Mother killed in Australia while on phone to husband in India

webfact

Mother killed in Australia while on phone to husband in India
AFP

SYDNEY - A mother has been stabbed to death in a Sydney park in a brutal attack while speaking by phone to her distraught husband in India, reports said Monday.

IT professional Prabha Arun Kumar, 41, was knifed as she took a shortcut home through Parramatta Park in the city's west at around 9.30pm on Saturday night.

"He stabbed me, darling," she told husband Arun Kumar, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph reported, as the conversation abruptly ended.

The woman was found by a by-passer shortly afterwards and rushed to hospital but she had lost too much blood and doctors were unable to save her. She had been just 300 metres from home.

"It is a horrific attack without any stretch of the imagination," police Superintendent Wayne Cox said.

Kumar's husband flew to Australia from India, where both he and their nine-year-old daughter live, after the attack but reportedly arrived to be told that his wife had died.

The dead woman's flatmate said Kumar had probably not wanted to bother anyone to ask for a lift home after finishing work late and arriving at Parramatta train station at 9pm.

Full story: http://news.asiaone.com/news/crime/mother-killed-australia-while-phone-husband-india

-- asiaone 2015-03-09

Very sad that it happened on "International Women's day" and too happened in in Australia which is supposed to be safer place for Women, and one of the countries elect woman as Prime Minister.

Since 2013 few racists attacks on Indians and other immigrants, after lot of protest and police force reformed, the attacks were very much reduced.

This is very unfortunate, and i don't generalize 'Racist' opinion about Aussies, though there are isolated incidents, first of all our own personal safety is important as an immigrant when you are walking alone in the darker area street or in a park anywhere in the world especially in big cities. It can happens in Sukumvit soi's or any other remote places where there are no security.

Another Woman victim, i hope the the society can fight against such crimes by eradicating jobless and uplift the ordinary people's lives in Australia and elsewhere.

I hope Australian police will show responsibility to arrest the culprits. My prayers goes to Prabha Arun Kumar, and deep condolences to her family.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can smell a racist attack here.

Unfortunately there are many weirdos going around in every country in this world.

RIP, Prabha Arun Kumar.

This is very unfortunate, and i don't generalize 'Racist' opinion about Aussies, though there are isolated incidents, first of all our own personal safety is important as an immigrant when you are walking alone in the darker area street or in a park anywhere in the world especially in big cities. It can happens in Sukumvit soi's or any other remote places where there are no security.

I have done this walk several times and it is an unsafe area after dark..It is so unfortunate that this lady took the risk as racism does prevail. There have been several incidents in Melbourne as well against Indian Students to such an extend that the Australian Government was seriously concerned about the bad image. Australia generates roughly 15 Billion dollars from the education sector and these incidents can harm this lucrative business. Unfortunately racism is everywhere, even among the T.V members as one can see how many racist comments are posted everyday against Thais, Chinese and other Asian nationalities.

• Like 1

There is nothing to suggest this was a racially motivated attack. That particular area has a high Indian population and that is a dangerous park after dark. Poor woman made an error of judgement. RIP. Australia is one of the most racially tolerant places to live in the world.

I have done this walk several times and it is an unsafe area after dark..It is so unfortunate that this lady took the risk as racism does prevail. There have been several incidents in Melbourne as well against Indian Students to such an extend that the Australian Government was seriously concerned about the bad image. Australia generates roughly 15 Billion dollars from the education sector and these incidents can harm this lucrative business. Unfortunately racism is everywhere, even among the T.V members as one can see how many racist comments are posted everyday against Thais, Chinese and other Asian nationalities.

Sadly, it's true that these attacks have brought Australia a bad image abroad. I have an Australian friend who traveled to India for a few months last year. Some Indians, when they found out he was from Australia, called it a wonderful, wealthy country and said they hoped to move there. Other Indians, when they found out he was from Australia, talked about the horrible attacks that had happened there and said what a terrible and racist country it was.

I don't know what the statistics are, but my assumption that there were very few overall and that the average Indian isn't in the risk in the least. But it's certainly been enough to affect Australia's image even as far away as India.

There is nothing to suggest this was a racially motivated attack. That particular area has a high Indian population and that is a dangerous park after dark. Poor woman made an error of judgement. RIP. Australia is one of the most racially tolerant places to live in the world.

Are you saying that Aboriginal racism is worse most everywhere else?

• Like 1

I remember Sydney even 25 years ago where I did not afraid to walk any place except one Aboriginal suburb..

This days to walk in day light is a bit scary in some places but at night in Sydney suburbs gangs of youth are taking place and often they carry guns too.

Police is not really visible at night ....but there is plenty of police during daylight time chasing motorists...that's the truth .They are not very brave against organized outlaw until comes to big pack of them

It is sad that in 21 century police is against motorists just to collect more and more money but they are just pretending working at night.

I never forget London where I arrived as a tourist at night to find out that on every corner was police patrolling the streets. Maybe it was just my luck to see it....

Sadly, it's true that these attacks have brought Australia a bad image abroad. I have an Australian friend who traveled to India for a few months last year. Some Indians, when they found out he was from Australia, called it a wonderful, wealthy country and said they hoped to move there. Other Indians, when they found out he was from Australia, talked about the horrible attacks that had happened there and said what a terrible and racist country it was.

I don't know what the statistics are, but my assumption that there were very few overall and that the average Indian isn't in the risk in the least. But it's certainly been enough to affect Australia's image even as far away as India.

Yes, there has been a number of incidents involving Indian students, some very unpleasant. The one that caused the most angst in India (reported around the world) was an Indian student set alight when his car was firebombed. He told everyone that he had been set upon by a group of thugs who were shouting racist names at him. Ultimately it transpired that he had accidentally set himself on fire when he was torched the car for the insurance money. Many people in India are unaware of this as the real story, strangely enough, got no coverage in the Indian media.

The latest story is likely to be a tragic case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time rather than racism.

• Like 1

Statements like the above come from ignorance of the facts. A lot of people sadly believe what they read and see in the media. I was raised in Australia and went to school and university with aboriginals. It is true that in the past aboriginal children were taken from their parents as also happened in both the US and indeed in the UK in the past. I suspect it happened in many countries when governments were not so enlightened. However in my generation we have made many attempts to help these people but their culture is alien to western culture and we have had many failures and a few successes. We will continue to try and help them. I guess the alternate is to let them return to living subsistence lives on kangaroo and goanna?

Statements like the above come from ignorance of the facts. A lot of people sadly believe what they read and see in the media. I was raised in Australia and went to school and university with aboriginals. It is true that in the past aboriginal children were taken from their parents as also happened in both the US and indeed in the UK in the past. I suspect it happened in many countries when governments were not so enlightened. However in my generation we have made many attempts to help these people but their culture is alien to western culture and we have had many failures and a few successes. We will continue to try and help them. I guess the alternate is to let them return to living subsistence lives on kangaroo and goanna?

I have to plead partial ignorance on this subject. My direct knowledge of the Aboriginal situation comes from a few movies and the articles I've read online.

However, I have quite a few Australian friends (mostly White), and their impression is that the vast majority of what White Australians did to aboriginals was openly evil. Not just taking people from their parents, but a huge variety of measures that resulted in enormous death and loss of land and livelihood. I would suspect that yes, the vast majority of aboriginals would be in a situation much closer to "happy" if you indeed had let them live life as they were living it.

If you really want to help someone, a better way to go about it is to offer them the "help" as an alternative and let them take it or leave it. Once you've forced it upon them, or destroyed their other options, it's hard to call it "help" anymore.

I can smell a racist attack here.

Unfortunately there are many weirdos going around in every country in this world.

RIP, Prabha Arun Kumar.

So every foreigner killed in Thailand by Thai people is that a racist attack too, Why is it that when somebody of non white colour is killed, people say I bet it is a racist thing, Who ever killed her is scum, but lets not go down the racist road that pisses me off, I never hear anyone calling ISIS racist killers,

Yes, there has been a number of incidents involving Indian students, some very unpleasant. The one that caused the most angst in India (reported around the world) was an Indian student set alight when his car was firebombed. He told everyone that he had been set upon by a group of thugs who were shouting racist names at him. Ultimately it transpired that he had accidentally set himself on fire when he was torched the car for the insurance money. Many people in India are unaware of this as the real story, strangely enough, got no coverage in the Indian media.

The latest story is likely to be a tragic case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time rather than racism.

Well did he get paid out on the insurance, I got no sympathy for people like that and less sympathy for people who shout racist, when it is not, like the Indian girls in the UK was killed by her own family because she was with a white boy, at first the family tried to blame it on racism until they caught the family out, and they got life,

• Like 1

A few mates from work went to Australia a few years ago, 1 white and 1 black. Apparently in Melbourne they had trouble hailing a cab on the street until they stood apart, like 50 meters or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to plead partial ignorance on this subject. My direct knowledge of the Aboriginal situation comes from a few movies and the articles I've read online.

However, I have quite a few Australian friends (mostly White), and their impression is that the vast majority of what White Australians did to aboriginals was openly evil. Not just taking people from their parents, but a huge variety of measures that resulted in enormous death and loss of land and livelihood. I would suspect that yes, the vast majority of aboriginals would be in a situation much closer to "happy" if you indeed had let them live life as they were living it.

If you really want to help someone, a better way to go about it is to offer them the "help" as an alternative and let them take it or leave it. Once you've forced it upon them, or destroyed their other options, it's hard to call it "help" anymore.

I doubt that anyone would argue that the treatment of aboriginals in the past was something to be proud of but for gods sake it was more than 50 decades ago children were taken and cannot be changed. Many nations persecuted their aboriginal peoples in times past and a few still do today.

So you think sending aboriginals back to the bush, withdrawing health services, the rule of law and education opportunities is what aboriginals of today want? You would probably be happy to see an offender speared to death after a trial by a council of elders. If Australia even suggested such an idea we would be rightly blacklisted and ostracized around the world. There has been positive discrimination towards aboriginals in many areas for a long time and a lot of money poured into communities. Both sides of govt have tried with limited success. I have witnessed first hand the wanton destruction of new homes given to these people and seen how they rip each other off when given autonomy to run programs that are meant to help everyone.

Read about the male dominated brutal aboriginal culture and society before blaming Australia for failing to lift this people to level of the remainder of Australia which includes many cultures from around the world who have integrated.

Why are we so programed by the media, that even though no suspects have been interviewed by the Police, you all assume it was a white knife man.

Is it the same way My brain has become programed by the British Media, that when another white Londener has been stabbed to death, the media won't describe the killer by any colour, or publish a picture, but you know that is the media hiding the fact that he is probably black.

I doubt that anyone would argue that the treatment of aboriginals in the past was something to be proud of but for gods sake it was more than 50 decades ago children were taken and cannot be changed. Many nations persecuted their aboriginal peoples in times past and a few still do today.

That didn't smell right, so I did a little bit of internet research.

Australia didn't even recognize Aboriginals as people under the law until 48 years ago.

Only 44 years ago, Justice Blackburn declared that Aboriginals had no land rights in the "terra nullius" case.

As recently as the 1970s, Aboriginal children were still being taken from their homes.

Only 23 years ago, "terra nullius" was declared invalid.

I mean, that's all stuff that would affect people living RIGHT NOW. If kids were still being taken from their homes in the 1960s and 1970s, wouldn't those children be alive today? Even the mothers and families they were taken from would still be alive today in many cases. If people's basic land rights and inherent humanity were still being denied just 25 years ago, wouldn't that have an affect on their stability and community that would still be affecting them today? How can you pretend like that's just something in the past that isn't going to have an effect?

All that was from a quick scan of the Wikipedia article.

There are certainly many who think that the poor treatment continues to this day.

http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/98

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/28/australia-boom-aboriginal-story-despair

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10335584/Australian-education-minister-admits-Aboriginal-children-treated-like-rubbish.html

I don't think "doing nothing" is the answer. But I am certain that there are community health initiatives and community schools that are doing community engagement well, and the claim is ridiculous that my position is, "So you think sending aboriginals back to the bush, withdrawing health services, the rule of law and education opportunities is what aboriginals of today want?"

I won't respond to any of the attempts to just further prove one's own racism - I'll just let those sit where they are.

Edited by Bangkok Herps