Explosion of New Good Quality Affordable Indian Restaurants in Pattaya

Jingthing

Haven't read the thread in detail but am inclined to ask why the OP believe there is such an "explosion of Indian restaurants", if indeed that is the case (stats might help)?

Is the alleged increase driven by demand, profitability or other factors?

Oh, that's easy.

Increase in tourists from South Asia.

It is indeed the case.

The number of new Indian places in the last few years is dramatic.

Russian places are going down though.

Reason ... Russian tourism down.

Chinese tourism is also way up but they are mostly BIG BUS tourists and support many fewer small Chinese restaurants.

But there has also been a noticeable increase in smaller Chinese restaurants, but minor compared to Indian.

I can't give you stats.

I have something else.

EYES.

If you don't believe me, I don't really care. I have also talked to Indian owners about this and they agree the growth in the Indian market is dramatic.

Also note that Middle East world tourists also are familiar with Indian food and they eat Indian too, but more likely to stick with rice dishes like biryani.

They are also on the rise here.

As far as profitability, I'm not an owner but I have noticed that in the newer places there is a tendency to offer price levels that more reasonable than years back when there weren't many choices. They seem aware that people have lots of choices now so I think the market is more competitive, price-wise.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jingthing- you have an annoying turn of phrase - if they can be called phrases- which come over as being condescending to people who are asking genuine questions and most of whom are not stupid I'm sure. Anyway the thread is intersting and your contributions very useful as I love Indian food and having tried many dozens in Pattaya over the last 25 years have never been truly impressed compared to other parts of Asia or even Bangkok.

Haven't read the thread in detail but am inclined to ask why the OP believe there is such an "explosion of Indian restaurants", if indeed that is the case (stats might help)?

Oh, that's easy.

It is indeed the case.

Chinese tourism is also way up but they are mostly BIG BUS tourists and support many fewer small Chinese restaurants.

But there has also been a noticeable increase in smaller Chinese restaurants, but minor compared to Indian.

I can't give you stats.

I have something else.

EYES.

If you don't believe me, I don't really care. I have also talked to Indian owners about this and they agree the growth in the Indian market is dramatic.

Also note that Middle East world tourists also are familiar with Indian food and they eat Indian too, but more likely to stick with rice dishes like biryani.

As far as profitability, I'm not an owner but I have noticed that in the newer places there is a tendency to offer price levels that more reasonable than years back when there weren't many choices. They seem aware that people have lots of choices now so I think the market is more competitive, price-wise.

It was an honest and genuine question JT, no need to get snotty!

So the increase in Indian restaurants is a bi-product of the increase in Middle Eastern visitors. That makes sense, every ethnic group that increases in volume here seems to bring with them an associated business, with the Brits it was English pubs/breakfasts and the Americans it was fast food joints, maybe this is a good way to spot the next market opportunity, watch the levels of incoming tourists, by country of origin.

Jingthing- you have an annoying turn of phrase - if they can be called phrases- which come over as being condescending to people who are asking genuine questions and most of whom are not stupid I'm sure. Anyway the thread is intersting and your contributions very useful as I love Indian food and having tried many dozens in Pattaya over the last 25 years have never been truly impressed compared to other parts of Asia or even Bangkok.

I was annoyed by the poster using terms like alleged and demanding statistics as if I have imagined the Indian restaurant explosion here. So I responded rudely. So sue me.

As far as being super wowed by the Indian food here ... I agree that is a tall order in Pattaya ... but on the other hand, there really are serviceable Indian options here now. Many actually.

People who say there aren't basically haven't tried hard enough and/or they are going on very dated information.

I have never said that Pattaya is a great global city for Indian food. It isn't.

Overall, on another thread, I gave my 1 to 10 overall rating of Pattaya for the better Indian restaurants here also accounting for the regional variety now available here.

That number was 6 or 7.

But my rating for Mexican food in Pattaya overall is 1.

So you see. 6 or 7 is relatively pretty good.

BTW, that's my theory as the why the Mexican food is so HORRIBLE in Pattaya.

There are so few North Americans (Canadians, Americans, and Mexicans) to form the base for that market here.

So it doesn't exist.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh, that's easy.

It is indeed the case.

I can't give you stats.

I have something else.

EYES.

So the increase in Indian restaurants is a bi-product of the increase in Middle Eastern visitors. That makes sense, every ethnic group that increases in volume here seems to bring with them an associated business, with the Brits it was English pubs/breakfasts and the Americans it was fast food joints, maybe this is a good way to spot the next market opportunity, watch the levels of incoming tourists, by country of origin.

Yeah whatever.

The main demographic driver are Indian tourists, not Middle Eastern tourists.

It's just that a lot of the Indian restaurants are located in the Middle Eastern district here ... and they also like Indian food so that market is a secondary driver there.

There are some Indian restaurants more targeted to Brits as well, but that isn't a big part of the market.

I don't agree that Americans drive fast food joints here.

There are very few Americans in Pattaya, percentage-wise.

Everyone goes to fast food joints!

The next big market is obvious. CHINESE. If and when they come as independent tourists in great numbers. Not yet.

More back to topic.

Many people know about the quite good Madras Darbar on 2nd road across from Central Mall.

They specialize in South Indian food but also have north.

It's an older restaurant and the prices are somewhat higher but it is deservedly popular.

A dish I really enjoy there is the semi-dry spicy roasted chicken Chettinad. Perhaps the only place in town for that.

Well they did recently greatly expand their space, and I've noticed sometimes even with the bigger space they're sometimes totally full.

Anyway, that's not news.

Next door to Madras Darbar another LARGE Indian place is in the process of opening.

This was the space that used to be the Persian restaurant and buffet that moved further up 2nd road, north of Pattaya Klang.

It's called something like Naan N Curry.

I wonder if its related to Madras Darbar.

It would be more interesting if it's not .... two big Indian restaurants, side by side, how exciting.

Obviously it's going to be something different than Madras Darbar so looking forward to what they offer.

Edited by Jingthing

OK. I've got a new one here that fits in well with this topic.

It's off the beaten track so I bet not many know about this one.

It is also a NEW restaurant.

The customers will be almost all South Asians and the food is tasty and authentic.

Prices good for Pattaya.

It's called

RAJWA Indian Restaurant.

North Indian and offers some unusual Gujarati regional dishes.

Soi 12 on north side of Pattaya Klang.

Soi 12 is not as far east as 3rd road.

Go north on Soi 12 from Klang (it's basically a funky alley) until you hit this place, on the left.

It's a shophouse sized place.

The Thali looked very good but sorry to say there is no price on the menu and I think they are not giving everyone the same price.

As in I asked and they said 200 and an Indian person told me it was 150. That bites.

Anyway, the regular menu is clear enough and with prices I assume for all.

I had chicken reshmi tikka (180) and a tomato Gujarati curry (140).

Both very honest freshly cooked Indian soul food kinds of experiences.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh, that's easy.

It is indeed the case.

I can't give you stats.

I have something else.

EYES.

Yeah whatever.

The main demographic driver are Indian tourists, not Middle Eastern tourists.

It's just that a lot of the Indian restaurants are located in the Middle Eastern district here ... and they also like Indian food so that market is a secondary driver there.

There are some Indian restaurants more targeted to Brits as well, but that isn't a big part of the market.

I don't agree that Americans drive fast food joints here.

There are very few Americans in Pattaya, percentage-wise.

Everyone goes to fast food joints!

The next big market is obvious. CHINESE. If and when they come as independent tourists in great numbers. Not yet.

Read more slowly. I didn't suggest that Americans drive the fast food market I wrote that their arrival caused an increase in them, more likely is that they initiated them.

And no body "demanded" anything from you, it was merely suggested that stats. may "help" people better understand the "alleged" growth, which is as yet only subjective and not a supported fact!

There is no doubt that the Chinese market is the next explosion and there will be more and more independent tourists from China too; younger and adventurous; so not necessarily wanting to eat Chinese food all the time. They can get that at home and better than anything in Pattaya. So, I'll suggest that Thai food restaurants will be more prevalent; tailored to the Chinese market.

There is no doubt that the Chinese market is the next explosion and there will be more and more independent tourists from China too; younger and adventurous; so not necessarily wanting to eat Chinese food all the time. They can get that at home and better than anything in Pattaya. So, I'll suggest that Thai food restaurants will be more prevalent; tailored to the Chinese market.

Yes, that is a very good point, I do agree, and yes I've thought of that before.

Some nationalities have a strong tendency to eat their home food abroad, a lot or exclusively, even as tourists.

Indians, definitely.

Koreans, Iranians also, and a number of others.

Other nationalities, not so much.

Even the Chinese big tour buses are really big on eating at THAI seafood restaurants.

So yes independent Chinese tourists probably wouldn't insist on Chinese all the time or even much at all, and no, it generally wouldn't be as good here. Certainly not yet.

But strictly as a numbers game, with a boom in independent Chinese tourists and residents surely there will be some kind of increase in small Chinese restaurants not big enough for large groups.

Actually, that has ALREADY happened to some degree, so it will likely happen more.

There is yet another aspect of this even when there are large numbers here demanding their home food.

What QUALITY of their home food are they demanding?

In the Russian restaurant boom, now quickly fading, my impression was the general quality of the Russian food was not very good.

The Russians en masse did not seem to DEMAND that.

They seemed quite OK with pretty crappy Russian food. Some will say Russian food is crappy by definition. I don't say that.

But other nationalities are more FOOD OBSESSED and will demand something better, especially if paying decent money for it.

I think Indians (and Chinese) are like that.

Anyway, the fact that some nationalities are NOT adventurous in eating other foods while abroad is a huge BENEFIT to those of us who love variety in food. That's why, over time, Pattaya has emerged more and more as moderate price level restaurant destination for those who are looking for more than THAI food in Thailand.

No, very few people would come to Pattaya just to eat, like many people go to Singapore or San Francisco, but it has become much more pleasant for the kind of people who would.

Edited by Jingthing

Read more slowly. I didn't suggest that Americans drive the fast food market I wrote that their arrival caused an increase in them, more likely is that they initiated them.

And no body "demanded" anything from you, it was merely suggested that stats. may "help" people better understand the "alleged" growth, which is as yet only subjective and not a supported fact!

When you find time to visit Pattaya, let us know how you like some of these new Indian restaurants.rolleyes.gif

Otherwise, I have absolutely NO interest in engaging with you.

When you find time to visit Pattaya, let us know how you like some of these new Indian restaurants.rolleyes.gif

Otherwise, I have absolutely NO interest in engaging with you.

There there dear, there there.

There there dear, there there.

As I suspected, you're just here to provoke, not really interested in the topic.

OK, ignore list time.

Sorry it took so long.

Others ... read the OP for the topic.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm looking forward to your review of the place with the kebabs JT....mainly as I'll be in Patters soon.

Ate in the new one in Bangkok the other day and was 650++ for their Sunday brunch offering.

That one looks a real bargain in comparison.

I'm looking forward to your review of the place with the kebabs JT....mainly as I'll be in Patters soon.

Ate in the new one in Bangkok the other day and was 650++ for their Sunday brunch offering.

You mean the buffet for 330 plus plus.

Well I know what you mean about those fancy Bangkok Indian weekend brunch places.

There is no way it will be as good or as extensive as that.

Anyway, I haven't done yet.

Thanks for the reminder.

Better check it out soon as I'm not confident that offer will last long.

You see the location isn't very good and not enough people know about it.

So if it doesn't start bringing them in, it can't last.

That would be too bad as this is a great concept and something really needed in Pattaya.

As a reminder to people, the place we're talking about here is the Indian restaurant next door to the new Rango Steakhouse.

2nd road.

West side.

North of Pattaya Klang.

South of Alcazar.

Edited by Jingthing

You mean the buffet for 330 plus plus.

Well I know what you mean about those fancy Bangkok Indian weekend brunch places.

There is no way it will be as good or as extensive as that.

Anyway, I haven't done yet.

Thanks for the reminder.

Better check it out soon as I'm not confident that offer will last long.

You see the location isn't very good and not enough people know about it.

So if it doesn't start bringing them in, it can't last.

That would be too bad as this is a great concept and something really needed in Pattaya.

As a reminder to people, the place we're talking about here is the Indian restaurant next door to the new Rango Steakhouse.

2nd road.

West side.

North of Pattaya Klang.

South of Alcazar.

330++ aint that cheap....I hope its good...we like a lazy Sunday Indian brunch!

The kebabs are only for dinner there.

The lunch buffet, no kebabs, and cheaper.

It actually is cheap for a GOOD buffet with kebabs.

It will not compare to those Bangkok places as far as range of choices. MUCH smaller venue.

Edited by Jingthing

ok, as you mentioned,

saras is not a new place,

and it`s a 100% pure vegetarian indian restaurant

pp. my expirience

https://youtu.be/q4Gub47m8Vw?t=3m36s

for a paneer butter massalla, and a vegetarian byriani and a plate of plane rice, and a diet coke,

I`m charged 625 Baht

but if you like the free parking of your car in the garage of the royal garden,

the whole package justify a higher price, cause they will also pay a higher rent.

So, IMO, you can*t just compare the prices of the dishes in every new restaurant,

you have to see the full package, parking, quality of toiletts, service.

Edited by DisainaM

The kebabs are only for dinner there.

The lunch buffet, no kebabs, and cheaper.

It actually is cheap for a GOOD buffet with kebabs.

It will not compare to those Bangkok places as far as range of choices. MUCH smaller venue.

Thanks for the reminder regards the kebabs...looks like we'll try dinner.

Thanks to JT's new thread, today I tried Crown of India for lunch. Got there about 1 pm., Tuesday afternoon, I was the only customer.

I like the restaurant's atmosphere: lovely aircon, quiet, attractive decor, cloth napkins, tablecloths.

I ordered the only Indian dish I have any experience with: Bhindi Masala. Crown's Bhindi is above average in my opinion. The okra was cut in small pieces, not too spicy (as I'd requested thanks to their inquiry), tender, and quite satisfying. Fairly priced at 155 baht. I also ordered a tandoori roti at 25 baht, and a water at 20 baht.

I have no complaints about the food, but the service guys could have been less annoying. One guy hovered nearby for no reason; then when I had finished eating and asked for the check, he was useless for that. Paying the check was a bit of a pain, tho the Bhindi I'd eaten was for some reason priced on the check at 145 baht, 10 baht lower than the menu price. The check sadly included the dreaded plus plus. The service guys seemed a bit confused, tho overly willing to "help".

With a lousy location, I can't hope that this ambitious Indian fine-dining restaurant will last long. Enjoy it while you can, if you want to. I did.

Hi there.

Now I'm confused.

I was told the buffet was on for lunch and dinner there, daily.

You were there for lunch.

No buffet?
If not, not sure what this means.

Maybe buffet dinner only. Maybe no buffet?

Yes I ate one meal there a la carte before the buffet thing.

It was indeed above average for Pattaya but I didn't appreciate the plus plus and I think there are better places for a la carte.

Anyway, IF the buffet thing is still on for dinner anyway, geez, they really need to get something like a flashing NEON sign or something to tell people about it!

While there isn't much walk by traffic there, there is LOTS of traffic on 2nd road ... so a big sign about the buffet would tell a LOT of people.

Edited by Jingthing

In Jomtien, I have tried the new Real India resto. Location is on the short road connecting the beach to Thappraya road. Coming from the beach, it's 20 metres short of Menuet and Robin Hood. There used to be an Indian there before, but this is either a new owner or a makeover. Anyway, the food was good --- a few set meals under 300 baht and no + +. The menu is quite extensive.

It is nice to finally have a good and reasonable Indian in Jomtien.

I may be wrong, but I recall speaking to the people there and being told it's the same restaurant ... just freshened up.

Anyway, the a la carte prices are on the high side compared to places in South Pattaya like the actually newish Royal Indian Masala.

BTW, the reason there isn't much in the way of Indian food in Jomtien is because there are very few Indian tourists there.

There is also that place near Rompho Market.

Edited by Jingthing

Next door Crown of India has now expanded space and become something rather exciting, a higher end 7 day week BUFFET restaurant.

They have the buffet for lunch and dinner, with dinner starting at 7 P.M.

What makes this special is included in the buffet are some kinds of freshly cooked meat kebabs / tandoori meats, something you will never see here on a cheaper price buffet.

That feature is for dinner only.

That didn't last long. "No buffet" when I looked last night. No customers either.

Next door Crown of India has now expanded space and become something rather exciting, a higher end 7 day week BUFFET restaurant.

They have the buffet for lunch and dinner, with dinner starting at 7 P.M.

What makes this special is included in the buffet are some kinds of freshly cooked meat kebabs / tandoori meats, something you will never see here on a cheaper price buffet.

That feature is for dinner only.

That didn't last long. "No buffet" when I looked last night. No customers either.

Assuming your report is true and no reason to doubt it, that was very predictable!

I could see that concept working in an area with a LOT more foot traffic, like on the southern part of 2nd road, north of Pattaya Tai.

Edited by Jingthing

Assuming your report is true and no reason to doubt it, that was very predictable!

I could see that concept working in an area with a LOT more foot traffic, like on the southern part of 2nd road, north of Pattaya Tai.

I suppose it is possible that the complete answer should have been "no buffet ..... today". Someone should check again another day.

Yes, that area is strangely quiet. I noticed as soon as I got north of Central Festival barkers were enticing me into restaurants much more than they do to the south of Central Festival.

Like I said, I really can't keep up with all these new Indian restaurants.

It's getting ridonculous!

Anyway, here's some more:

Naan-N-Curry, large new restaurant, now open on 2nd road across from Central Pattaya Beach Mall.

(Their name and sign look familiar. Is this a chain out of Bangkok? Couldn't find it on google. Does anyone know?)

Very close to the Austrian restaurant Domicil on 2nd road a bit south of Klang, west side, is an Indian hotel with another new Indian restaurant. Don't recall the name right now but I looked at the menu and it looked promising. Prices mostly reasonable but high for lamb and a few unusual to find dishes on offer.

Indian Chimney on 2nd road close to the soi for Pattaya International Hospital has moved after it was closed due to demolition of space, previously on Beach Road. Indian Chimney at the old location had an above average Indian tour group lunch and dinner buffet, used to be about 250 baht, and also a good full a la carte menu. I recall the tandoori chicken was excellent. I don't know yet whether the new place is the same concept or not as I just passed on a bus ... but hope to check it out.

So folks, the challenge is there. I can't keep up with this Indian food explosion! Please get out there, try out these new places, and report back!

Edited by Jingthing

Naan-N-Curry, large new restaurant, now open on 2nd road across from Central Pattaya Beach Mall.

(Their name and sign look familiar. Is this a chain out of Bangkok? Couldn't find it on google. Does anyone know?)

I see loads of places with similar names on Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=Naan-N-Curry&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

To me Naan-N-Curry sounds about as unauthentic as one could possibly get (reminds me of Curry-N-Chips), but that wont stop me eating there if the prices and flavours are right.