New 1155 and 1111 hotline launched for foreigners

webfact

I don't want to hear ever again, from anybody, that this government does not care about us foreigners.

Happiness to Thai people and a little happiness to the foreigners.

I believe it's more to come.

Visa relaxation perhaps?

You never know..........miracles do happen sometimes..........

Costas please, we all know you love the Gen. but miracles will not happen , not even sometimes.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Isaan the hot llne for police is 191.

Tried that 3 days ago when some smartie entered my wife"s shop while she was briefly outside the glass back door,did a circuit

of the counter and unplugged the cash register,and departed by vehicle.

So I arrived home shortly after it happened and gave 191 a try..I asked to be connected to our local police station,5 kms away,

to report a theft. Reply was in Thai of course. Then silence about a minute later another voice asked"can you speak Thai?"

I requested to be connected to our local police station which I named. Waited a couple of minutes then "CLICK" gone.

Just surmising if the reply had been prompt,and some one could turn their brain on, there was a chance to intercept the thief.

We are on a major highway, 212 which has check points on both north and south lanes approx 2kms from where we are..

Toooooooooooooooooooo Late

Maybe this is positive . however you don't have any idea what they will do with your complain,

I would prefer a mail address so you can write to some sort of ombudsman what is troubling you, this mail should be answered , and than at least you get the idea they listen (or read) to what you have to say.

Yeap, the 1155 has been around for years. But the 1111 is new I think (maybe not).. Better article in today's Bangkok Post on the subject.

I have called 1111 a few times last year regarding questions of my WP and VISA and they have been very helpful. And yes, they do speak english.

Lets hope they have more than 1 person and 1 phone. Because if it is food time the phone will not be answered. I had my bag snatched in Pattaya by 2 guys on bike, called the hot line 4 times, no answere. It was around 12.30 afternoon. I had to go down to Soi 9 police station to report it. If they had answered they might have been able to direct police to the area I had good discription of what they where wearing colour of the bike and helmets and model bike. These are good ideas but very hard for Thailand authorities to implement the changes.

New 1155 hotline launched for foreigners

The short tourist police number 1155 exists already for years.

At closer inspection you will find that they have switched the first and second digits around and thereby created the "new" numbers, which people will find more easy to remember. coffee1.gif

Edited by Morakot

Now I know why I hardly ever look at THAI VISA anymore. A positive announcement, Thailand is forthcoming on foreigners... And most comments just need to be negative, trying to put Thailand and Thai people in a bad daylight... I'm sooooo damn tired to read all the crappy comments.... If ur tired of living here, if u don't like visiting Thailand.. Then just don't! Or go home... And if ur bored or drunk, go try and find something interesting to do... There must be a few breads of humans, the people that matter, the people that just need to open their mouth, like ducks... Probably Sharing the same interests and QI...

Edited by luckynero

I have asked the tourist police a question one time only, it was at their booth somewhere at Sukhumvit. Their english was soo bad (she was sexy though) that i just said "thank you" and went my way.

Another time in a Central mall i reported a theft but they didn't understand me. Yes can spea enlit ka.

Also in the discovery mall next to Paragon i once reported a scammer who was annoying tourists but they didn't understand what i was saying. That guy had tried to scam me several times in a years time but even my wife told me to not report him, you never know.

Two years ago I had a severe emergency where two drunken young Thai men want to do bodily harm to me and perhaps kill me. The triggering event was my unthinking act of disrespect. The attackers spent about an hour trying to get to me. During that time, I telephoned Thailand Tourist Police and a polite good-English speaking male officer took my emergency complaint and, when he discovered I was a mile or so outside the city limits of Bangkok, he referred me to call 191 and flatly refused me help. I explained I was sober and feared for my life. He told me several times to "call 191." He hung up.

Three calls to 191 that I allowed to ring until the telephone system stopped the ringing were never answered.

My conclusion from this incident is... a foreigner can not depend on Thai Tourist Police help and not on the 191 emergency system. This news announcement appears to be the same old system just announced again. I add that this lack of police availability is the single most important reason not to tour nor live in Thailand.

Maybe this is positive . however you don't have any idea what they will do with your complain,

I would prefer a mail address so you can write to some sort of ombudsman what is troubling you, this mail should be answered , and than at least you get the idea they listen (or read) to what you have to say.

Why do not you call, love lodge a complaint, see how it's handled and then come back to post what happens , instead of assuming what might happen.

PS. I have used 1111 a number of times and each time my complaint resolved in 24 hours 100% to my satisfaction

Two years ago I had a severe emergency where two drunken young Thai men want to do bodily harm to me and perhaps kill me. The triggering event was my unthinking act of disrespect. The attackers spent about an hour trying to get to me. During that time, I telephoned Thailand Tourist Police and a polite good-English speaking male officer took my emergency complaint and, when he discovered I was a mile or so outside the city limits of Bangkok, he referred me to call 191 and flatly refused me help. I explained I was sober and feared for my life. He told me several times to "call 191." He hung up.

Three calls to 191 that I allowed to ring until the telephone system stopped the ringing were never answered.

My conclusion from this incident is... a foreigner can not depend on Thai Tourist Police help and not on the 191 emergency system. This news announcement appears to be the same old system just announced again. I add that this lack of police availability is the single most important reason not to tour nor live in Thailand.

Police emergency and complaint centers are not one of the same .

KhnomKhnom ignore the troll konying he cannot read english propperly .. next time give me a call mate and I come and rescue you ;-)

Now I know why I hardly ever look at THAI VISA anymore. A positive announcement, Thailand is forthcoming on foreigners... And most comments just need to be negative, trying to put Thailand and Thai people in a bad daylight... I'm sooooo damn tired to read all the crappy comments.... If ur tired of living here, if u don't like visiting Thailand.. Then just don't! Or go home... And if ur bored or drunk, go try and find something interesting to do... There must be a few breads of humans, the people that matter, the people that just need to open their mouth, like ducks... Probably Sharing the same interests and QI...

Have you actually been in a position where you needed assistance here and the process either failed or didn't work leaving you high and dry or stuck in a crappy situation? Doesn't sound like it. Did you not read about the bad experiences that others have had? People's perspective change quickly when they go from judging people to actually being judged after having their own bad experience. I for one applaud any positive change that helps foriegners in this country but not when it's done in a way that provides more failures and bad experiences than it does benefits. Maybe that's just the engineer in me but as someone else observantly mentioned, getting things integrated and functioning properly around here isn't the norm. I don't think we need to mention specifics BUT to their defense if they can't even do things properly for their own citizens then surely we can't expect them to do it for us.

Edited by fanof3d

I don't want to hear ever again, from anybody, that this government does not care about us foreigners.

Visa relaxation perhaps?

Costas are you on the government payroll as a public relations outlet or something?

I think they slightly "over" adjusted his attitude.....

He can't seem to go down from that trip he is in anymore saai.gif

Have you actually been in a position where you needed assistance here and the process either failed or didn't work leaving you high and dry or stuck in a crappy situation? Doesn't sound like it. Did you others have. People's perspective change quickly when they go from judging people to actually being judged after having their own bad experience. I for one applaud any positive change that helps foriegners in this country but not when it's not done in a way that provides more failures and bad experiences than it does benefits. Maybe that's just the engineer in me but as someone else observantly mentioned, getting things integrated and functioning properly around here isn't the norm. I don't think we need to mention specifics.

I see ur as fast as judging me, as u are to judge a new number just put in place. I'm not referring to the 1155. So, where u come from, there is tourist police and a special number for foreigners to call? And, u think that if u had a bad experience, that everybody else's can't be good? And, u didn't notice that systematically everything that concerns Thailand is made fun of, or getting free insults? But ok, let's state it's all so shitty and terrible. Make a move, get comfortable.. Decide what U need to do Edited by luckynero

Visa relaxation perhaps?

Please come again when you finally understand that all this BS is just marketing and that they are actively doing NOTHING.

Until then I will repeat as much as you like that nobody cares about foreigners in this country !

KhnomKhnom ignore the troll konying he cannot read english propperly .. next time give me a call mate and I come and rescue you ;-)

The Internet troll warrior, lol

Visa relaxation perhaps?

Please come again when you finally understand that all this BS is just marketing and that they are actively doing NOTHING.

Until then I will repeat as much as you like that nobody cares about foreigners in this country !

The only BS is your post, utter nonsense , without a clue at all.

1111 has been in operation for years for complaints not emergency as some seem to struggle to understand.

1111 is something like commonwealth ombudsman not police rescue services.

Introducing English speakers is just an added bonus to assist with complaint handling.

I guess this is why there are foreigner living good life and those who do not stop to whine about being victims.

But please ignore this along with others, so 1111 will have more time for dealing with complaints and assisting people with common sense.

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

They try to facilitate life for foreigners.

But they have 2 hotlines...

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

2 numbers, you really struggle to understand what that means?

Did you want 100 hotlines? For each time you get short changed or do not understand what taxi is saying

Visa relaxation perhaps?

The only BS is your post, utter nonsense , without a clue at all.

1111 has been in operation for years for complaints not emergency as some seem to struggle to understand.

1111 is something like commonwealth ombudsman not police rescue services.

Introducing English speakers is just an added bonus to assist with complaint handling.

I guess this is why there are foreigner living good life and those who do not stop to whine about being victims.

But please ignore this along with others, so 1111 will have more time for dealing with complaints and assisting people with common sense.

So why bother posting old news these numbers have been around for years ..

Here in Isaan the hot llne for police is 191.

Tried that 3 days ago when some smartie entered my wife"s shop while she was briefly outside the glass back door,did a circuit of the counter and unplugged the cash register,and departed by vehicle.

So I arrived home shortly after it happened and gave 191 a try..I asked to be connected to our local police station,5 kms away, to report a theft. Reply was in Thai of course. Then silence about a minute later another voice asked"can you speak Thai?"

I requested to be connected to our local police station which I named. Waited a couple of minutes then "CLICK" gone.

Just surmising if the reply had been prompt,and some one could turn their brain on, there was a chance to intercept the thief. We are on a major highway, 212 which has check points on both north and south lanes approx 2kms from where we are..

Toooooooooooooooooooo Late

I've also had experience with 191. I speak Thai. I arrived at a lower north train station at 2AM from the south and went to claim my motorcycle from the parking lot, ticket in hand. The guard informed me the lot would not open until 8AM. I attempted to take my motorcycle and the guard attacked me with a machete. No cuts, he just waved it about and literally stroked me with it to let me know he meant business.

I quickly deescalated the situation with my hands up high in the air and once away from the guard I dialed 191 telling them (in Thai) this guy has threatened me with a machete. The police did arrive, 15 in total about 20 minutes after I called 191, and by which time the situation was cool. There was a delay though, while they considered first that I might have been a nutcase.

The guard was later fired.

All in, I was quite satisfied with the police's response. I could have been hacked to bits, however I was cool and successfully deescalated the conflict.

191 works if you can speak Thai, and I do feel sorry the old man was fired as I was partly at fault. The parking lot's operating times were posted in both Thai and English. I failed to see the notice. Perhaps if I had stuck around longer he wouldn't have been fired.

The moral of the story is 191 can work if you can speak Thai.