Bangkok Post And The Nation

ChiangMaiThai

Did anyone catch both papers today?

You've got Bangkok Post on the front page saying that the US regrets wrongly assed findings in regards to portraying Thailand in a negative light in its Human Rights Report. (Stems from that time when Dear Leader ordered all suspected drug dealers be killed).

Then you've got the Nation 'US Embassy Dismisses Apology Claim'. 'The US Embassy in Bangkok yesterday dismissed a statement from the Thai government that claimed Washington had apologized for alleging extrajudicial killings in its annual report on human rights...'

Does anyone else find this comical if not somewhat troubling? Which paper does Dear Leader & Co. own a substantial share in?

On a less sarcastic note, I used to always read the Bangkok Post, but I now believe I can find more of what is really happening in The Nation.

Read both of them.

Bangkok Post lost all right to think of itself as a true newspaper when it started bowing to political pressure regarding it's editorial policy and the stories it covered. It degenerated into a sort of print version of the Fox News propaganda channel.

At least they issued a rebuttal of yesterday's story today.

Stick to the Nation. The only semi-reliable print media left in Thailand.

RIP Bkk Post. Many of us will miss you.

:o

The Nation has the TRT Secretary-General as a 20 % shareholder.

I have been a subscriber to the Post for two years and when I evaluated the Nation when I arrive in Thailand, I came to the conclusion that the Nation was a bit tabloid in nature for me.

MY OPION HAS CHANGED. In the dentists office, a month ago, I picked up a copy of the Nation and read an article about the PM and family owning 9% of the Thai GNP. Nothing like that information in the Post. Thaksin is not on the Forbes list since he holds so much in his family's name.

I didn't learn that the PM is a 51% owner of Air Asia from the Post. Wonder why he was the only lucky one of the many wealthy Thais to be able to get a license to operate an airline in Thailand to compete with Thai Airlines?

I must say having just traveled on Air Asia for the first and last time, that I must report that the airline does bear the PM's style, autocratic, unbending and arbitrary.

Uh, today's online Bangkok Post had the following (I'd cut and paste, but that might run afoul of copyright restrictions). So I'll provide a link. Sure doesn't sound like everyone at the Post is running scared of Thaksin--------.

Post Editorial

Mr Thirasant, the author, must be planning on retirement -- abroad. A very bold poke at Mr. Thaksin.

Uh, today's online Bangkok Post had the following (I'd cut and paste, but that might run afoul of copyright restrictions). So I'll provide a link. Sure doesn't sound like everyone at the Post is running scared of Thaksin--------.

Post Editorial

Mr Thirasant, the author, must be planning on retirement -- abroad. A very bold poke at Mr. Thaksin.

The cheerless leader won't like that offering Jim. :o So out of character for the Post these days too. Thanks for that.

The Bangkok Post has slipped badly over the years.

The New Editor fiasco was the last straw.

For years they have been ignoring local news about foregners for fear of creating a bad image.

The Bangkok Post has slipped badly over the years.

The New Editor fiasco was the last straw.

For years they have been ignoring local news about foregners for fear of creating a bad image.

Makes you wonder why they bother to publish in English if matters pertaining to the English speakers in Muang Thai are avoided.