Stupid doctor misjudgment in expensive hospital

anthobkk

this is the reason i hope i never get seriously sick in thailand.

a lot of this thai medical stuff feels like a "veil" and not the competent care available in a western country where education levels are higher and accountability higher, and right to sue is possible.

i still get my eyes checked in the us and would like dental there as well. the optometrist and several dentists i have seen in thailand all came across as not real educated and all of them had an "immature" bed manner, for lack of a better word.

doing a hospital bit over here is not something i would be interested in.

I got a hernia repaired some years back in Bangkok Rayong hospital and the "experience" was first class and better than any care i had ever received in US, UK or other so called 1st world countries I have worked in, the surgeon was excellent, as where all the nursing staff.

and one assumes seeing as your commenting on the education and technical competency of doctors/dentists in Thailand, one assumes you have had medical training to the point where you can assess a medical practitioner, ie your a doctor of medicine yourself and your education level is higher than said doctors/dentists your commenting on ?

or is more of a case I am a know it all white farang and I know better than the natives ?

Off Topic

How much was the surgery and how many nights in the hospital?

Also how long before you were fully functioning again?

I need one done, so trying to decide if to go with insurance or pay outright and how long i will need to be off work

Cheers

Had mine dome at posh private hospital in London paid by my firms medical insurance, so can't comment on cost here or relative quality etc.

As regards timings I went in overnight, the op was done in the morning and I was released the following morning. Had to have someone collect me and walked a bit gingerly that day. I think I took off 3 days from work including the operation day and I did no sports for a few weeks, but it was office work so a manual worker would need longer. It was all pretty non-invasive from a user's perspective. It was done down a hole cut in my belly which healed quickly (actually two as he decided to do both groins having seen the state of the target).

I'm sure you will get other guidance if you do a Google search

When at a Hospital I have learned to question everything.... (in the UK too).

(At Samitivej) Last year this resulted in getting a Paediatrician switched out when attending to my Son (who had a temperature) - the Dr. in question showed no common sense or logic and clearly lacked critical thought. The Paediatrician who replaced her was super-smart, super-swtiched on and gave me confidence in her knowledge, abilities and diagnosis.

(At Samitivej) A few years ago I damaged my back (sporting injury) - the attending Dr moved me around a little and suggested a pulled muscle (I knew the issue wasn't that simple when I lost feeling in my legs), I got the impression it was the end of a long day for him, he refused to give me an x-ray or MRI. I left the hospital and went straight to Bumrungrad, where I was x-rayed, a ruptured disk was found. A further MRI found that I had 3 ruptured disks.

When I have even the slightest inkling of doubt I double check, question and re-question until I'm satisfied. I do this politely and respectfully but make it extremely clear that my concerns are important.

• Like 2

We tend to hold doctors to standards above human beings. Unfortunately, they are human, they are good, bad, and have different degrees of competence just like you and I.

My brother is a well known orthopedic surgeon in the U.S. When I told him about my joint problem he replied, "Don't ask me, I only know about hands." Now that is some honesty you won't get when you walk into your doctors office. My brother helped me realized doctors are not computer encyclopedias. They are people too.