life in uk english test

I would concede that anybody who doesn't know "what major welfare changes were introduced from 1945 to 1950", "how many countries make up the United Nations" and " what is the distance (in miles) between the North coast of Scotland and the South coast of England" has no place living in a modern day UK, as is "when is Mothers day".

I would be inclined to agree, except for the small problem that I don't know the answers to any of those questions, although I could probably guess. ;)

Anyway like it or not my wife is going to have to pass this test in the year 2020. I'll probably try and fill some of the gaps in my knowledge at the same time...

You are unlikely to be able to guess the answers. They are all in the book that goes with the test.

This is not a test of memory but a test of the ability to study in English. At the same time it should build a basic knowledge of the history and culture of the UK.

Some of the questions are more than a bit obscure and I do think the syllabus could be improved to make it more useful. However I do consider it does its job. My wife did an ESOL course so did not have to take the test but my sister in law did. Sister in law is a lot more informed about the basics of being 'British' than my wife!

Both live a pretty much integrated life (except for the card playing!).

It does take a lot of work to pass but the benefits of ILR are a very significant prize at the end!

You are unlikely to be able to guess the answers. They are all in the book that goes with the test.

This is not a test of memory but a test of the ability to study in English. At the same time it should build a basic knowledge of the history and culture of the UK.

Some of the questions are more than a bit obscure and I do think the syllabus could be improved to make it more useful. However I do consider it does its job. My wife did an ESOL course so did not have to take the test but my sister in law did. Sister in law is a lot more informed about the basics of being 'British' than my wife!

Both live a pretty much integrated life (except for the card playing!).

It does take a lot of work to pass but the benefits of ILR are a very significant prize at the end!

This Lituk is not fit for purpose and you can keep banging on about the benefits of ILR til the cows come home. My wife of nearly 9 years having worked here for 4 years.. works 7 yes 7 days a week has 5 different jobs pays Tax and Ni contributions and is as Happy as a pig in Shiit.......but come next September when her Brp permit expires....its back to Thailand. No -way is she going to take yet another bloody test that is no use to her in her everyday life whatsoever. Not taking the test is her decision. Not applying for another 2 years FLR is my decision......£649 plus Brp plus now a Bloody healthcare charge of £500 when she is already paying National Insurance is a bloody cheek.............she is being treated no different to the thousands of Migrants queuing up at Calais.................benefits my arrrse

• Like 1

If someone chooses not to take the test then it is up to them!

I believe the test could be better but it is designed to ensure that the taker has sufficient English skills rather than just to teach English history. It is not designed to help with everyday needs (but perhaps should). I suspect many people misunderstand the purpose of the test. At the end of the day all the answers are provided in the book.

Any immigrant living in a non-English speaking 'ghetto' is likely to find the test impossible. Anyone integrated into a mixed or English speaking environment will be able to pass the test with study. One friend of my wife also refuses to take the test as it is 'too difficult'. Everyone else has managed to pass so it is not out of the reach of average people.

Getting on a high horse and refusing to take the test is a choice!

• Like 1

This Lituk is not fit for purpose and you can keep banging on about the benefits of ILR til the cows come home. My wife of nearly 9 years having worked here for 4 years.. works 7 yes 7 days a week has 5 different jobs pays Tax and Ni contributions and is as Happy as a pig in Shiit.......but come next September when her Brp permit expires....its back to Thailand. No -way is she going to take yet another bloody test that is no use to her in her everyday life whatsoever. Not taking the test is her decision. Not applying for another 2 years FLR is my decision......£649 plus Brp plus now a Bloody healthcare charge of £500 when she is already paying National Insurance is a bloody cheek.............she is being treated no different to the thousands of Migrants queuing up at Calais.................benefits my arrrse

Take it or leave it, Keith. You've both unilaterally decided what's best for you and good luck with that.

Did your wife fit in any studying of the LitUK curriculum while she was working seven days a week?

Don't get me wrong, I do empathise, but are you sure you both want to give up so easily?

My wife gained her British passport back in January and life's never been better. Short weekend breaks to Europe and returning from LOS through the ePassport gates at LHR with minimum fuss is a world away from settlement and ILR.

Up to you, but you'd be mad to come this far ...

• Like 1

I agree Woolly - keith would be taking a drastic step after having come this far. I think it just highlights the frustration and unfairness of the system. More and more hoops and costs.

Also, as keith alludes to, I really question these wonderful benefits of ILR - the main benefit is no longer having to go through and pay for all the pallava. What do you really get? The right to claim benefits - most people work and pay in to the system. A UK passport (once you've paid a further grand for citizenship etc) which means you can go to Europe without a visa - something which is an EU Treaty right anyway for the wife of an EU national.

Oh yes, and you can vote - almost certain to be meaningless in a first past the post system.

The main benefit is not having to deal with the Home Office or UKVI because you are no longer subject to immigration control. That has to be a massive, massive benefit!

It is not easy to pass, could be much better (even useful) but it is what it is! It is equally 'unfair' to all non-EU nationals but this type of test is common elsewhere in the world.

The main benefit is not having to deal with the Home Office or UKVI because you are no longer subject to immigration control. That has to be a massive, massive benefit!

It is not easy to pass, could be much better (even useful) but it is what it is! It is equally 'unfair' to all non-EU nationals but this type of test is common elsewhere in the world.

I would say priceless.

Yes the system can be difficult and frustrating, it certainly is expensive, but I for one sleep better now in the thought that no matter how they change the rules in the future my family's future together is secure.

Added the Wife to the electoral role last week, and our little boy started primary school this week, he looked very smart in his uniform.

• Like 1

I would say priceless.

Yes the system can be difficult and frustrating, it certainly is expensive, but I for one sleep better now in the thought that no matter how they change the rules in the future my family's future together is secure.

Added the Wife to the electoral role last week, and our little boy started primary school this week, he looked very smart in his uniform.

Agreed, and plus being on the electoral role is also very helpful with any credit applications (sole or joint).

Take it or leave it, Keith. You've both unilaterally decided what's best for you and good luck with that.

Did your wife fit in any studying of the LitUK curriculum while she was working seven days a week?

Don't get me wrong, I do empathise, but are you sure you both want to give up so easily?

My wife gained her British passport back in January and life's never been better. Short weekend breaks to Europe and returning from LOS through the ePassport gates at LHR with minimum fuss is a world away from settlement and ILR.

Up to you, but you'd be mad to come this far ...

My wife put in hours and hours of studying with my help. One online test site that she used to practice on had 45 test,s times 24 questions, and she could pass them all.....amazing...but come the actual test........no such luck, 7 failures and no more than 13 questions correct. Her crying her eyes out at her last failure..did for me. I have written to the Immigration Minister about making the actual test questions (some 600) being made available online......he did n,t even bother to reply,just left it to Uk visas to write to tell me that it would compromise the test. I wrote to Cameron 6 weeks ago about the Test and the unfairness of the Healthcare charge....got a thank-you letter in reply,and my letter would be passed on to the Home office.........as yet no reply. Yeah we have come a long way but there is only so much you can do.

I find whole the idea of having to pass a poxy test that has no bearing on our every day life rather insulting.

• Like 1

Don't hold your breath for replies. They will come eventually but will not be what you want!

Sister in law used post-it notes, plastered across the house. Failed first time but passed the second despite a couple of guesses! I suspect it is exam nerves that is causing the failures rather than lack of knowledge.