'No rejection' sign to be put on taxis

Lite Beer

'No rejection' sign to be put on taxis
By Coconuts Bangkok March 13, 2015 / 14:51 ICT

taxi_reject_sign.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Seriously, why did nobody ever think of this?

What better way to prevent taxis from rudely rejecting passengers on sight or as soon as they mention their destination than to post a sign indicating they won’t do that.

Signs reading "Go everywhere, no rejection! (Network of Thai Taxi Drivers with the Heart of Development)" also doubles as a pink sunshade and will be distributed via different taxi driver communities in a move to encourage taxis to not reject passengers, the action which is technically illegal yet very common.

Read More: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/13/no-rejection-sign-be-put-taxis

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-03-13

I've been rejected by taxis many times, I think it's their right to do so. Yes it can be annoying, but why should they be forced to take people against their own discretion? After all it may be a public access service but it is provided by a private party.

Govt launches 'no refusal' taxi campaign
THE NATION March 14, 2015 1:00 am

30256001-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A GOVERNMENT campaign encouraging taxi drivers to not reject passengers kicked off yesterday with 100 cabbies participating.

The campaign also aims to promote better service and to deal with issues like drivers dressing improperly, refusing to use the meter or illegally adjusting the meter to bump up the fare, First Army Area chief Lt-General Kampanart Ruddit said.

The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has decided to start reorganising the taxi service and other commuter transport services such as vans and motorcycle taxis. It is also reorganising taxi and commuter van services at airports and passenger terminals across the country.

Kampanart said these services were important to the country's image and the tourism industry, as well as an indicator of travellers' satisfaction.

In his capacity as chief of NCPO's security and order force, Kampanart presided over a ceremony at the First Army Area headquarters in Bangkok yesterday. The first 100 taxis participating in the scheme will be displaying a sign saying "Going Everywhere, Not Denying Service" on their side windows.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Govt-launches-no-refusal-taxi-campaign-30256001.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-14

Bangkok:- The problem of Thai taxi drivers saying “No” to passengers has gone so serious that relevant agencies launch another campaign to fight the illegal but widespread practice.
On Friday, the Transport Ministry, the Traffic Police Division, several taxi cooperatives and allies installed side window shades reading “We are ready to take you to any destination. We don’t say No” in 100 taxi cabs.
Observing the installation, First Army Area’s chief Lt General Kampanart Ruddit explained that taxi services were important to Thailand’s image.
“If our taxi services are good, the country will look good too,” he said.
It is against Thai laws for taxi drivers to reject a passenger. This offence is punishable by a fine of up to Bt1,000. However, it is so common for Thai passengers to get rejected especially in areas with a lot of foreign tourists such as the zones around the Emerald Buddha Temple or the Grand Palace. Foreigners often say that they are charged not by the meter, but by the fare taxi drivers have asked.
Of the more than 1,000 complaints filed against taxi drivers every month on average, most of them involve refusing passengers, according to Department of Land Transport.
Just last month, the department launched the DLT check-in application for smart-phone users to rate taxi services and file complaints.
According to the department’s deputy director general Chirute Visalachitra, while the number of complaints about the taxi drivers refusing passengers has dropped, it remains high.
thaivisa-news.png.pagespeed.ce.ASDmYCLRp
-- © thaivisa.com

"We love farang!", "We speak english!", “We are ready to take you to any destination. We don’t say No”

I am sure, this will be followed up by actions accordingly and 100% ... coffee1.gif

I can't count the number of times per day I see folks get rejected by taxis. I know around a 1000 complaints per month mentioned in above post may sound like a lot, but that's only around 33 a day. Hey, 33 a day is probably pretty close to the number of rejections I see daily in my daily travels. Until Thais start complaining "more" and the police start running widespread sting operations daily versus their occasional publicity stunt nothing will change.

Isn't this just in line with the Thai way? Say and do things to great public fanfare, gaining face, posting to Instagram, etc. - then do the complete opposite later, when you can't be held accountable. Par for the course.

Oh to have taxis to reject us in the first place....

In Chiang Mai it appears that the tuk tuks and dirty old red buses have it all sown up. There are NO taxis to flag down in Chiang Mai. You can only get them by booking (and paying a call out fee). It is my understanding that were they to just pick people up on the street they would be in big trouble from THE BOYS!

...and they wonder why people drink and drive. We would love taxis with meters on the streets. I can even suffer the occasional rejection to avoid haggling ridiculous prices with tuk tuk drivers at 1 in the morning - regularly asking for 300 Baht for a journey that would be 70 Baht in a metered Bangkok taxi! B'stards....

• Like 2

I've been rejected by taxis many times, I think it's their right to do so. Yes it can be annoying, but why should they be forced to take people against their own discretion? After all it may be a public access service but it is provided by a private party.

No, it's not their right, it's against the law. Simple as that.

• Like 1

What a joke. I was rejected on Sukhumvit Rd yesterday, it's got to the point I don't even bother to hail a taxi on that road any more I get a sky train to my nearest destination to where I want to go and then get a cab.

I think you need to visit some other countries (excluding North African countries) and you will change your mind. The reason I exclude North Africa is because Thailand and North Africa are Same Same. Does that make you proud?

Then the law is dumb.

A taxi should have the right to refuse a passenger in many circumstances, but not for refusal to use the meter. eg the passenger wants to go from Pattaya to Bangkok when he only has 30 minutes of his shift left, the passenger is drunk, smelly or obnoxious etc etc

It is not their right it is their JOB!!! They are taxi's they are meant to take you where YOU want to go not where they want to go. As other posters have already said. It is the law!! What part of that don't you understand???

• Like 1

Bangkok:- The problem of Thai taxi drivers saying “No” to passengers has gone so serious that relevant agencies launch another campaign to fight the illegal but widespread practice.
On Friday, the Transport Ministry, the Traffic Police Division, several taxi cooperatives and allies installed side window shades reading “We are ready to take you to any destination. We don’t say No” in 100 taxi cabs.
Observing the installation, First Army Area’s chief Lt General Kampanart Ruddit explained that taxi services were important to Thailand’s image.
“If our taxi services are good, the country will look good too,” he said.
It is against Thai laws for taxi drivers to reject a passenger. This offence is punishable by a fine of up to Bt1,000. However, it is so common for Thai passengers to get rejected especially in areas with a lot of foreign tourists such as the zones around the Emerald Buddha Temple or the Grand Palace. Foreigners often say that they are charged not by the meter, but by the fare taxi drivers have asked.
Of the more than 1,000 complaints filed against taxi drivers every month on average, most of them involve refusing passengers, according to Department of Land Transport.
Just last month, the department launched the DLT check-in application for smart-phone users to rate taxi services and file complaints.
According to the department’s deputy director general Chirute Visalachitra, while the number of complaints about the taxi drivers refusing passengers has dropped, it remains high.
thaivisa-news.png.pagespeed.ce.ASDmYCLRp

-- © thaivisa.com

"it is so common for Thai passengers to get rejected especially in areas with a lot of foreign tourists such as the zones around the Emerald Buddha Temple or the Grand Palace. Foreigners often say that they are charged not by the meter, but by the fare taxi drivers have asked."

Then the root of the problem is taxi drivers not using the meter to overcharge certain passengers, but hey, why address the root of the problem?

It is not their right it is their JOB!!! They are taxi's they are meant to take you where YOU want to go not where they want to go. As other posters have already said. It is the law!! What part of that don't you understand???

You are right, I don't understand; I think may need an inflated sense of entitlement to get it.

I think you need to visit some other countries (excluding North African countries) and you will change your mind. The reason I exclude North Africa is because Thailand and North Africa are Same Same. Does that make you proud?

I've been in countries were crimes against taxi drivers are common, and taxi drivers being able to use their discretion is a matter of self preservation. I have also been in countries were taxi drivers get paid much, much more than drivers in Thailand, and thus the level of the service is expected to be higher.

I am proud of being able to analyze things within their context and based on their own merits and shortfalls.

• Like 1

Then the law is dumb.

A taxi should have the right to refuse a passenger in many circumstances, but not for refusal to use the meter. eg the passenger wants to go from Pattaya to Bangkok when he only has 30 minutes of his shift left, the passenger is drunk, smelly or obnoxious etc etc

I wonder if the same people complaining would be happy to have a law that would force them to take work at a loss (on top of being a low paying job to begin with), or that would endanger them, or work extra time on demand, etc, etc...

• Like 1

Then the law is dumb.

I wonder if the same people complaining would be happy to have a law that would force them to take work at a loss (on top of being a low paying job to begin with), or that would endanger them, or work extra time on demand, etc, etc...

Easy, don't become a taxi driver if you don't like the pay or the basics of the job. If they are having to "take a loss" at their job, that still doesn't give them the right to rip off people by not using meters.

• Like 1

Then the law is dumb.

What a bunch of BS!

Don't become a prt of the SERVICE industry, if you are not willing to SERVE!

What a joke. I was rejected on Sukhumvit Rd yesterday, it's got to the point I don't even bother to hail a taxi on that road any more I get a sky train to my nearest destination to where I want to go and then get a cab.

So now you travel like 90% of the population on sukhumvit, congrats. Try and keep up. :P

What a bunch of BS!

Don't become a prt of the SERVICE industry, if you are not willing to SERVE!

Do you work in the service industry? Plenty of service providers state their right to reserve admission or service at their own discretion.

• Like 1

Yeah, it says Fyffes Bananas on buses in the UK but they haven't got any.

... bruahahaha ... well put indeed ... not to mention those bogus Victoria's Secret-like signs everywhere ... just worth f.a., nothing there to backup these claims ...