sportivo.

Are they any good regarding stopping, I estimate 35/40% improvement with no fading even after heavy usage, but there is one downer the hand brake isn't as efficient, cure pull it up an extra notch.

They also take some getting used to as the car will stop dead with the slightest pressure on pedal at low speed.

Cost for brake as other's have quoted 30th+ fitted.

If you don't do long runs 'at high speed when available' don't bother with either. Save your cash and have a good meal or several.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is what you're asking, but, up until 2008, there were problems with the front discs warping on Fortuners - but Toyota rectified that for free.

If you live in the mountains and like to drive 'spirited', or drive with big heavy loads, or like to drive extra fast, you will certainly come to find the limits of the OE brakes one day - after a few heavy stops from high speed or high load in succession, they can start to fade pretty dramatically, and you can literally smell the heat. This goes for all PPV's I've driven not just the Tuna.

The OE brakes are of course fine for regular driving and emergency stops. I think you get the type of driver/conditions I'm referring to smile.png

Yep, now an old guy driver, nooooooooooooooo probs,,,smile.png

• Like 1

If You need to modify a Sportivo Truck, you bought the wrong ride.Lipstick on A Pig yet again.Pretend Range Rovers ,like the big eds who GENERALY drive them..Give me T.A,s ride any-day super value.thumbsup.gif

Yehhhhhhhhh, even in my Trucky ride I can put fear into riders.......If I want..........But her indoors w00t.gif if I do that stuff..............sad.png ..........smile.png ......I hate getting old though..........But will never give up being a rascallllllllllllllllllll.................smile.png

• Like 1

If You need to modify a Sportivo Truck, you bought the wrong ride.Lipstick on A Pig yet again.Pretend Range Rovers ,like the big eds who GENERALY drive them..Give me T.A,s ride any-day super value.thumbsup.gif

Yehhhhhhhhh, even in my Trucky ride I can put fear into riders.......If I want..........But her indoors w00t.gif if I do that stuff..............sad.png ..........smile.png ......I hate getting old though..........But will never give up being a rascallllllllllllllllllll.................smile.png

I've almost soiled myself as a passenger in an anemic Almera though.. driving motoring journo style though :P

Please correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't TA sorted the engine improving the power from the standard version on his Vigo.

Has he brought the wrong ride as well by your calculation seems like yet another lipstick on a pig???

Edited by fredob43

I brought nothing.............coffee1.gif

Brought Bought I thought you would understand having read AOP posts, that are mostly if not off topic badly spelt.

But it doesn't alter the fact that taking AOP logic or lack of, your Vigo is still a pig with lipstick, not unlike my Fortuner.

Brought Bought I thought you would understand having read AOP posts, that are mostly if not off topic badly spelt.

But it doesn't alter the fact that taking AOP logic or lack of, your Vigo is still a pig with lipstick, not unlike my Fortuner.

Heeeeey guy, you wrote brought........Must I try and work out what you are trying to say....Gawd....rolleyes.gif

Heeeeey guy, you wrote brought........Must I try and work out what you are trying to say....Gawd....rolleyes.gif

Sorry but you wrote brought................rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

One Post Removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting
towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be
allowed.
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities

But I think that if the author of the offending post does it again, suspension will result.