Stupid doctor misjudgment in expensive hospital

anthobkk

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I was with some friends and my GF and she fell down while going out of a taxi At first it didn't look bad at all but she couldn't stand up and was really in pain.

2min later an ambulance came to bring her to a quite expensive hospital near Rama 9.

When she arrived there, the doctor was laughing at her, saying she was making a drama and that she should not come to hospital for such a small injury.

We asked for X-ray, and apparently he saw NOTHING and said she just need some ice and pain killers and will feel better after a few hours.

They let us leave the hospital without crutches (even though she was not able to walk at all) and we took to a taxi back home.

This morning she was really in pain so we called the hospital back. They were able to find the X-ray and another doctor told us to come immediately, that there was a broken bone.

When we arrive, we asked to check the X-ray and it was clear that the bone was broken, even a child could figure it out.

I asked to talk to the doctor who was laughing last night and he could only said that he was sorry, but they didn't want to refund us the 2.000 baht from last night.

We asked to talk to a new doctor and now she is ok with a plaster splint but he told us that this could have been worse if we didn't came back today.

So my question is, is it normal in Thailand when you go to these kind of expensive hospital to meet a stupid doctor like that who don't even take 10 sec to look for an X-ray, then just say sorry to us but don't want to refund at least his fees ???

She has an insurance so we are ok about the money spent but we just feel bad about what they did and this guy doesn't care at all and doesn't take his job seriously.

Edited by anthobkk
  • Like 1

I couldn't afford the "diagnose for profit" hospitals around Pattaya and when I had my recent freak accident of falling off my pedal cycle and breaking 5 bones in my right leg went to the Government hospital at banglamung

The doctor had me in X Ray within 10 minutes or arrival and in the Operating Theatre within 3 hours.

3 hour operation and then after 7 days discharged myself with the Doctors approval total cost including all drugs and a cd of the x rays of the breaks, nursing care etc 62K baht

I couldn't fault the place apart from the food which whilst well cooked and prepared wasn't my Wans cooking but then again I lost my appetite for 6 of those seven days

I am sure that I have heard the the same Doctors who tended me also serve the hospitals for profit as well so it seem that I had a great deal at the local .

In any event I have nothing but respect for the Doctors to the staff who wait at the emergency room doors to push my wheelchair up that big slope with a huge grin on their faces (im not a lightweight) and the professionalism of all the medical staff at Banglamung

And in the private hospital you would most probably have paid 620.000......

(not to mention that they might have talked you into something not necessary).

62K is like 2000 USD...that sounds very fair!!

(I assume the leg is now OK, they did it right, not just amputate it...)

• Like 2

Don't go to expensive hospitals..same as many institutions here..they buy their positions.

We didn't have much choices. Volonteers came to pick her. I told them we would rather go to a public one but there were 6-7 motorbike and ambulance already around us. They asked her about insurance so we didn't have to worry about the price....it is just this doctor who was just unprofessional at all.

I went to this hospital before, they were nice, fast and the price was reasonable (for a check up)...today they were nice as well and the doctor knew his job. I just complain about that guy last night. My GF told me he looked too young to be a doctor so maybe he was an intern, we don't know...but for sure you must be stupid not to notice a broken bone on a foot when the bone his broken in half !

Get konying to ring one of his complaint lines.

He's got all the numbers.

Is it not best not to comment than to just post rubbish?

Oh wait I forgot , trolling is a hobby and then you wonder why some people stalk you!

Funny that, yet another expert on thailand

• Like 1

OP , it's not an unusual as you think.

I think 2 years ago a doctor at bangkok hospital Pattaya pronounced 1 patient dead, family was advised and all the rest, only to discover by another doctor who walked passed accidently that patient was alive .

Doctors in thailand do not seem to be held accountable, filing law suits is also very difficult because law firms scared to take on private hospital or want huge amount up front.

Best would be to contact hospital management and board.

With the case I mentioned, family did that and matter was settled internally.

Not sure the outcome for the doctor but no doubt something was done.

I couldn't afford the "diagnose for profit" hospitals around Pattaya and when I had my recent freak accident of falling off my pedal cycle and breaking 5 bones in my right leg went to the Government hospital at banglamung

The doctor had me in X Ray within 10 minutes or arrival and in the Operating Theatre within 3 hours.

3 hour operation and then after 7 days discharged myself with the Doctors approval total cost including all drugs and a cd of the x rays of the breaks, nursing care etc 62K baht

I couldn't fault the place apart from the food which whilst well cooked and prepared wasn't my Wans cooking but then again I lost my appetite for 6 of those seven days

I am sure that I have heard the the same Doctors who tended me also serve the hospitals for profit as well so it seem that I had a great deal at the local .

In any event I have nothing but respect for the Doctors to the staff who wait at the emergency room doors to push my wheelchair up that big slope with a huge grin on their faces (im not a lightweight) and the professionalism of all the medical staff at Banglamung

And in the private hospital you would most probably have paid 620.000......

(not to mention that they might have talked you into something not necessary).

62K is like 2000 USD...that sounds very fair!!

(I assume the leg is now OK, they did it right, not just amputate it...)

I have heard so many stories of incompetence in diagnosing apart from stories of what must be seen by even the most fair minded person as sheer profiteering that I admit to being scared about going anywhere other than a "local"

Yes I have heard of the local hospitals not having the same level of high tech equipment but I will take my chances with those I have faith in and that for me Is Queen Sirikit, Banglamung and maybe Saracha.

As for the leg (No they didn't amputate) I am doing great and hope to be walking as soon as the two months to "not place the bad leg on the floor is over."

I have been in the pool doing all the stretching of tendons and muscles but not actually placing any weight on my leg so I am hoping that I will soon be back on the bike.

I have now built up to 200 x 2 full rotations of the leg per day against the water pressure in the pool whilst propping myself up on my arms in a corner of the deep end , just like the rotation of your leg when riding a bike ,the only part I havnt done a lot with is the ankle because I know how sensitive they can be when it come to rehabilitation but the knee is now making full movements in all direction without too many aches

In Farangistan I walked around on a fractured foot for 6 weeks and they told me it was sprained, and they completely missed the broken bone on the X-ray...

so not only Thailand

BTW THB 2000 ain't an expensive hospital by any stretch of the imagination

OP , it's not an unusual as you think.

I think 2 years ago a doctor at bangkok hospital Pattaya pronounced 1 patient dead, family was advised and all the rest, only to discover by another doctor who walked passed accidently that patient was alive .

Doctors in thailand do not seem to be held accountable, filing law suits is also very difficult because law firms scared to take on private hospital or want huge amount up front.

Best would be to contact hospital management and board.

With the case I mentioned, family did that and matter was settled internally.

Not sure the outcome for the doctor but no doubt something was done.

Agree. You should make a formal complaint to the hospital Director.

You'll be doing the next patient a favor..and the hospital, by letting them know they need to keep an eye on this individual.

• Like 2

this is the reason i hope i never get seriously sick in thailand.

a lot of this thai medical stuff feels like a "veil" and not the competent care available in a western country where education levels are higher and accountability higher, and right to sue is possible.

i still get my eyes checked in the us and would like dental there as well. the optometrist and several dentists i have seen in thailand all came across as not real educated and all of them had an "immature" bed manner, for lack of a better word.

doing a hospital bit over here is not something i would be interested in.

a lot of this thai medical stuff feels like a "veil" and not the competent care available in a western country where education levels are higher and accountability higher, and right to sue is possible.

i still get my eyes checked in the us and would like dental there as well. the optometrist and several dentists i have seen in thailand all came across as not real educated and all of them had an "immature" bed manner, for lack of a better word.

I got a hernia repaired some years back in Bangkok Rayong hospital and the "experience" was first class and better than any care i had ever received in US, UK or other so called 1st world countries I have worked in, the surgeon was excellent, as where all the nursing staff.

and one assumes seeing as your commenting on the education and technical competency of doctors/dentists in Thailand, one assumes you have had medical training to the point where you can assess a medical practitioner, ie your a doctor of medicine yourself and your education level is higher than said doctors/dentists your commenting on ?

or is more of a case I am a know it all white farang and I know better than the natives ?

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

You sure that was a doctor? Once, I went to get some skin cancer excised (and biopsied), and while waiting, an orderly (who job seems to consist solely of pushing patients around in wheelchairs, thus not employed for his intelligence) wandered over. He started to inspect my shoulder and was generally acting like he was an important part of the furniture. I'm sure there must be a few Walter Mitty types around in hospitals, especially as the doctors and nurses don't seem to say anything or tell them to bugger off.

Good and bad doctors in any country, not only Thailand.

I feel able to comment after spending 7 months in a Thai hospital.

After coming home, i had an appointment to see doctor in charge of my case.

Went to hospital.The doctor was delayed with an operation, so i had to see another doctor.

I had just come from x-ray, can you take steel of my leg. No was the reply your femur ,is only 50% healed !! WHAT!! says i.

How come when it was x-rayed last month it was 60% healed, moment i will check your x-ray.

He was too lazy to have checked my x-ray, so was just spouting rubbish to get rid of me.

At that moment my usual doctor came in looked at x-ray, your femur is healed we will take off the steel today. Thank you.

One doctor too lazy other doctor 100% profestional.

• Like 2

We seem to be forgetting how the educational system works here. No matter how stupid and lazy little Somchai is he will continually be advanced by mom and dad paying off the school and/or the teachers. Never forget, everything is done here by payoffs. There are almost no safeguards to prevent these cretins from becomming doctors, lawyers, politicians, etc. A prime position at a top hospital can be as often purchaed as earned. When it comes to healthcare, you are in large part on your own. Be careful.

What happened to my Thai friend was opposite of what happened in the opening post. He fall in the bathroom and hurt his knee, the doctor in Ubon Ratchathani hospital told him he had a broken bone, they cut open his knee and found otherwise. The hospital said he was at fault why did he come to the hospital it should not have hurt that much. Had to pay 7000B. THis is about 2 months ago.

I got a hernia repaired some years back in Bangkok Rayong hospital and the "experience" was first class and better than any care i had ever received in US, UK or other so called 1st world countries I have worked in, the surgeon was excellent, as where all the nursing staff.

and one assumes seeing as your commenting on the education and technical competency of doctors/dentists in Thailand, one assumes you have had medical training to the point where you can assess a medical practitioner, ie your a doctor of medicine yourself and your education level is higher than said doctors/dentists your commenting on ?

or is more of a case I am a know it all white farang and I know better than the natives ?

Off Topic

How much was the surgery and how many nights in the hospital?

Also how long before you were fully functioning again?

I need one done, so trying to decide if to go with insurance or pay outright and how long i will need to be off work

Cheers

Off Topic

I need one done, so trying to decide if to go with insurance or pay outright and how long i will need to be off work

Cheers

keeping in mind it was about 6 years ago there about's...Thb 86k. - 3 nights in hospital, the 3rd night was my own doing rolleyes.gif as they released me to go home, and the smart arse I am, told them I didn't need the wheel chair to the car...and I walked out,(hobbled might be better to describe it) and had a bit of "blood pressure drop" while I was signing the bill, and the surgeon put me back in the bed for another night to monitor me laugh.png

recovery = week on my back - 6 weeks before I was signed off as fit to go back to work

• Like 1

Off Topic

Cheers

keeping in mind it was about 6 years ago there about's...Thb 86k. - 3 nights in hospital, the 3rd night was my own doing rolleyes.gif as they released me to go home, and the smart arse I am, told them I didn't need the wheel chair to the car...and I walked out,(hobbled might be better to describe it) and had a bit of "blood pressure drop" while I was signing the bill, and the surgeon put me back in the bed for another night to monitor me laugh.png

recovery = week on my back - 6 weeks before I was signed off as fit to go back to work

Thank youwai2.gif

Please do not name the doctor as this would violate Thailand's anti-defamation laws.

As to which hospital, this could happen anywhere and should note that he also reports very good care at that same hospital from a different doctor. There is unfortunately no such thing as a hospital where all the doctors are good, every hospital has some less than competent/conscientious doctors and most hospitals also have some really good ones.

Moral of the story is (1) carefully choose your doctor wherever possible and (2) if what a doctor says/did does not feel right, trust your instincts and get another opinion.

• Like 2

Please do not name the doctor as this would violate Thailand's anti-defamation laws.

As to which hospital, this could happen anywhere and should note that he also reports very good care at that same hospital from a different doctor. There is unfortunately no such thing as a hospital where all the doctors are good, every hospital has some less than competent/conscientious doctors and most hospitals also have some really good ones.

Moral of the story is (1) carefully choose your doctor wherever possible and (2) if what a doctor says/did does not feel right, trust your instincts and get another opinion.

I think in the case with OP, good indicator and warning signs were doctor laughing and stating not to come for minor problems.

Putting aside patients are his bread and butter, bedside manner would have been enough to put me off