Cellphone Mobile Et- Connection In Rural Thailand

lucky2103

Hi, I'm new here...

As I live in a rural area, I hv no access to ADSL- lines, but the GPRS- cellphone net is available.

Some thai friends told me, that it is possible to connect a PC to the www. via USB- cellphone + a "package", which can be bought at AIS, DTAC or TRUE- stores at abt. 129,- Baht/10 days.

Now my questions:

- Is that established wireless connection stable ?

- What speed does this connection posses (I was told it is only abt. 35kbs-56kbs) ?

- Can I use any cellphone wit USB- port or are there any restrictions ?

- Is there an equivalent of the european UMTS- net for cellphones in Thailand ?

- Can my NOKIA N- series cellphone from europe be updated for use with thai- language menu ?

Thank U very much, guys. :o

Hi, I'm new here...

As I live in a rural area, I hv no access to ADSL- lines, but the GPRS- cellphone net is available.

Some thai friends told me, that it is possible to connect a PC to the www. via USB- cellphone + a "package", which can be bought at AIS, DTAC or TRUE- stores at abt. 129,- Baht/10 days.

Now my questions:

- What speed does this connection posses (I was told it is only abt. 35kbs-56kbs) ?

- Can my NOKIA N- series cellphone from europe be updated for use with thai- language menu ?

I think all the Nokia N series phones are class 10 and have Bluetooth. My Nokia 6230 works fine. I bought a USB Billionton Bluetooth dongle. I think it cost me about 900 baht. I bought the USB because I can use it for my laptop and my desktop.

My AIS connection is stable in that it stays connected very well. The problem is that it frequently takes naps. The speed does vary a lot and the 25 to 45 kbs is normal.

I found that AIS is better for me and I buy the 25 hour packages for 100 baht. I can top off my account via phone. It takes the 100 baht off my remaining credit for regular calls.

Hutch is a better system but we have no coverage here.

Hi Lucky

It really depends on where you live and the proximity of the nearest base station AIS or DTAC.

I also live in a rural area about 60 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet with no landline though I have only been waiting 3 years. I use a Nokia 6260 and a Comsol Bluetooth adapter and a postpaid AIS package with 120 hours on the Internet for 500 baht and that works fine and stable for most of the time and I have been online for sometimes 4 hours at a time. There have been other times whenthe link has dropped out after a few minutes but not that often.

My connection status window tells me that I am getting 115Kbps but in truth it is more like a normal land line of between 35 to 48kbps.

It works OK for me and it may well work for you.

If your mobile is Bluetooth and you have a dongle and they are about 1,000 baht +/- it should work.

Now my questions:

It depends on where you live.

That is about right

The mobile does not have a USB port only the computer. You maybe able to Bluetooth, IR or hard wire cable the mobile to the pc.

Unfortunately I don't think so.

You would have to go either to a Nokia dealer or MBK in Bangkok to know for certain.

I hope that this helps.

(...) you got replies for these already

If you're 60 km s/w from KPT you mustn't be quite far away from Nakorn Sawan.

You'll find plently of phone shops, some of them suprisingly competent at doing phone firmware tricks at Fairy Land (the old shopping mall downtown NSN, not the new BigC) on the top floor. I especially recomment the one that is closest to the

home appliance section of the department store. Probably no need to go to BKK.

There are also many in the BigC shopping mall, but in my experience they're not so good at doing this.

Oops. My apologies. That wasn't the OP who's in that location. Oh well I'll keep this post anyway. Might be useful to someone.

--Lannig

Edited by Lannig