'Toxic Tuna' report looks at Thailand's 'cannery row'

webfact

'Toxic Tuna' report looks at Thailand's 'cannery row'
By Coconuts Bangkok

tunareport.jpg
ABOVE: Tuna piled in the open at a Samut Sakhon packing plant from a scene in a video report by The Daily Telegraph.

BANGKOK: -- A report from The Daily Telegraph alleges questionable sanitary conditions at Thai tuna packing plants.

A team from the Australian publication described “messy” and “smelly” conditions at a plant west of Bangkok in where tuna being investigated for sickening seven people last month at a Sydney cafe reportedly came from.

Australian agriculture officials are testing the tuna, the Monday report says, after seven diners became ill from scombroid food poisoning, which is caused by eating rotten fish.

The plant, operated by Sea Value Group, is in a coastal enclave in Samut Sakhon province where many large exporters operate, including Thai Union Frozen Products, which owns Chicken of the Sea, Bumblebee and other international brands. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/03/12/toxic-tuna-report-looks-thailands-cannery-row

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-12

"Cannery Row". I read that Steinbeck book and two other of his books 100 years ago. "Travels with Charley" and another. Someone must be into American Lit.

Grapes Of Wrath....East of Eden..........

• Like 2

"Cannery Row". I read that Steinbeck book and two other of his books 100 years ago. "Travels with Charley" and another. Someone must be into American Lit.

I think the reporter read the title of the Steinbeck book but no further. "Cannery Row" is about the people who occupied a cannery district after the cannery businesses closed.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

just look at the fish, they are not fresh but old and lying on the floor, not even in ice bins to keep it fresh, dried skin, shrunken eyes etc, wouldnt feed this to a cat but then what can we expect from a business wanting to make profits, have cut something and it looks like it was the quality and sanitary conditions, this is disgusting

• Like 2

This is such a BS "investigative report". They spent lots of money to fly a couple journalists to Thailand and expected them to come back with something really damning. Instead we get reports of "smelly and messy" tuna rooms. Imagine that, a fish processing plant that SMELLS! Dear God No!

We get pics of what they call "shanty towns" where the workers live. They look nearly the same as any lower-income Thai housing neighborhood I have ever seen.

The tuna cans are unlabelled until orders arrive...oh the horror!!

The conditions are "Hellish" for workers! Wait, in the interview, the worker says he makes USD400 a month. Thats over Bt13k a month - well over the national average! Dear God he gets only 1 day off a week. Oh wait, thats the norm for 90% of workers in Thailand.

And really that pic of the guy with his head covered...lol...what is the point??

"Packed in like a sardines" yet they dont have a single pic showing anything like that. Me thinks it was just a journalist who realllly wanted to use such a clever headline.

If I were TUF, I'd be sending my lawyers at them pronto. They have absolutely nothing to do with the poisoning, are a completely different company and in fact were completely open with the journalists, answering all their questions. They get clumped in with the bad guys and shown in a horrible light despite having done nothing wrong. HOW DARE THEY BUY A FOOTBALL CLUB.

• Like 1

I think the reporter read the title of the Steinbeck book but no further. "Cannery Row" is about the people who occupied a cannery district after the cannery businesses closed.

A better comparison would be Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle," which brought to light appalling sanitary and labor conditions in America's slaughterhouses in the early 20th century.

• Like 1

This is such a BS "investigative report". They spent lots of money to fly a couple journalists to Thailand and expected them to come back with something really damning. Instead we get reports of "smelly and messy" tuna rooms. Imagine that, a fish processing plant that SMELLS! Dear God No!

We get pics of what they call "shanty towns" where the workers live. They look nearly the same as any lower-income Thai housing neighborhood I have ever seen.

The conditions are "Hellish" for workers! Wait, in the interview, the worker says he makes USD400 a month. Thats over Bt13k a month - well over the national average! Dear God he gets only 1 day off a week. Oh wait, thats the norm for 90% of workers in Thailand.

And really that pic of the guy with his head covered...lol...what is the point??

"Packed in like a sardines" yet they dont have a single pic showing anything like that. Me thinks it was just a journalist who realllly wanted to use such a clever headline.

If I were TUF, I'd be sending my lawyers at them pronto. They have absolutely nothing to do with the poisoning, are a completely different company and in fact were completely open with the journalists, answering all their questions. They get clumped in with the bad guys and shown in a horrible light despite having done nothing wrong. HOW DARE THEY BUY A FOOTBALL CLUB.

The story might be pretty poor but it was triggered by food poisoning from these factories. They need to lift their game with food handling and or storage hygiene.

• Like 1

And I wonder why hotels here in Thailand let uninspiring Thais run large hotels here. The food in the last 5-7 years has deteriorated in Bangkok. For what?...To save 1-2k USD per month by not hiring an experienced expat.

• Like 1

The story might be pretty poor but it was triggered by food poisoning from these factories. They need to lift their game with food handling and or storage hygiene.

You are missing the point - it was the ISA Value Co Ltd who was at fault. TUF is being thrown under the bus for no reason.

I eat Thai tuna all the time, while in the USA bumble bee and chicken of the sea were always my favorites. Never recall being sick from eating their products. Seven diners becoming sick out of the billions of cans of tuna that are packed by this corporation, an insignificant number.

Maybe they should look closer at the restaurants where these products were served, out of the can tuna can does age fast and requires a short shelf life when opened. Particularly when mixed in a salad.

In all our developed countries there are always recalls and many cases of food poisoning on all canned products as well as fresh products.

• Like 1

just look at the fish, they are not fresh but old and lying on the floor, not even in ice bins to keep it fresh, dried skin, shrunken eyes etc, wouldnt feed this to a cat but then what can we expect from a business wanting to make profits, have cut something and it looks like it was the quality and sanitary conditions, this is disgusting

Yes, just look at it, but look at it properly, with your specs on.

This is probably fish that has been dumped, not fish that is about to be processed, as it all seems to be in plastic bags and it is outside the plant. It's very unlikely that a wholesaler would be supplying fish in those bags.

In Japan, tuna is carefully kept frozen or refrigerated until it is served. It would be nice if the tuna canneries here could afford the same amount of refrigeration until the tuna is served or canned.

BTW, Cannery Row in Monterey, CA was a desolate place during the 60's and early 70's. Now it's crammed with high-end restaurants and shops with the Monterey Bay Aquarium being an attraction at one end of the row. Monterey itself has undergone a huge population surge and is no longer the laid back place that it was in the 60's. Back then, the road over to Carmel and streets in Monterey had very few cars on them after 8:00 PM. How times have changed the city!

Of course, back in the 40's and 50's working conditions in the sardine canneries were pretty bad. It would be interesting to compare the operation of the canneries then with the operation of the Thai canneries now. I'll bet they would be similar!

The Daily Telegraph is a sensationalist rag for the semi-literate and new immigrants with a limited English vocabulary. It actually used to increase in value when used as a fish and chip wrapper but that practice has been discontinued, and the drop in price of toilet tissue has removed the last possible reason to buy it.

• Like 1

A plant full of fish was "smelly"? Cant believe this, next they will write about rock concerts being noisy.

They are too noisy, but I guess you like that sort of thing you get use to it. What I hate is when you go to a restaurant and it sounds like you are at a Concert/Disco. I also never understood why such loud music was required to enjoy a brew in a bar or GoGo Bar 90 plus decibels is required.

Hell, you can not even enjoy a game of pool at most locations due to noise.

HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BAD FISH, but I feel better !!

Hanging around Ranong has caused me to wonder about the cleanliness of whatever seafood products they package there.

Last I heard most of the canned tuna in the US came from the Pacific islands. These days in the US the frozen shrimp (prawns) come from either Thailand or Bangladesh.