Govt has no say on BTS fare

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: – The government has no control on the BTS charges for sky train services, deputy spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

The setting and adjustment of sky train charges is prescribed by the 1999 contract between Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and operator Bangkok Mass Transit System, Sansern said.

Under the contract, the BTS is authorised to adjust the charges, he said, noting that the operator is only obliged to notify the adjustment 30 days in advance.

In view of the economic downturn, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has asked the authorities to try and convince BTS to delay the planned fare increase, he said.

Even if the BTS will go ahead with fare hike, the change should not exceed five per cent or about two baht, he added.

BTS chief operating officer Surapong Laoha-unya said sky train fare will likely increase by two baht by June 1.

At present, BTS charges range from 15 to 42 baht depending on distance travelled. This is below the contractual limit of 20-60 baht.

Surapong said the timing and rate of fare hike is still tentative since the company has yet to factor in the prevailing economic indicators such as lower-than-expected inflation, consumer’s index and household spending.

Commuters should not be overly concerned about the matter, he said, revealing that the sky train has been serving 700,000 commuters per day on two routes with the total distance of 36.3 kilometers.

BTS is expected to win the contracts within this year to serve three new routes, Bearing to Samut Prakan, Watcharaphol to Thong Lo and Bang Na to Suvarnabhumi Airport (light rail route).

By the next five years, BTS service routes should expand to 118.5 kilometers, generating the revenues of 10 billion baht.

It has making plenty of money since it started , the land was not taken over as it built on government road not like MRt which costing due to drilling under tunnel.

Buy more machine please since many tourist que buying ticket in station like Chatuchak and Siam. Machine still not enough to serve the people demand.

I wonder what will happen with the combined BTS/MRT card. The MRT gives a 50% discount for those over 60, irrespective of natiobnality, but BTS does not give any discount. Anyone heard anything about this?

I'm wondering the same... I had a preference for the MRT before, but especially appreciated it after I turned 60 and found that I could get half off. Hopefully with the combined fare system, the more liberal policies concerning nationality by the MRT will prevail... But I've not seen anything on that topic...

I wonder what will happen with the combined BTS/MRT card. The MRT gives a 50% discount for those over 60, irrespective of natiobnality, but BTS does not give any discount. Anyone heard anything about this?

Doubt there will be any discounts as MRT/BTS are operated by different companies, revenue sharing will be difficult.

Doubt there will be any discounts as MRT/BTS are operated by different companies, revenue sharing will be difficult.

Pessimist. It may prompt BTS to do the decent thing.

Previously there had been talks of a flat rate of 20 baht and also a stored value card that would work between SRT BTS and MRT.. this has come and gone a few times. I believe the rabbit card ( subpar rip off of Japan's octopus card) may have been intended to link both but obviously that didn't pan out. Lame and frustrating. Really unfortunate for people on smaller incomes.

• 2 weeks later...

Pessimist. It may prompt BTS to do the decent thing.

Actually I'm optimistic about BTS giving senior discount if enough people demand it, but pessimistic about getting a discount if you use both system within a period of time frame.

Both are already higher than Singapore and on par with Korea and Japan. I find BTS pretty low quality, crowded experience.

Its not cheap by Thai standards.

BTS needs to get their act together and resolve peak travel time issues.

MRT is also often too crowded.

Both need to force Thais to put their phones away. Them pecking and flicking Facebook takes space of an addl passenger.

• Like 1