New 1155 and 1111 hotline launched for foreigners

webfact

In fairness, tourist police are pretty useless with very limited powers or access.

Really not sure why anyone would call them to lodge any kind of complaints.

Because supposedly they're supposed to have some English language speaking capability, given their stated mission is dealing with tourists/expats, unlike the regular police and the 191 hotline which, AFAIK, has basically NO English language speaking capability...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness, tourist police are pretty useless with very limited powers or access.

Really not sure why anyone would call them to lodge any kind of complaints.

Because supposedly they're supposed to have some English language speaking capability, given their stated mission is dealing with tourists/expats, unlike the regular police and the 191 hotline which, AFAIK, has basically NO English language speaking capability...

Do not disagree with you, as i said, i really do not see the point of calling tourist police.

I once was contacted by tourist police at the airport because of some customer complaint.

I listened to what she had to say in bad but understandable English, then asked what she wanted.

Her response was "you call me Mr, what you want?" (read above, they called me, not other way around)

I said i did not want anything, and it was the end. Go figurebiggrin.png

Two years ago I had a severe emergency where two drunken young Thai men want to do bodily harm to me and perhaps kill me. The triggering event was my unthinking act of disrespect. The attackers spent about an hour trying to get to me. During that time, I telephoned Thailand Tourist Police and a polite good-English speaking male officer took my emergency complaint and, when he discovered I was a mile or so outside the city limits of Bangkok, he referred me to call 191 and flatly refused me help. I explained I was sober and feared for my life. He told me several times to "call 191." He hung up.

Three calls to 191 that I allowed to ring until the telephone system stopped the ringing were never answered.

My conclusion from this incident is... a foreigner can not depend on Thai Tourist Police help and not on the 191 emergency system. This news announcement appears to be the same old system just announced again. I add that this lack of police availability is the single most important reason not to tour nor live in Thailand.

"--- I telephoned Thailand Tourist Police and a polite good-English speaking male officer took my emergency complaint and, when he discovered I was a mile or so outside the city limits of Bangkok, he referred me to call 191 and flatly refused me help....."

you were too slow, you should have said that you had just shot 2 Thai guys trying to assault you - bet that would have got a quicker reply.

As usual nearly 100% negative comments to what is a positive announcement. Give it a chance for Gods sake. Am sure that if announcement such as no visas required for over 65s, would still get nothing but negativity on these pages. Unless locked up in jail to my knowledge no Westerner is being forced to live here against their will.

If you have ever tried to call 1155 in an emergency, you will probably find as I did, nobody answers the phone and it just rings out. Negative comments? Yes well founded!

Some folks just dont know the reality of Thailand ALL is just lip service and nothing more.

Oh Ye of little faith, give the "new Sheriff" a chance. At least they are trying. Give it a chance!

If you classify holding a press conference to take credit for a service that has been in existence for a decade as "trying", then you are either naive or just have low expectations.

The source of some of the cynicism here could be that this junta forcefully took power from an elected government on the pretense that they would solve the alleged corruption and inefficiency of the previous government. This holds the junta to a higher standard, and the junta has not even come close to meeting this standard.

On and On and On ..........some people never learn and never plan ahead - yet they ridicule others that try, and are always the first to complain.

Find out and then check out the local numbers for the Police, Ambulance, Hospital (pick 1 or 2), Dentists, Towtruck, Taxi, etc etc.

This is a BIG country with a couple of Cities and the rest is a bunch of Regional Villages - there is no 999 or 000 here.

And stop complaining your Mummy (State) isnt here to look after you - look after yourself - if you cant, then stop playing with whores/yourself and get a GF to look after you.

And if that doesn't work then you know where you can take your bat and ball laugh.png

This is Thailand, you simply cant have expectations for things to be working properly, being effective, being logical, and so forth. Otherwise you will be very disappointed. I'm constantly struggling to accept this, but you take the bad with the good and that's it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...