Aussie expat Mark Pendelbury granted bail in Phuket murder case

webfact

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason I am against people having.. knives and guns is simple.. give them a bit of alcohol or make them angry and they might come out and hurt other people with it. If they did not have a knive they would have used something less damaging. Sorry I still feel people with knives as idiots and endangering others.

Not everyone is totally under control always.. they snap they have a knife and before you know it you get stabbed.

If this guy was running away and got cornered pulled it out and then.. sure I can see this as self defense. However often just having a knife makes you stop and pull it out to use it when running would have been better.

So while it might be right in this case I am still against people with knives. (or guns).

So you and a lot of other posters are saying or implying that the expat community should not stick up for each other, and when an altercation arises, do not step in and help when might be clearly a sober person being set upon.

Your post is utterly out of sync and full of non truths about what happened.

Mr. Pendleton was not drunk. Read up on this. Use Google.

If expats should not step in and assist, then those Indian tourists would have stood there and watched as Mr. Pendleton got beat to death simply because, on his way home from the Rotary meeting, he saw an altercation and stepped over, across the street, to the footpath, on the very outside of the crowd perimeter to film it, and was singled out instantly

It is expats like you and the others who disgust me, that you would not assist an elderly person from these scum, even at the cost of injury or worse. You idiots laud the honorable and noble Thai security guard for dying as he ran to his girlfreind and got his head bashed in by the lunatic Russian at the Wat, but it is not OK for a man of noble character such as Mr. Pendleton to film something and then to protect himself as he tries to flee two times, and a third only because other foreigners stepped in to hold off the wild animals from further pursuit and further beating.

The hypocrisy is like a stench.

The thing that people are not taking into account here, is that when you are threatened with impending serious harm, like being stomped by six thugs, conscious thought goes out of the window and the survival instinct takes over.

Natures way of self-preservation.

...add to that the killing instinct that overcomes a Thai coward and his pack of jackals when they get a good scent of blood or the opportunity to let it. Conscious thought scratch that... emotions elevate to their highest form of bloodlust and racial hatred and their natural, cultural instinct takes over.

I have seen more than 10 times in my stay here, these street dogs get a man or woman, Thai or foreigner down on the ground and kick them in the face, skull, neck, chest, ribs, groin... even when the prey is clearly unconscious. It usually takes several of the ghouls watching to jump in and magnanimously begin to soothe their pack brothers down from their blood lust, and to try to get the red haze out of their eyes.

I know this sounds over the top, but believe me, if you've seen this once, much less more than 10 times, you will understand how I absolutely hate these guys and they deserve get anything they get when they behave this way.

To even remotaly compare Mr. Pendleton to any of these beasts is the highest form of insult and illustrates utter ignorance.

This is not directed at you, KarenBravo. It is simply that your legitimate thought struck a chord within me, from the things I have witnessed these animals do in the past, and I mean a literal, full-on face smashing beating, complete with blood spray at every kick inthe face... both male and female.

Regards... C.O.C.

Reason I am against people having.. knives and guns is simple.. give them a bit of alcohol or make them angry and they might come out and hurt other people with it. If they did not have a knive they would have used something less damaging. Sorry I still feel people with knives as idiots and endangering others.

Not everyone is totally under control always.. they snap they have a knife and before you know it you get stabbed.

If this guy was running away and got cornered pulled it out and then.. sure I can see this as self defense. However often just having a knife makes you stop and pull it out to use it when running would have been better.

So while it might be right in this case I am still against people with knives. (or guns).

So you and a lot of other posters are saying or implying that the expat community should not stick up for each other, and when an altercation arises, do not step in and help when might be clearly a sober person being set upon.

If expats should not step in and assist, then those Indian tourists would have stood there and watched as Mr. Pendleton got beat to death simply because, on his way home from the Rotary meeting, he saw an altercation and stepped over, across the street, to the footpath, on the very outside of the crowd perimeter to film it, and was singled out instantly

It is expats like you and the others who disgust me, that you would not assist an elderly person from these scum, even at the cost of injury or worse. You idiots laud the honorable and noble Thai security guard for dying as he ran to his girlfreind and got his head bashed in by the lunatic Russian at the Wat, but it is not OK for a man of noble character such as Mr. Pendleton to film something and then to protect himself as he tries to flee two times, and a third only because other foreigners stepped in to hold off the wild animals from further pursuit and further beating.

You're reading things that have not been said. What is new here.

There is no expat community, it is not 'us against them' as you're implying. It is fellow humans that look after one another, no matter where they're from.

the alleged knife looks like a bottle opener to me

the defendant tried to defend himself with a bottle opener

case closed

Whether I kill you with a letter opener or a machete, you'll still be dead and I'll still be a murderer. People kill one another in prison with sharpened toothbrush handles - would you like to have those cases closed too ?

Hopefully the Thais have a slightly better understanding of concealed weapons than you've displayed here, and hopefully someone will come forward with video evidence of the Thais allegedly attacking Mark. That grainy CCTV footage is useless, IMO, but it does seem to show Mark making the crucial mistake of crossing the street and putting himself in harm's way : that's the point where we need to see decent video not the news mishmash which has been posted here.

You forget about the Indian tourists who stepped in and more than likely made statements, and all thos tourists on the other side of the street, as well as Mr. Pendleton's friend in his wheelchair on the other side of the street,whom Mr. Pendleton was accompanying home from the Rotary meeting that night... but we can only presume that, as details in a case like this are closed door until it reaches the Prosecutor and he can discuss it with the police and the judge assigned to the case.

Were the 2 guys being ejected expats? Or just dumb tourists with too much beer in their belly acting the fool?

Mark had no idea of knowing who they were or why they were ejected? So why take the chance and cross the road into harms way? It wasn't his business.

Personally, I have seen too many dumbass tourists who deserve a beating acting the fool....especially in Taipan, which is predominantly a tourist hotspot at that time of night.

The 2 guys were probably just being ejected and would have taken a smack or 2 and sent on their way...

Mark is just making up stories to rationalize his stupidity.

Mark Pendleburry protected himself from death in an obvious assault on his life. Robbloc you are an idiot and come from a country where self defense is no longer acceptable. The most Mr. Pendleburry should be charged with is concealing a weapon. On public streets and chased down by six thugs more than proves the point. As the bible says the meek shall inherit the earth proves the point Robbloc.

Sounds like the Rev. bassman doesn't know what he's preaching about.

As a long time resident, he should have known that violence here is sudden, random and can often turn on innocent bystanders.

But for whatever reason, he wanted to take pictures or video of feral "bouncers" ejecting some tourists. Why? To liven up his Facebook page.

Anyone who has been here a while should have known to just keep walking and not cross the street to get a better view of trouble.

What he legally in the right? Yes. But anyone with any "Thai sense" should know better. Avoid, avoid, avoid. It's not worth taking some biffo, or possibly hurting someone in "self defense" as it appears in this case.

I'm glad he is out on bail.

I am extremely glad, and I am certain that Mr. Pendleton is extremely glad that those Indian tourist did not heed your noble and chivalrous advice and avoid avoid avoid when the rabid jackals were beating Mr. Pendleton to death.

'

Edited by LivinginKata
Phuketwan quote removed

As a long time resident, he should have known that violence here is sudden, random and can often turn on innocent bystanders.

But for whatever reason, he wanted to take pictures or video of feral "bouncers" ejecting some tourists. Why? To liven up his Facebook page.

Anyone who has been here a while should have known to just keep walking and not cross the street to get a better view of trouble.

What he legally in the right? Yes. But anyone with any "Thai sense" should know better. Avoid, avoid, avoid. It's not worth taking some biffo, or possibly hurting someone in "self defense" as it appears in this case.

To give you a bit of background information that will answer your question as to why he was filming. A few months ago a handicapped man in a wheelchair was set upon by 6 locals in Patong and the result was said victim "Fred" was in the hospital for two months after this brutal attack.

Mark the Aussie was planning on taking Fred out for a sail on Thursday after attending a rotary meeting together and which just so happened Mark took Fred home after the meeting. Upon dropping off Fred, Mark witnessed two tourists being assaulted outside of Taipan, and knowing what happened to Fred, he wanted to document the abuse and assault of these tourists getting beaten up by these Thai thugs. He said he conscious wouldn't allow him to stand by and do nothing.

At least the above is what he told a local news website.

here and here

Utterly savage!

I am extremely glad, and I am certain that Mr. Pendleton is extremely glad that those Indian tourist did not heed your noble and chivalrous advice and avoid avoid avoid when the rabid jackals were beating Mr. Pendleton to death.

Mark put himself in that position by his own stupidity.

Had he kept walking none of this would have happened, the 2 tourists would have gone elsewhere and a Bouncer would still be alive.

You are reaching now.

You're reading things that have not been said. What is new here.

There is no expat community, it is not 'us against them' as you're implying. It is fellow humans that look after one another, no matter where they're from.

"The expat is highly regarded within the community, one of his friends told news.com.au. As well as running his sailing tour business since 2004, he is involved with local charity and was on his way home from attending a Rotary meeting when he became involved in the fatal altercation."

"A fellow Rotary club member described Mark to news.com.au as “a very good guy”, and said he had lots of support in the local expat community."

-----------------------

You still here, stevenl? I thought you don't like to involve yourself in altercations, and would rather instead walk away. Isn't that what you are doing with me? Picking a fight by accusing me rudely and with ill-temper from your keyboard? What does that make of you?

Life can be confusing at time, can't it?

Had he kept walking none of this would have happened, the 2 tourists would have gone elsewhere and a Bouncer would still be alive.

You are reaching now.

I am going to step and defend Mark. He had recent knowledge of a savage beating of that disabled Dane who got no justice from the police/judicial system. I guess that was in his mind when he saw another possible beating. He was on a public road, he had not even stepped on the public walkway, he took off sharpish when challenged.

Was he stupid - no. Was he unwise crossing the road - yes.

Were the 2 guys being ejected expats? Or just dumb tourists with too much beer in their belly acting the fool?

Mark had no idea of knowing who they were or why they were ejected? So why take the chance and cross the road into harms way? It wasn't his business.

Personally, I have seen too many dumbass tourists who deserve a beating acting the fool....especially in Taipan, which is predominantly a tourist hotspot at that time of night.

The 2 guys were probably just being ejected and would have taken a smack or 2 and sent on their way...

Mark is just making up stories to rationalize his stupidity.

So you presume tourists are dumb at face value. You presume they had too much beer in htier belly, and that constitutes a beating. You presume to know what Mark knew and what his ideas were.

You then regale us with your wisdom based on what you have seen, and I submit... presumed, when you saw it, and then judge that they were dumbasses and deserved it.

You presume the two guys were being ejected and had a good couple of smacks coming before being sent on their way.

You presujme Mark is making up a story and that he is dillusional and stupid.

Thank you for making that clear, and I apologize if I am in err in my understanding of your views.

You are reaching now.

Not reaching, other than in your view and opinion, and that is your right. I reserve my right to have my own, just as Mr. Pendleton reserved his right to have his... to walk to the fringe of an altercation before being set upon by a pack of dogs. Bouncer my ass. More like a piece of dung that finally got stepped on.

Regards

You are reaching now.

Not reaching, other than in your view and opinion, and that is your right. I reserve my right to have my own, just as Mr. Pendleton reserved his right to have his... to walk to the fringe of an altercation before being set upon by a pack of dogs. Bouncer my ass. More like a piece of dung that finally got stepped on.

Regards

And please tell us, what good did Mark actually do?

I hope he gets off the murder charge, as despite him bringing this on himself, he didn't deserve to be chased and beaten, forcing him to defend himself with a knife.

But, the point is, he had no business getting "involved" in the first place.

Had he kept walking, he would have been home in bed at 1am, the tourists probably would have been in Hollywood by 12.45am and a Bouncer would still be alive.

It really quite simple...

Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed

i don't think u have adequate intellectual hp to comprehend the big picture. Forget minor irrelevant details. A young man's life (bread winner as u put it) was unnecessarily terminated as a result of a foolish act by a fool. The guy was doing his job. Had it not been for the old guy's arrogance (im better than u how dare u tell me what to do) attitude he would not be looking over his shoulder waiting to be hit by stranger. In fact he'll regret getting out on bail (unless he has a plan to flea ASAP) as the safest place for him now is in a cell with guards watching. I know a little more about this than letting out. Watch this space. [emoji12]

An awful lot of assumptions for someone who wasn't there and hasn't seen any definitive video of the incident. Let's leave this one to the courts, chief - you and I can trade keystrokes until the TV servers explode but it wont change the outcome one iota.

I hope he gets off the murder charge, as despite him bringing this on himself, he didn't deserve to be chased and beaten, forcing him to defend himself with a knife.

Had he kept walking, he would have been home in bed at 1am, the tourists probably would have been in Hollywood by 12.45am and a Bouncer would still be alive.

Ahh I get it. IF he wasn't in Thailand none of this would have happened so it must be his fault.

It's also quite simple that if a thug hadn't chased a man and illegally beat him for doing nothing then he would still be alive.

Ahh I get it. IF he wasn't in Thailand none of this would have happened so it must be his fault.

It's also quite simple that if a thug hadn't chased a man and illegally beat him for doing nothing then he would still be alive.

...and what good did the Good Samaritan Mark do again to help these 2 helpless guys being ejected from a bar?

Exactly Newbie. Nothing.

Sugar coat it all you like. Bottom line is he's a murderer. The only reason he got bail was he had $$$. Look forward to his punishment either by law the victims mates which I believe will be the latter. Wait for the headline.

Well in your case I hope that there is Karma and you sow what you reap!!

Protecting yourself with the only thing you have (a bottle opener with a knife attached) in order to survive a gang attack ¨provoked¨ by videoing a wrong doing in the hope of establishing some fairness in a corrupt land whose people either prefer to ignore or just violate the rules designed to protect the majority and then accusing him of bribery because he has got bail for a none case because the letter of the law needs him to prove his innocence.

I find this absolutely reprehensible !!!

As I said in an earlier post, ¨The only thing to allow evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing¨

I suppose you thought Schindler was an idiot too and you wolud have turned a blind eye to what was going on around you? (if you had been around at that time.....).

Defending yourself and attempting to do the right thing while not breaking any laws (as the ones being videoed were probably doing, after all why make a big issue of being videoed if you are doing nothing wrong ?) does not make a murderer any more than a police man or soldier fighting to defend the way of life and the rights most people are either living or striving to live.

It was only "harms way" because he was attacked by a pack of rabid dogs. Crossing a public street and taking a video in a public street is still legal. Attacking a person in a dog-pack is not.

No it bloody well wasnt only because he was attacked by said pack - the initial report claimed he was filming a fight between an Indian and a Frenchman, the later report claims those two were being ejected from the bar by your rabid pack - in either case, he walked straight into some very fired up people and started taking video from directly in front of the entrance, with the name of the bar presumably within the field of his camera. That's speculation on my part, but what little I CAN discern from that grainy CCTV footage is that the front of that bar was a melee before Mark decided to cross the road. Whatever concern he had for his friend should have remained with his friend - we all know the security staff are animals, and no amount of Youtube videos will change that.

I'm sorry, but from where I'm sitting a 59 year old with 10 years in Thailand and a family to support should have put his own hide ahead of the fate of two men who - unless I missed something in the original report - were not seriously injured. No way of knowing how that would have panned out if he hadnt intervened, but how many times have we read about a Good Samaritan becoming the victim in Thailand ? Short of a friend or relative being attacked, I will just keep walking here or in any other city you care to name : the odds are always on the locals side and sadly that's compounded by the Thai justice system. I wish Mark every success in his defence, but I stand by what I said - he made a fundamental error of judgement and it has cost him dearly.

Your quote :

¨I'm sorry, but from where I'm sitting a 59 year old with 10 years in Thailand and a family to support should have put his own hide ahead of the fate of two men¨

But unlike yourself he put others before himself, regardless of the consequences !!\

It seems to me that you never learned the difference between right and wrong or fair play when you were growing up !! I feel sorry for you.....

Whether you like it or not, the current government has done less for this country lately than Facebook and public opinion (along with the face loss).

Sugar coat it all you like. Bottom line is he's a murderer. The only reason he got bail was he had $$$. Look forward to his punishment either by law the victims mates which I believe will be the latter. Wait for the headline.

No sugarcoating - its either self-defense, manslaughter or murder and thankfully that's for the courts to decide. As for your 'looking forward' to payback from the Thais, thats as despicable as 'the Thais have had it coming' rants earlier in this thread. Two families minus a breadwinner and you're engaging in some bizarre payback fantasy ? Please.

i don't think u have adequate intellectual hp to comprehend the big picture. Forget minor irrelevant details. A young man's life (bread winner as u put it) was unnecessarily terminated as a result of a foolish act by a fool. The guy was doing his job. Had it not been for the old guy's arrogance (im better than u how dare u tell me what to do) attitude he would not be looking over his shoulder waiting to be hit by stranger. In fact he'll regret getting out on bail (unless he has a plan to flea ASAP) as the safest place for him now is in a cell with guards watching. I know a little more about this than letting out. Watch this space. [emoji12]

YOUR QUOTE :¨

¨A young man's life (bread winner as u put it) was unnecessarily terminated as a result of a foolish act by a fool.¨

I agree the Thai 25 year old was a fool, he bit off more than he could chew despite his animalistic and safety in a pack mentality and behaviour.

I would love to see you in a similar position and see if you still believe that defending yourself by the only means available (a bottle opener with a knife blade attached) would deem you a fool!!

I am watching this space to see what it is (facts not speculation or assumption) that you know that the rest of us don´t !!

...and what good did the Good Samaritan Mark do again to help these 2 helpless guys being ejected from a bar?

Exactly Newbie. Nothing.

Well going by the reactions of the thugs to him filming the event he probably saved them being savagely beaten. If his filming was doing nothing then why did they turn on him? But what does it matter, he was doing nothing wrong and was set upon by thugs and protected himself.

Protecting yourself with the only thing you have (a bottle opener with a knife attached) in order to survive a gang attack ¨provoked¨ by videoing a wrong doing in the hope of establishing some fairness in a corrupt land whose people either prefer to ignore or just violate the rules designed to protect the majority and then accusing him of bribery because he has got bail for a none case because the letter of the law needs him to prove his innocence.

As I said in an earlier post, ¨The only thing to allow evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing¨

I suppose you thought Schindler was an idiot too and you wolud have turned a blind eye to what was going on around you? (if you had been around at that time.....).

Defending yourself and attempting to do the right thing while not breaking any laws (as the ones being videoed were probably doing, after all why make a big issue of being videoed if you are doing nothing wrong ?) does not make a murderer any more than a police man or soldier fighting to defend the way of life and the rights most people are either living or striving to live.

nonesense and irrelevant. Self defense using lethal weapons in public places is not on. At home fair enough. Smart people stay away from trouble and not tackle it head on. Evil flourish? Lol. Security guard doing his job vs an idiot swinging knife. Who's the evil? U silly man. Lol

I think that very recently on this forum it was stated that you cannot even defend yourself with a weapon considered greater than that with which you are attacked. If the security guard did not have a knife, or something considered stronger, then the aussie might well have a problem whether morally in the right or not.

nonesense and irrelevant. Self defense using lethal weapons in public places is not on. At home fair enough. Smart people stay away from trouble and not tackle it head on. Evil flourish? Lol. Security guard doing his job vs an idiot swinging knife. Who's the evil? U silly man. Lol

What kind of glue are you on? Doing his job? Chasing after a person filming out in public and instigating an ass whooping is doing his job? Seriously?

I am no gung ho fighter. I have used my brain (some people are gifted with one) and it has never failed me so far. You probably have had a few hits to the head in your time as I clearly stated that in this situation it might have been justified. I am against knives being carried by the general public and have given my reasons.

I have taken no stand in this case.. just as a general thing.. using and bringing knives is stupid.. think this case demonstrated it clearly. He is in a lot of trouble now and someone died, but who knows he might have been dead if no knife.. but that is something we both can't prove.

As for helping others, I never said I would not help others only I would not use weapons to feel Rambo. I guess a lot of insecure weak people here that need to be tooled up. I would certainly not step into any situation as you don't know who is the good or the bad guy. I would also first try to get professionals to help instead of doing it all myself.