Double check on foreign currency account

With kasikorn, be aware their SWIFT international wire transfer office is in Bangkok. They will charge you an additional fee to transfer the money from the wire transfer office in Bangkok to any branch outside of Bangkok.

Also, Kasikorn did not have US$ international clearing facilities several years ago, so when I transferred US$ to Kasikorn, it was done through an intermediary bank, and of course, there is an additional fee by that bank.

With kasikorn, be aware their SWIFT international wire transfer office is in Bangkok. They will charge you an additional fee to transfer the money from the wire transfer office in Bangkok to any branch outside of Bangkok.

Also, Kasikorn did not have US$ international clearing facilities several years ago, so when I transferred US$ to Kasikorn, it was done through an intermediary bank, and of course, there is an additional fee by that bank.

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't even aware of those things.

Isn't the intermediary bank somewhere between the sender and the receiver bank, so that clearing facilities should actually be with the sender bank?

Did you transfer to a USD account with Kasikorn or a Thai Baht account?

Isn't the intermediary bank somewhere between the sender and the receiver bank, so that clearing facilities should actually be with the sender bank?

I transferred US$ from a Canadian Bank US$ account to Kasikorn Bank branch in Pattaya, and Kasikorn converted the US$ into Thai baht. This was for a condo purchase. Yes the intermediary bank is between sender and receiver. The funds went from Toronto Canada to New York USA to Bangkok, and the first transfer took about 10 days before it appeared in my Thai account. I was told that the World Bank held-up the funds but I wasn't the told the reason for the holdup.

I transferred US$ from a Canadian Bank US$ account to Kasikorn Bank branch in Pattaya, and Kasikorn converted the US$ into Thai baht. This was for a condo purchase. Yes the intermediary bank is between sender and receiver. The funds went from Toronto Canada to New York USA to Bangkok, and the first transfer took about 10 days before it appeared in my Thai account. I was told that the World Bank held-up the funds but I wasn't the told the reason for the holdup.

So in fact the intermediary bank was used because your Canadian bank doesn't has USD clearing facilities, nothing to do with Kasikorn.

You should have a asked a for detail log of the transfer, it would have shown exactly where the money was at any given time during the past 10 days.

I had a similar event with Kasikorn once, although not 10 days and was given also the run around that the money didn't arrive, while the trace log showed the money arrived in Bangkok 8 hours after I had initiated the transfer.

So in fact the intermediary bank was used because your Canadian bank doesn't has USD clearing facilities, nothing to do with Kasikorn.

You should have a asked a for detail log of the transfer, it would have shown exactly where the money was at any given time during the past 10 days.

I had a similar event with Kasikorn once, although not 10 days and was given also the run around that the money didn't arrive, while the trace log showed the money arrived in Bangkok 8 hours after I had initiated the transfer.

No, the Canadian bank does have US$ clearing facilities, and it owns a bank in USA. The Canadian bank told me Kasikorn uses an Intermediary bank for US$ transfers, because they don't have international US$ facilities.

I also transferred CAD$ from a Canadian bank account to Kasikorn directly, without an intermediary bank.

Thanks for the trace log info, I didn't know that was an option. So kasikorn was just playing/delaying my money to get the most favourable exchange rate for themselves.

K-bank where lying to you, the money mostly likely ended up in a holding account at K-bank head office in BKK earning interest for them and they "lost" it

What you have to understand is all international transfers in Thailand go through their head offices in BKK not to the branch

I "lost" USD 15k for 28 days one time when I transferred cash from Citi in Singapore to the Pattaya branch of TMB.

The blamed Citibank and said they never received any transfer

I checked with Citi bank and they proved the cash had been taken out the account about 4 hours after my instruction and transferred to TBM, after much backwards and forwards between BKK TMB HO and TMB Pattaya and even my Citibank relationship manager getting involved and phoning them from Singapore ..the cash was "found" in receiving holding account in TMB head office rolleyes.gif

the Citibank relationship manager commented that TBM were incompetent and asked if all Thai banks behaved like this

No, the Canadian bank does have US$ clearing facilities, and it owns a bank in USA. The Canadian bank told me Kasikorn uses an Intermediary bank for US$ transfers, because they don't have international US$ facilities.

I also transferred CAD$ from a Canadian bank account to Kasikorn directly, without an intermediary bank.

Thanks for the trace log info, I didn't know that was an option. So kasikorn was just playing/delaying my money to get the most favourable exchange rate for themselves.

Yes Kasikorn was probably lying to you, as most banks in the world have a habit of that.

But about the intermediary bank, the receiving end doesn't need to have USD international clearing facilities, it is the sending bank that needs to have them and who needs to use such an correspondent bank.

I'm in the process of transferring USD from my bank in Europe to Thailand or Singapore, and my bank has already informed me about the fees they charge and the fees the correspondent bank will charge, and they are not yet informed where or who the receiving bank will be. They say that for all foreign currency transfers they make use of such a correspondent bank.