Thai restaurant in Chiang Mai

Nervosa

Hi,

I'm looking for a good Thai restaurant in Chiang Mai.

Many people will tell me just look behind you.

BUT..I'm looking for a Thai restaurant that doesn't serve the same stupid (excuse my french) food like EVERYWHERE. Same menu and same way of cooking.

I'm looking for something new. With new style and new ingredients. I don't really care for the price and it can be outside the city too.

When I said "restaurant", I talk about any place for eating, near the street, near river, maybe even in a Hotel IF it really worth it.

What I care the most is the taste and the originality. I wan't to be surprised.

So far (4 years) the best place I've been, In Chiang Mai of course, was a Isaan restaurant 2 Km from Chiang Mai. Isaan people are the best cook in Thailand, in my opinion.

Many place are good too, but they are just the same. You pay 35 baht in the street or 150 Baht in a nice restaurant near the river, it is just taste same.

So, I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks you.

Edited by Nervosa

You ask for generic Thai food, but dont want it to be same like everywhere ?? Not sure I get your request..

I enjoy Phuket seafood (or is it andaman ??) On Canal Rd North heading to the convention center.. Good seafood, and dishes often subtly southern, more coconut, more fresh rather than dried chillis.. The tom yum nam khon is just how I like it and beats the northern watery nam sai style with dried chillies hands down for me. Mud Crabs and yellow curry etc.. Not cheap perhaps, its seafood a long way from the sea..

Northern Lanna Thai ?? Just past Payap entrance on middle ring Rd.. Past the kink in the rd and in the large wooden building in the retail estate (star mall ??) does some excellent norther gaengs, fish, somtams, purple sticky rice with beans, really good balance of flavors.. Pictures of royals and Thai stars adorn the wall, So I guess this is an established operator who moved to this huge building to try to grow. Also adjoining next door is an interesting Laos food place, with some kind of fusions dishes (salmon somtam etc) which was really fresh tasting saldy selection. Cant quite tell if this is 2 cuisines same operator.

In fact for northern geangs, really cheap and great little place on mahidol Rd heading into town, past the college there and before the Lamphun rd.. Look for an octagonal / round looking building with parking under the trees.. Great taste and sets of rice curry and a drink at like 89b etc..

Without knowing really what you mean, those are 3 instant, less than usual fare, Thai eateries around.

Edited by LivinLOS

Sorry, mate...you are in Chiang mai, and the last time I looked that's in Thailand!

The restaurants in Chiang mai - from street barrows to 5 star - serve Thai food, cooked and served as eaten by the Chiang mai Thai people!

If you want different, you might need to try a different city...province...or country!

oh...and not sure about different, but if you want good quality cooking....watch the restaurants and check out where the Thais go to eat. If it's full, the food will be good!

Hello Nervosa,

Google: Nasi Jumpru. Is a bit out of town on the 1317. Google will show you the precise location. Very good food, each plate made by an artist it seems. Price about 3 to 4 times normal but it is something different.

Good luck

R'tje

That looks good..

Thanks.

Has anyone been to Deck1, that abortion of the Riverside? Never see anyone in there other than festivals and holidays.

Two years ago at Songkhran I was with a friend from BKK (noted Thai photographer) and her friends. Deck1 wanted 1000 baht/person just to sit down.

We were allowed to look around and they promised some great food by top chefs, but nobody was interested, too dear. We got in to GoodView after a short wait.

Hello Nervosa,

Google: Nasi Jumpru. Is a bit out of town on the 1317. Google will show you the precise location. Very good food, each plate made by an artist it seems. Price about 3 to 4 times normal but it is something different.

Good luck

R'tje

Thanks you for the suggestion. It kinda look like a fusion cuisine from Thailand and Indonesia. Look good.

Sorry, mate...you are in Chiang mai, and the last time I looked that's in Thailand!

The restaurants in Chiang mai - from street barrows to 5 star - serve Thai food, cooked and served as eaten by the Chiang mai Thai people!

If you want different, you might need to try a different city...province...or country!

Thanks for trying I guess, dear god I hate people on Internet.

You ask for generic Thai food, but dont want it to be same like everywhere ?? Not sure I get your request..

I enjoy Phuket seafood (or is it andaman ??) On Canal Rd North heading to the convention center.. Good seafood, and dishes often subtly southern, more coconut, more fresh rather than dried chillis.. The tom yum nam khon is just how I like it and beats the northern watery nam sai style with dried chillies hands down for me. Mud Crabs and yellow curry etc.. Not cheap perhaps, its seafood a long way from the sea..

Northern Lanna Thai ?? Just past Payap entrance on middle ring Rd.. Past the kink in the rd and in the large wooden building in the retail estate (star mall ??) does some excellent norther gaengs, fish, somtams, purple sticky rice with beans, really good balance of flavors.. Pictures of royals and Thai stars adorn the wall, So I guess this is an established operator who moved to this huge building to try to grow. Also adjoining next door is an interesting Laos food place, with some kind of fusions dishes (salmon somtam etc) which was really fresh tasting saldy selection. Cant quite tell if this is 2 cuisines same operator.

In fact for northern geangs, really cheap and great little place on mahidol Rd heading into town, past the college there and before the Lamphun rd.. Look for an octagonal / round looking building with parking under the trees.. Great taste and sets of rice curry and a drink at like 89b etc..

Without knowing really what you mean, those are 3 instant, less than usual fare, Thai eateries around.

"Without knowing really what you mean.." . I think I cannot be more clear. Just a Thai food restaurant that actually worth eating there. Not just a place where you pay 30 Baht only to full your belly or pay 150 baht for the same dishe only because you seat near a river. But something that make your mouth and tongue dance.

But thanks you for the suggestions. I'm pretty sure I've been to that seafood restaurant and the Northern Lanna Thai before. I love seafood alot. If you know another good place where they cook good Thai style seafood, I'm open.

Is Nasi Jumpru a Thai restaurant. I ate there when it was at a different location and as I recall, it was fusion food with a strong Indonesian influence.

If you want to go to a place that serves authentic northern thai food try Phet Doi Ngam. Here are the GPS coordinates: 18.762246, 98.994436

Thanks for the suggestion. I would love to eat a Northern Thai food restaurant that is actually good. I've tried many of them and most of the time, the taste doesn't worth the price. This place seem to have good criticism.

Looks like they also have a branch at The Harbor (Huay Kaew).

Has anyone tried both places? And if so, is it worth going the extra 20 kilometers for the original one versus staying in town and going with The Harbor?

As for Phuket Seafood, I assume they get fresh seafood flown in, so everything is fresh? Presumably one of the advantages of the increased airport activity (seafood piggybacking on commercial flights).

Damn, I hate being hated by people on the Internet...but like the others, I was just trying to offer some light-hearted advice...which was obviously mis-construed...

In the Chiang mai area, you have a mix of people from all over Thailand. You also have a huge mix of small restaurants serving them - doing Bangkok style, Chiang Mai style, Issan, Lanna, Mae Hong Son, southern seafood, etc.

A lot of these smaller places DON'T carry signage in English, as they cater primarily for regular Thai patrons. I'd suggest, therefore, that if you speak any Thai, ask the local people (from different provinces) where they like to eat. Better still, invite them to go with you!

Happy hunting....

Has anyone been to Deck1, that abortion of the Riverside? Never see anyone in there other than festivals and holidays.

Two years ago at Songkhran I was with a friend from BKK (noted Thai photographer) and her friends. Deck1 wanted 1000 baht/person just to sit down.

We were allowed to look around and they promised some great food by top chefs, but nobody was interested, too dear. We got in to GoodView after a short wait.

Yes, the service was rubbish and the food was awful and cold.

We paid the bill and left and then had some witless waitress chasing us down the road because she didn't see us pay the bill.

Never again.

"Without knowing really what you mean.." . I think I cannot be more clear. Just a Thai food restaurant that actually worth eating there. Not just a place where you pay 30 Baht only to full your belly or pay 150 baht for the same dishe only because you seat near a river.

I'm looking for a good Thai restaurant in Chiang Mai.

Many people will tell me just look behind you.

BUT..I'm looking for a Thai restaurant that doesn't serve the same stupid (excuse my french) food like EVERYWHERE. Same menu and same way of cooking.

I'm looking for something new. With new style and new ingredients. I don't really care for the price and it can be outside the city too.

Theres so much Thai food, in every direction, in every style.. Many many of them 'worth eating there'..

Its like you want Thai food, but not "the same food like everywhere".. But not fusion, not ?? I dont know..

If you dont mean in regionality, or seafood, then its really unsure what to suggest.. Theres just so much.

A lot of these smaller places DON'T carry signage in English, as they cater primarily for regular Thai patrons. I'd suggest, therefore, that if you speak any Thai, ask the local people (from different provinces) where they like to eat. Better still, invite them to go with you!

Noodle soup seems to be the favorite here, probably followed by the “all you can eat” barbecue. So I’m not sure how much value there is in asking a local, as most probably buy their food at the market, or eat at the average street kitchen, and would have little knowledge about Thai restaurants that would make a westerner’s “mouth and tongue dance”.

The few times I have conversed with locals about good places to eat they ask what I seek, and then point me to the nearest place that serves that.

Anyway, my recommendation would be the TianZi Tea House, which have some great tasting (vegetarian) dishes, though maybe more Chinese than Thai.

Secondly, to check out the food at the markets, some good stuff can be found there, though a bit of a challenge if you do not speak Thai, and even with decent Thai, it requires some trial and error, to find the good vendors/cooks.

When I fancy Thai food that is different from standard central Thai or Issan fare, I go for Chiangmai style food. Theres the always packed one in Nimmen with the small BBQ at the front. I But be prepared to queue.. an hour is usual most evenings. Never had a bad meal there. However, recently been introduced by local born Lanna Thais to what many see as the best "chiangmai food" place in the area. Its called Huaeng Jai Young in San Kamphaeng. I can't argue with them. Nice traditional garden setting surrounded by an art gallery. Not ostentatious or expensive. Clean, friendly and well presented. Have tried lots of new stuff, all delicious. Its not very "Thai" in the usual 5 tastes sense. Not spicy at all but packed full of wonderful jungle herbs. Great foody place. Been a few times for lunch and usually quite full despite its out of the way location. Not a ferang or foreign tourist in sight when I've been, but quite a few Bangkok tourists.

Gets rave reviews by Thais in Wongnai website. Well worth a trip there.

oh...and not sure about different, but if you want good quality cooking....watch the restaurants and check out where the Thais go to eat. If it's full, the food will be good!

If it is full, the food will be good.... In Bangkok yes, but In Chiang Mai it could just mean that it is cheap :-(

• Like 1

I can recommend Hot Chilli on Ratchadamnoen road, just past Wawee Coffee travelling from Tha Phae Gate, where I have eaten many times when in Chiang Mai. It has a great atmosphere, interestingly decor and has an eclectic menu. It is also very popular and I no seats have been available on a couple of my visits.

• Like 1

So many places with good food don't even have a name, small places, table and a few chairs, like so many of the food stalls that do good business on Suthep Rd between Irrigation Canal and Uni back gate.

Full each evening with students voting with their feet.

john

• Like 1

would be nice if you disclose the names.....?