CDC's Thawinwadee: 58.9 percent of Thais support election of prime minister

webfact

CDC's Thawinwadee: 58.9% of Thais support election of prime minister

BANGKOK, 10 March 2015 (NNT) - The Constitution Drafting Committee has found that more than half of Thai people prefer to see the new prime minister who is elected by voters in a general election.

Chairwoman of the CDC’s sub-committee on the promotion of public participation Thawinwadee Bureekul said that the sub-committee joined the National Statistical Office to conduct a survey on 5,800 samples during March 5 an 11.

Ms. Thawinwaddee said that the survey found many developments have been approved of by more than 90% of the respondents.

Those issues are such as the rights of the people to vote in a public referendum when it comes to the matter of national interest and the compulsory assets disclosure by members of all independent organizations.

She added that 67.6% of the surveyed people believe women should represent at least 30% of political office holders while 58.9% wanted the next prime minister to be a member of parliament.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-10 footer_n.gif

Poll reveals people want elected prime minister

3-10-2015-9-30-45-AM-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- People want an elected candidate in the next general election to be chosen the prime minister.

This was the result of the latest poll conducted jointly between the National Statistical Office and the Constitution Drafting Committee.

A total of 5,800 samples were surveyed during March 5-11.

According to survey, more than half of Thai people prefer to see the new prime minister comes from an elected candidate in the general election.

Chairwoman of the CDC’s sub-committee on the promotion of public participation Thawinwadee Bureekul revealed that the survey found many developments have been approved of by more than 90% of the respondents.

According to NNT, Those issues included the rights of the people to vote in a public referendum when it comes to the matter of national interest and the compulsory declaration of assets by members of all independent organizations.

She said that 67.6% of the surveyed people believe women should represent at least 30% of political office holders.

For the prime minister choice, 58.9% wanted the next prime minister to come from an elected candidate to the parliament.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/poll-reveals-people-want-elected-prime-minister

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-10

Right, then, son - an elected Prime Minister it is then.

But dad, they only polled a relative handful of Thailand's 60,000,000 subjects and the vote was extremely close.

True, my boy. But a majority is a still a majority - and in a democracy what the majority says goes, right?

Silly me, dad! What with the military in charge, political meetings and protests marches banned and martial law still in force across the Kingdom, I'd somehow forgotten we are a democracy.

It must the translation skills of some, but to me an 'elected Prime Minister' sounded like the electorate directly votes for a PM. That would surely create unworkable situations at times.

Luckily the 'elected Prime Minister' seems to be chosen not really different from before

"According to survey, more than half of Thai people prefer to see the new prime minister comes from an elected candidate in the general election."

Of course with all translations it's still possible that instead of MPs electing a PM, the electorate has vote again for a PM from amongst elected MPs.

It would seem the situation as before should remain, with some clarifications as to under which extraordinary conditions an 'outsider' could be appointed or elected.

Right, then, son - an elected Prime Minister it is then.

But dad, they only polled a relative handful of Thailand's 60,000,000 subjects and the vote was extremely close.

True, my boy. But a majority is a still a majority - and in a democracy what the majority says goes, right?

Silly me, dad! What with the military in charge, political meetings and protests marches banned and martial law still in force across the Kingdom, I'd somehow forgotten we are a democracy.

Silly boy. We are under martial law and not are a democracy, but you obviously don't find that things are too bad, what with the military in charge and no political meetings and protests marches .

half of Thai people prefer to see the new prime minister who is elected by voters in a general election

This is a very odd poll. A directly elected PM has never been the process the CDC wants, so why poll an option that will not be available to the electorate? Might as well ask Thais if they would like the Japanese to elect the Thais PM.

The CDC has been promoting Germany's MMP system of electoral voting wherein the Chancelor (similar to PM) is elected by parliament members; actually similar to the 2007 Constitution. Then it shifted to the UK and Canada electoral systems whose difference from Germany is the monarch is the Head of State. The NCPO favored a loophole that would allow an unelected PM who could move aside an elected PM.

All these polls in the long-run are irrelevant. There will be no referendum on the constitution.

half of Thai people prefer to see the new prime minister who is elected by voters in a general election

This is a very odd poll. A directly elected PM has never been the process the CDC wants, so why poll an option that will not be available to the electorate? Might as well ask Thais if they would like the Japanese to elect the Thais PM.

The CDC has been promoting Germany's MMP system of electoral voting wherein the Chancelor (similar to PM) is elected by parliament members; actually similar to the 2007 Constitution. Then it shifted to the UK and Canada electoral systems whose difference from Germany is the monarch is the Head of State. The NCPO favored a loophole that would allow an unelected PM who could move aside an elected PM.

All these polls in the long-run are irrelevant. There will be no referendum on the constitution.

I did not get that it was a direct election or indirect election question but whether the prime minister should be an elected MP (i.e. leader of the party elected to the parliament similar to other parliamentary democracies) or whether it should not be restricted to just those elected to parliament. In other news 62.5% indicated they wanted an elected senate.

Edited by bkkcanuck8