avoiding gettin sick

Badman22

this will be my 6th or 7th trip to thailand, nearly every single time ive visited at one point ive managed to get sick at some point, i put it down to the foods . got to the point were i was only eating stuff with use by dates in 7/11 . what should i avoid ? any tips ? r frozen meals in 7/11 all good ? cheers

Tourists getting the runs, maybe a stomach ache, is usually caused by a multitude of factors:

- different food than they're used to

-the hot climate

- not drinking enough fluids

- tourists being too active, when it is 35 centigrade in your home town you are not going to walk around the whole day.

- maybe getting in the holiday mood and drinking beer every day

Mostly food in Thailand, also at street stalls, is freshly prepared and clean.

• Like 1

Tourists getting the runs, maybe a stomach ache, is usually caused by a multitude of factors:

- different food than they're used to

-the hot climate

- not drinking enough fluids

- tourists being too active, when it is 35 centigrade in your home town you are not going to walk around the whole day.

- maybe getting in the holiday mood and drinking beer every day

Mostly food in Thailand, also at street stalls, is freshly prepared and clean.

'- different food than they're used to"

After living overseas for 40 years, I had the same problem when making short visits to the US. It wasn't because there was any problem with the food and especially the water in the US, but it was just a change from what my stomach was accustomed to.

Bring along some Pepto Bismol or buy some Gastro Bismol in Thailand and some Disento for more prolonged loose bowel issues. Drink only bottled water or soft drinks. For people who are here only for short periods, probably best to avoid street vendors. There's nothing wrong (generally) with their food, but it's bound to cause some disruption to your intestinal flora.

I was sick a few times when I first moved here, I suspect it was the drinking water. I now drink beer. Keestha mentioned that street food is 'clean'. No it isn't. I'm sure the guys go somewhere for a pee but you can be sure that they can't wash their hands there. You will not see running water available to clean dishes. You will see a plastic tub with water that has been used all day and a filthy rag to give the illusion of cleanliness. I only eat freshly fried chicken and freshly cooked rice now and even then I try to make sure that the chicken hasn't been lying around in the sun all day.

Better still, I take some bread, salami, tomatoes and onion with me when I travel.

Since you are getting sick it is only going to be food and drink

Drink bottled water or anything else bottled , no ICE as it is often made with just tap water

Eat at 7-11 or go to the store and buy some bread and make sandwiches,

it is probably OK to eat at big food courts like Terminal 21

buy Imodium before you leave (Walmart etc has generic imodium) and use it every day or 2 ......

I also have a weak stomach and would rather not eat street food then hug my toilet in the hotel !

I know people eat off street stalls everyday , good for them,

I am not a foodie anyway and am happy with a peanut butter sandwich !

Drink bottled water or anything else bottled , no ICE as it is often made with just tap water

Beg to differ. Thai people never drink tap water, and I don't think they often produce ice using tap water. There is one popular travel guide which warns about ice cubes, I don't think this is correct.

On another note, tourists fall ill often enough after eating seafood. The fish, prawns or whatever lays on display outside on ice, and if unsold might go back into the fridge to be put on display outside again the next day. When tourists ask me where to go for seafood, I always tell them to go to the fullest restaurant

avoid 7/11

avoid cheap food near the street.

avoid everything that isn't cooked and served boiling hot.

Some people are more resistant, some are more sensitive.

Usually ice should be save. But I saw on island to use the ice first for cooling things and later the same ice for the drinks.

Avoid drinking beer or too much of anything with the food.

A small strong coffee or alcohol helps the production of acid in the stomach, which is a protection against infection (not a 100 % protection, just a little help).