Work Or Tourist Visa For My Niece.....

I need a live in nanny urgently as my wife is returning to work soon.

We have asked our niece if she wants to live with us in the uk and look after our baby.

Of course she said yes!!!!!

The question is now which visa to apply for?

We would need her to stay until our baby starts school so the usual 6 month stay is not really an option.

So would she need to apply for a working visa?

We were planning to pay her for looking after our baby (but not too much lol).

What about the tax side? Starting to get complicated now!!!

I would appreciate any advice on this matter especially anyone who has already gone through the visa process recently.

ps Niece is in Chaing Mai and would like to use the consulate instead of travelling to Bangkok.

I remember Bangkok Embassy being a very unpleasant experience so would like her to use the consulate if possible.

Paul

Edited by paulnuek

I would assume that she is not "working" in a highly visible way. In fact no-one would ever know she was working at all. I really can't see the value in going through all the hassle. She may be better of using serial tourist visas with extensions unelss she will stay for over a year.

Getting a Work permit for her may be very difficult.

Also the traveling every 3 months can be interesting once you accept it.

Please continue to get advice, as my experience is limited.

Good luck

A visit visa would not, I think, be suitable as she would need to leave the UK every six months and would probably be refused entry again if she could be spending more than 6 months out of 12 in the UK.

I do know what you plan is possible, as an acquaintance of ours did something similar with her sister. Reading through the links provided by Vinny should give you the information you require.

ps Niece is in Chaing Mai and would like to use the consulate instead of travelling to Bangkok.

I remember Bangkok Embassy being a very unpleasant experience so would like her to use the consulate if possible.

All applications are now made through the application centre in Bangkok. If an interview is required this will be held at the embassy in Bangkok.

As she, understandably, may not want to travel all the way to Bangkok just to hand in the application, she can apply either by courier or post.

Edited by GU22

If she has worked for your family for the past 12 months, then she could apply for the domestic worker visa. See also the UK Visa Application Centre's Domestic Worker (more than 6 months) checklist.

Interesting reading...

I was not aware of a domestic type visa.

I will make some enquiries on this.

my niece has been to the consulate in CM and has been told that the paperwork can be processed there.

However I am not sure if an interview would be required or if she needs to go to Bangkok.

Thanks for the info

Paul

A visit visa would not, I think, be suitable as she would need to leave the UK every six months and would probably be refused entry again if she could be spending more than 6 months out of 12 in the UK.

I do know what you plan is possible, as an acquaintance of ours did something similar with her sister. Reading through the links provided by Vinny should give you the information you require.

All applications are now made through the application centre in Bangkok. If an interview is required this will be held at the embassy in Bangkok.

As she, understandably, may not want to travel all the way to Bangkok just to hand in the application, she can apply either by courier or post.

I did think of a tourist visa at first, but a 6 month stay is not long enough...

A domestic visa does sound like the right option and I will ask my niece to go to the consulate for more information.

I am looking for about 3 years so I ask her to enqure as to how long a domestic visa last for.

Looking at some info on domestic visa I notice that the minimum wage has to be paid..

Will have to look at a way round this as this could prove expensive.

Maybe offically working for around 20 hours a week or charging rent!!! LOL

We have told her that we will give her about 6000 bath a month (double what she is getting now).

She seems very happy with this, especially as she was willing to look after our daughter for free as long as she could come to the UK....

If you can find a way around it, then good luck, but I sense a degree of exploitation when you say that the U.K. minimum wage is too much. I advise you to have a look at the relevant paragraph of the immigration rules (159A) which covers the criteria that need to be fulfilled. I, personally, think you're on a hiding to nothing.

Just ask yourself whether you could get some ill-educated, illiterate North-Eastern person in the UK to fulfil the same role....

Scouse

I am looking for about 3 years so I ask her to enqure as to how long a domestic visa last for.

A domestic worker visa initially lasts for one year and can be extended in the UK.

After entry

Domestic workers, including those accompanying visitors, are allowed to change employers once in the UK provided that they are still employed in a domestic capacity in a private household. They are asked to inform the Home Office if they do so. There is provision in the Immigration Rules for extensions of stay to be granted for periods of up to 12 months, and for indefinite leave to remain to be granted after a continuous period of 4 years in the category. There is also provision for spouses / civil partners and dependent children to be granted leave to remain in line with the overseas domestic worker.

See also the UK Visa Application Centre's Domestic Worker Terms and conditions and Questionnaire for overseas domestic worker.

If you can find a way around it, then good luck, but I sense a degree of exploitation when you say that the U.K. minimum wage is too much. I advise you to have a look at the relevant paragraph of the immigration rules (159A) which covers the criteria that need to be fulfilled. I, personally, think you're on a hiding to nothing.

Just ask yourself whether you could get some ill-educated, illiterate North-Eastern person in the UK to fulfil the same role....

Scouse

??????

"illiterate North-Eastern person in the UK"

I only posted for some advice not to have the p**s taken out of the North East!!!

Exploitation....Well the wife wants someone she trusts to look after our baby not any tom-dick or harry!!

The wifes niece wants to come to the UK but not to live. As we are paying for her trip she wanted to "help out" by looking after our baby.

We are going to support her while she stays here, if this in your opinion is expoitation well.....

If you have any more comments regarding the North East, I would suggest that you keep them to yourself.

Edited by paulnuek

A domestic worker visa initially lasts for one year and can be extended in the UK.

After entry

Domestic workers, including those accompanying visitors, are allowed to change employers once in the UK provided that they are still employed in a domestic capacity in a private household. They are asked to inform the Home Office if they do so. There is provision in the Immigration Rules for extensions of stay to be granted for periods of up to 12 months, and for indefinite leave to remain to be granted after a continuous period of 4 years in the category. There is also provision for spouses / civil partners and dependent children to be granted leave to remain in line with the overseas domestic worker.

See also the UK Visa Application Centre's Domestic Worker Terms and conditions and Questionnaire for overseas domestic worker.

Thanks for that Vinny.

1 year with extensions sounds like the option we are looking for.

We travel to Thailand every xmas/new year and would be taking our niece with us.

Would we need to apply for another visa when in Thailand or can the visa be "re-used?

Visas are normally good for multiple-entry while they remain valid. Similarly, Leave to enter/remain for periods exceeding six months are Non-lapsing (paragraph 20A).

Thanks again Vinny.

Links to a site with a great deal of information.

I have spoken to my niece today and so is going to the consulate in CM tommorrow to find out exactly what documents I need to send.

She is going to apply for a domestic worker in a private household visa.

Looks like the best option.

Especially as it allows extension of stay up to 12 months.

I think I have gathered all the necessary documents so I should get them sent off at the weekend.

She is adamant that "the nice lady at the consulate" has told her that the decision will be made in CM and that she does not have to travel to Bangkok.

Well I won`t hold my breath.....

Fingers crossed.

Paul