Local leader caught red handed receiving bribes

Thaivisa News

I love it.

More of that, please, dear government.

The turning point against corruption and kickbacks is not far away.

Yes.

More of this.

In an effort to instill confidence in the Thai populace,

Let's start with investigating the head of the "government", the Chief of Police, (hand-picked by the head of the "government")

And the head of the Army.

Then, there may be turning point.

Being impartial and all, would you not agree?

Which begs the question. Were you happy with the last chief of police, the last Prime Minister or the last government? Speak up, give us your reasons.

Are you more happy in the day or at night?

How do like your eggs? Scrambled or sunny side up?

Pointless as your begging question.

Focus on hypocrisy.

As I have stated on these boards several times, I could not care less about simplistic parlour talk such as yours.

I could not care less about red, yellow, black, green or even saffron.

Squabbling over colors.

facepalm.gif

Perhaps, take a look at the bigger picture of human nature at play here.

That's what I address.

So, please don't try to drag me down to your petty, this guy that guy/girl did that nonsense.

Were you happy...?

facepalm.gif

If more of this happens and gets reported in the news if could have the affect of stopping 5-10 more corrupt officials from soliciting bribes just because the scare has now been put into them.

Keep it up guys. Let's see more of this in the news. This is how you make a difference and start to change a culture of corruption.

Edited by oneday
  • Like 1

I love it.

Yes.

More of this.

In an effort to instill confidence in the Thai populace,

Let's start with investigating the head of the "government", the Chief of Police, (hand-picked by the head of the "government")

And the head of the Army.

Then, there may be turning point.

Being impartial and all, would you not agree?

Which begs the question. Were you happy with the last chief of police, the last Prime Minister or the last government? Speak up, give us your reasons.

Are you more happy in the day or at night?

How do like your eggs? Scrambled or sunny side up?

Pointless as your begging question.

Focus on hypocrisy.

As I have stated on these boards several times, I could not care less about simplistic parlour talk such as yours.

I could not care less about red, yellow, black, green or even saffron.

Squabbling over colors.

facepalm.gif

Perhaps, take a look at the bigger picture of human nature at play here.

That's what I address.

So, please don't try to drag me down to your petty, this guy that guy/girl did that nonsense.

Were you happy...?

facepalm.gif

Well were you happy? It's not rocket science. It's a yes or no question.

• Like 1

not sure too many contractors would be willing to take part in a sting operation like this as it wouldn't be long before they are out of jobs, wouldn't be so bad if there was a proper tendering procedure that is back up by stiff regulations and is actually regulated by an authority

The problem arises when corruption is discovered if by a Thai observer, or victim, they clam up and will not say a thing, Thais as a whole

will not speak up, for fear of the raft and consequences of doing such a thing. Rules of the past has been embedded between their crusted brain cells that some one is going to be killed, or family clad wipe clean from the face of the Klong river. I have gone to several Bon meetings to complain to housing management about roads, trash, and unauthorized persons entering our small compound. These home owners will speak out amongst them selves in a very shallow voice, but before a meeting....they have no backbone, but will watch a foreigner speak up

and point out the issues, time and time again!.......getting tired of this.

Only the smallest tip of a very big iceberg.

Sure, and in its self of little significance.

What this, along with some of the other recent events in Thailand does is to start people to question the status que. What needs to change is a attitude that has evolved over a number of generations and resulted in a total disregard for the law or what should be social norms. We have the everyone else is doing it so why shouldn't I. Individuals and organisations have operated with the knowledge that others are doing this so I can not be challenged..

I don't know why this contractor did what he did and it does not really matter. What is occurring is that individuals are starting to feel empowered to speak up against curuption. The empowerment of individuals and groups to speak up, and what they say be acted upon is one of the changes that are required if Thailand is ever to become a real democracy.

Some TVF posts constantly complain that not enough is being done or that it is only the small fish that are being caught. Every journey has a first step - and taking that first step takes courage. The problem that this Government has is that corruption is endemic and ingrained in society. That is not to say I feel sorry for the government: when you take on power you take on responsibility that goes with the power. If we look at the totality of what has happened since the Military takeover then the changes can be seen to be more significant than when viewed in isolation.

A significant reduction in corruption (it will never be eliminated in any society) would constitute a revolution - revolutions come with their own dangers. However the benefits of a revolution of this type (societal attitude change to corruption and the rule of law) the benefits to society and the economy makes the risks worthwhile as long as the Thai people remain vigilant.

Blah, blah blah…He got caught.

Some can surely come out with fanciful stories when they get caught out.

Seems to be a common thread in Thailand now. Corruption being stemmed from the little guys like this all the way up to police chiefs.

I look forward to this new trend in Thailand continuing.

• Like 1

The problem arises when corruption is discovered if by a Thai observer, or victim, they clam up and will not say a thing, Thais as a whole

will not speak up, for fear of the raft and consequences of doing such a thing. Rules of the past has been embedded between their crusted brain cells that some one is going to be killed, or family clad wipe clean from the face of the Klong river. I have gone to several Bon meetings to complain to housing management about roads, trash, and unauthorized persons entering our small compound. These home owners will speak out amongst them selves in a very shallow voice, but before a meeting....they have no backbone, but will watch a foreigner speak up

and point out the issues, time and time again!.......getting tired of this.

Only the smallest tip of a very big iceberg.

Edit:

I agree with your post but it gets back to the issue of empowerment and disempowerment.

The system of government centralised in BKK disempowers people at the village and district levels. Just as the Shin governments engaged local leaders in what I would describe as a feudal franchise arrangement; the DOI franchised village heads in the same way. BKK did not care what happened in the villages and provided peanuts to help control the locals in return for services to be rendered when needed ("protests in BKK or clearing opponents from government buildings). In such an environment what would be the point of standing up to corruption in the community.

The feudal arrangements also are problematic in that the local communities often see the money that is being extracted by corruption as someone else's money so while they might see themselves as victims of poor services they often do not see themselves as victims of the local corruption. Unfortunately the corruption not only effects costs but allows poor quality outcomes - in the case of roads they are often breaking up before they are even finished. As the corrupt officials are usual those that signoff for payments the outcomes are not open to challenge.

The opportunity that rewriting the constitution presents (which I expect will be wasted) is to give local control on local matters to elected local officials. This will not eliminate the corruption but it should provide some redress to the local community especially if there was an avenue to have grievances heard by an independent body.

However it is not only Thais that are responsible for what has/is occurring. Foreigners in the country also use corruption to their advantage both by condoning it and actively engaging in it. If I remember correctly I paid my fist bribe in Jan 1980 !!!! whistling.gif

• Like 2

I love it.

yeah right "turning point not far" its more low hanging fruit

when they get the ones with 3+ more zeroes on the figures then there will be something to celebrate

till then, fodder for the easily mis-lead!

No, this is how it starts. Kudos to the contractor, and more will follow his lead. These low level officials will eventually realise that they can't do it....they in turn will resent having to do it to people further up the ladder...and so on.

All it needs is persistence from the contractor level.

• Like 2

I'm curious why certain members seem to see this as a 'new' development? In the past 20 years I've been here there has always been the amazing expose of some petty official receiving bribes, which is exactly what this is. He probably didn't pass on part of the 'take' to the next guy, hence, Shock Horror, clampdown on corruption is heralded.

When the corruption on the scale of fake Bomb Detectors, Submarine bases with no Submarines, Triple priced government microphones (I could go on) gets someone banged up, maybe, just maybe I might believe things have changed.

This is just more of the same, re-arranging 'deckchairs', excuse the pun.

And before anyone decides to raise the high profile Pongpat case, well if you actually read, we all know that had little or nothing to do with rooting out corruption, and a whole lot about the machinations and intrigue of another unmentionable institution

• Like 1

Just small potatoes, too little too late. Thailand is so infested with corruption (supported by TV-members also) that it might be an impossible task to fight it now - when a countrys policeforce are working against the country itself like criminals then its uphill for decades and decades

"He said he agreed to pay Dechawut" stop there.

Try to think a little. He agreed to pay and reported the official asking for kickbacks.

If he hadn't agreed there could never have been a sting and the official could have happily carried on asking in the future and no doubt would have got more 'gifts'.

The significant part of this is that the contractor balked at paying the kickbacks and reported the official.

That is what it takes, a change of attitude by contractors and suppliers to not only refuse to pay but to report it when they are asked.

• Like 2

arguing he received a gift not meant for a return benefit.

Ridiculous

taking gifts as an officials from dependent persons is always bribe taking.

Laws (at least in countries I know) are clear with this.

Edited by sweatalot

I love it.

Never saw things like this happening during the "democratically elected" governments. Chapeau!

how can you say such a thing ..hang your head in shame sir and go to the naughty step this instant..you know youl make it worse for us at immigration thanks mate..w00t.gif

Must have been a very small road for such little kickback,

now they need to look into his bank accounts and property

holdings,which will most likely never happen.

All the VIP crooks,never admit guilt ,while the poor criminals

tell everything in half an hour,maybe different investigative

methods by plod.

regards worgeordie

Caught red handed, huh? Reminds me of a joke:

A young boy asks his dad: "Why do they say gardeners have green thumbs when their fingers aren't green?"

Dad replies: "It's just a saying son. It's like when somebody is caught stealing something they say they have been caught red handed, even though their hands are actually black."

arguing he received a gift not meant for a return benefit.

Ridiculous

taking gifts as an officials from dependent persons is always bribe taking.

Laws (at least in countries I know) are clear with this.

Not when Thaksin was PM.