Retirement extension - late funding

After 8 hassle-free yearly extensions it looks like I'm going to be late in funding my account for the statutory 3 months this year. It's looking like I'll be two weeks late so I'll have the requisite 800,000 plus a bit more in there for 2 months and 2 weeks before my extension date.

Does anyone have any experience of late funding by this period? Do you have any views on whether or not this will be a major problem after almost 9 years with no previous problems? Will I be looking at starting the whole process again?

Thanks

My opinion is that you will not be allowed any flexibility whatsoever on this matter.

So yes, the wise thing now is to prepare to start over with a new O visa.

In which case, with a new O visa, the money seasoning period for the first extension will be TWO MONTHS, not THREE.

Good luck.

Another option if you have any kind of INCOME, you could get an income letter from your embassy and then use the COMBO method ... mixing income and banked funds. In which case, at most offices, there would be no seasoning needed at all for the banked portion. I assume you don't have income as you've been using the pure 800K method so long.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I will be major problem because they will not accept your application unless the funds have been in the bank for 3 months.

Do you any income you could get proof of from you embassy that you could use with the money in the bank. The rules state if you combine income and money in the bank the money does not have to be there for 3 months. Some offices though insist the money has to be there for 3 months.

• Like 2

The Nongkhai Immigration has changed its policy recently.

Even if you are able to provide a Letter of Income from the embassy they will not grant you an extension of stay for your Retirement or Marriage visa unless you are able to provide a letter from the bank in Thailand to confirm that THB 800,000 or THB 400,000 respectively was kept in a Thai bank for at least 3 month prior to application.

What about other Immigration Offices?

• Udon Thani
  • Khonkaen
  • Nakhon Ratchasima
  • Bangkok
  • Pattaya
  • Huahin
  • Chiang Mai
  • etc.
Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font

The Nongkhai Immigration has changed its policy recently.

Even if you are able to provide a Letter of Income from the embassy they will not grant you an extension of stay for your Retirement or Marriage visa unless you are able to provide a letter from the bank in Thailand to confirm that THB 800,000 or THB 400,000 respectively was kept in a Thai bank for at least 3 month prior to application.

What about other Immigration Offices?

• Udon Thani
  • Khonkaen
  • Nakhon Ratchasima
  • Bangkok
  • Pattaya
  • Huahin
  • Chiang Mai
  • etc.

No other office has the same requirement that is in contradiction to the police order for extensions of stay.

Other reports for Nong Khai immigration I have seen was that you had to show all your income coming into a Thai bank to apply for the extension.

Are you sure you are not contusing that requirement with the one you posted.

I do not advocate going about things not legal

However a mate of mine managed to overcome your (the op) situation simply by making an un reciepted payment.

Its not my choice as I am just telling the story.

Regards

This is referring to "O" retirement extensions. In Chiang Mai. I have been using a financial statement of income from the Consulate of the United States. for the past five years No $800,000 bank deposit needed. I have on standby a copy of my Army retirement earnings of $22,000 dollar, My State retirement earnings of $10,000, and Social Security earnings of 13,000 per year. Also included is my Wife's Thai/American Social Security income of $7,000. Just in case they ask. The $50 fee is no big deal. They want to see income, bank account in country or combination of funds showing $400,000 for married, Retirement. I have no problems.

Edited by Daniel Ingalls

This is referring to "O" retirement extensions. I have been using a financial statement of income from the Consulate of the United States. for the past five years

No $800,000 bank deposit needed. I have on standby a copy of my Army retirement earnings of $22,000 dollar, My State retirement earnings of $10,000, and Social Security earnings of 13,000 per year. Also included is my Wife's Thai/American Social Security income of $7,000. Just in case they ask. The $50 fee is no big deal.

That is nice for you, but the OP has not stated that he has any income. In case he didn't know about the income method or combo method (which is doubtful after being here 8 years already), he knows now.

On a similar topic - hope someone can advise

Preparing for my next Retirement Visa extension

I have the 800K in the bank fixed deposit for 3 years so no problem there BUT I will be out of Thailand when the visa expires. Is there a window of lienency to apply for extension? Especially if overseas when the visa expires?

On a similar topic - hope someone can advise

Preparing for my next Retirement Visa extension

I have the 800K in the bank fixed deposit for 3 years so no problem there BUT I will be out of Thailand when the visa expires. Is there a window of lienency to apply for extension? Especially if overseas when the visa expires?

No, you need to apply again in Thailand anytime in the 30 days before expiration. Else you need to re-enter with a non-imm 'O' visa that you can obtain it abroad, otherwise enter visa exempt or tourist visa and do a conversion in Bangkok.

a few years ago I was in the same position they just had a quick look in the bank book and never said a word. good luck,

How many years ago exactly and which office?

I recall Jomtien was not enforcing the seasoning rule for many years and then some years back, started strictly enforcing it.

Anyway, the way things stand now, it would be very foolish to expect this won't be strictly enforced at ALL offices.

Edited by Jingthing

Many thanks for all the replies. Very interesting.

I may just enquire at immigration how strictly they enforce the three month rule as it's pointless transferring the money in if I have to leave the country.

I have a small amount of income but my pensions don't kick in for three years so that's not an option yet.

This is the first time I've been late and it has only happened because I was in a dreadful car accident and utilised much of my available funds on supplementary medical expenses. I don't suppose that will be held as an excuse but you never know.

Once again thanks.

Edited by Baht Simpson

I think you are wasting your time even asking immigration.

Anyway, not sure why you don't want to go ahead with the money transfer.

You will need a new O visa (90 day stay/single entry) and with that you will be able to get a new annual extension with TWO MONTHS seasoning.

You will need a new O visa (90 day stay/single entry) and with that you will be able to get a new annual extension with TWO MONTHS seasoning.

Sorry, I haven't done my homework yet on this method. So if my current extension expired 30th May and I returned from the U.K. with a new O visa early June having had 800,000 in my Thai acount for 60 days I could get a 1 year extension?

Sorry, I haven't done my homework yet on this method. So if my current extension expired 30th May and I returned from the U.K. with a new O visa early June having had 800,000 in my Thai acount for 60 days I could get a 1 year extension?

Why would you go to the UK from Thailand just to get a single entry (90 day stay O visa!?!

Are you talking about going for an O-A visa in the UK instead?

If that is the case, you won't have to worry about extensions anytime soon.

If you want to stay closer you can get a single entry O visa in Penang or Vientienne based on being over 50 and showing financial proof for the later retirement extension.

Ask here for what exactly you'll need to show there.

With the new single entry O visa (90 day stay) you can then apply at your local Thai immigration office during the last 30 days of the 90 day stay for your FIRST annual retirement extension on that NEW visa.

For first time extensions, the money seasoning requirement is only two months. All subsequent extensions require three months.

Yes, you could get a new extension.

But you say you have an income. The income doesn't have to be from a pension, so it should be fine. Check with your embassy what they require to give you an income letter so you can go for the combination option.

Yes, you could get a new extension.

But you say you have an income. The income doesn't have to be from a pension, so it should be fine. Check with your embassy what they require to give you an income letter so you can go for the combination option.

I think the OP has only referred to using the pure 800K bank method. He wasn't asking about the income or combo method above. He was asking about money seasoning rules being different for first time or subsequent annual extensions.

A year ago, I was 10 days late with funding my account with 800,000. Jomtien Immigration looked, approved me and said."don't be late next time!" I smiled and said "thank you".

That sounds possible going in with a completed application.

I think going in and asking before the fact would probably get a different answer -- No.

Now if a person goes in before the application and gets a verbal yes, that doesn't mean that yes will carry any weight at the time of the actual application.

So if a person goes in with the completed application with a known fault and expects to get a yes ... that's a problem if they don't have a plan how to deal with a no.

The OP also has a situation of being a lot later than 10 days.

If it was me, I would go for the new single entry O visa.

Edited by Jingthing

Well if you are going to the UK and and hope to get a single entry O there for the purpose of getting a retirement extension back in Thailand, you will want to ask here whether that will be possible. (As opposed to requiring an application for an O-A visa instead.) I have no idea. I know it is possible in Laos and Malaysia.

If you are going to try in Laos and Malaysia and plan on using the 800K method for your later extension, ask here for specific advice on what to show at Penang or Vientienne as far as your proof of bank account. The last I heard KL is not recommended.

The seasoning part applies to extension applications, not visa applications.

To add, if you're going to the UK anyway, you might want to consider an O-A visa. That can give you about 2 years in Thailand before needing a new extension application. For O-A you can show funds in the UK rather than in Thailand. I assume the same if they'll accept a single entry O application for your stated purpose.

Edited by Jingthing