SURVEY: Will ASEAN be a success?

Scott

Will Asean Be A Success  

204 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ASEAN will be a success because it is more democratic than the EU. Each country has its own say.

The day there is a president of ASEAN making all of the decisions is the day it will fail, like the EU.

Yes, it will move more slowly, but what's wrong with that?

Also, ASEAN is simply about business, not one identity with one currency.

The countries of ASEAN will be business partners, not fools.

ASEAN will be a success because it is more democratic than the EU. Each country has its own say.

The day there is a president of ASEAN making all of the decisions is the day it will fail, like the EU.

Yes, it will move more slowly, but what's wrong with that?

Also, ASEAN is simply about business, not one identity with one currency.

The countries of ASEAN will be business partners, not fools.

Never ever forget how much they dislike and mistrust each other.

And how very superior our host country believes they are in relation to the other asian countries.

It will be an unmitigated failure in reality but the countries will commend each other in public.

Edited by tlcwaterfall
  • Like 1

Places like Malaysia,Vietnam it will work better there than in Thailand,as agree with other posters the Thai's seem to have this idea they are no1,or should be in the organisation,also the fact that Thailand at present does not have an elected government may also have an effect.

For whom in the member states might it be a success - what exactly are these trade agreements between the nations & how were they arrived at - how does the agreement differ from that of the E.U.?

I think we need someone with an economics degree to spout-off on this - please, I'm all ears.

why do you insist on qualifying every yes or no answer with your hidden agenda bs?

why no just yes or no and believe me everyone can qualify their own answer with comments

it isnt necessary to dictate...i know its hard....try

next weeks poll

will we ever see a legitimate poll question on tv? yes or no

see how easy it is

interesting...

I am from EU, but haven't seen so much pigs around the politicians yet, or didn't I recognize you?? cheesy.gif

Asean will be about as successful as the EU, the only ones benefiting from it are the pigs round the trough politicians and assorted hangers on, all talk no action..wink.png

Assuming we're talking about the AEC, there are some Thai companies that are already taking advantage. For example, in preparation Vietnam has removed a lot of restrictions on retail businesses, and Berli Jucker have already moved in and taken over a big share of the convenience store sector and other areas they're involved in. Those that are prepared and have a plan will benefit. But it's a business thing, not for the ordinary folk.

So, if the question means the AEC (not ASEAN), the next question is what do you mean by success? For regional integration? For Thailand? For ordinary people? etc. etc.

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 2

If this is truly to be an economic community similar to the EU it will mean that there should be freedom of movement and employment in all of the member countries. This should mean that ASEAN nationals from other countries will be able to come to work in Thailand with no need for a visa or work permit. Do you honestly see the Thai Government allowing other nationals to take the jobs of Thai workers?

I have asked this question of several people and they suggest that the Thai Govt will only allow professionals and those with specific qualifications to work here freely. Not really an even playing field.

Please excuse me for being a bit on the pessimistic side, but the fact that certain member countries don't even seem to understand the concept of waiting in line to board a bus or plane doesn't exactly create a lot of confidence as far as I am concerned.

Impossible to tell, of course, especially not knowing the particulars, e.g., movement of labor, sovereignty rights, governing body, currency, etc. I'm sure many predicted the success of the EU and we know how that's turning out. But perhaps the AEC will take heed of lessons learned from the EU and not make those mistakes. Generally speaking, I'd say it'll benefit workers in the poorer countries like Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, PI. Beyond that, hard to say. Interesting to note that 2 of the top 5 countries in the world in terms of GDP per capita are in ASEAN. Bet you guys didn't know that.