Bid to allay fears over rumours of attacks

Lite Beer

Bid to allay fears over rumours of attacks
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- Authorities closely monitoriong situation; Security stepped up at key locations around the country

POLICE and the military yesterday attempted to allay public fears of possible violent attacks throughout the country today, as had been claimed by arrested bomber suspects.

Colonel Winthai Suvari, spokesman for the National Council for Peace and Order, said that both the military and police officers had been closely monitoring the situation. He said security measures had been stepped up at many key locations.

"The public members should rest assured that the authorities have sufficient measures to deal with the situation," the spokesman said.

The perpetrators of the recent grenade attack on the Criminal Court reportedly told police that their group had planned to carry out similar attacks at some 100 major locations throughout the country today.

Police have concluded that they are dealing with the same group responsible for the double explosions in early February outside Siam Paragon shopping mall.

Winthai said that the information provided by the perpetrators had yet to be proven but the authorities would not take risks. "Up till now, we have found nothing unusual," he added.

Police said that the national police chief, General Somyot Poompanmoung, had ordered relevant police units to step up their security measures in order to prevent possible attacks.

Royal Thai Police spokesman Lt-General Prawut Thawornsiri said that police patrols had been increased at tourist destinations and other landmarks.

Prawut urged the public not to be overly worried about the reported confessions and the subsequent rumours that identified possible locations to be targeted in Bangkok's business and shopping areas.

Prawut said that police officers from several units, both in uniform and in plainclothes, had been sent to different locations as part of the stepped-up security measures.

"We also got cooperation from the military. I would like to ask any public members with information about suspects to report it to police," he said.

A military court yesterday granted a police request for further detention of four people arrested in connection with the bomb attack on the Criminal Court last Saturday.

The suspects - two men and two women - are Mahahin Khunthong, Yutthana Yenphinyo, Natthaphat Onming, and Thatchaphan Pokkhrong.

The charges against them include attempted murder, possessing explosive devices and violating martial law.

Police will seek arrest warrants for five more suspects for their alleged involvement in the attack, according to Prawut.

He said the police request would be submitted to a military court within a day or two.

The police spokesman did not identify the additional suspects facing arrest warrants. But he said that police had not decided to take any action regarding two figures close to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra whose contact numbers were found in a suspect's notebook.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bid-to-allay-fears-over-rumours-of-attacks-30256039.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-15

The perpetrators of the recent grenade attack on the Criminal Court reportedly told police that their group had planned to carry out similar attacks at some 100 major locations throughout the country today.

I certainly hope all is well today, and the day passes without violence.

That said, while there clearly is some kind of underground anti-coup movement out there, it seems me highly unlikely that they would have anywhere near the kind of organizational and logistical resources to carry out 100 simultaneous bomb attacks throughout the country.

And if they were trying to do something like that, why would the same group have gone after the Criminal Court a week ahead of time, risking potential advance exposure and certainly leading to a heightening of police/military scrutiny and enforcement?

It doesn't seem to make much sense.

Answer - If you pay peanuts you get monkeys

Alternatively - Terrorist seek to gain an over reaction from the government - repression is the terrorist best recruiter. Hence the government is seeking to downplay the threat while at the same time putting additional measures into place. This is an appropriate measured response from a government.

Answer - If you pay peanuts you get monkeys

Alternatively - Terrorist seek to gain an over reaction from the government - repression is the terrorist best recruiter. Hence the government is seeking to downplay the threat while at the same time putting additional measures into place. This is an appropriate measured response from a government.

That may very well be so, but the whole issue would had been avoided if they simply kept their yaps shut and not cause a panic by publicizing the threats from the terrorists in the first place.

I don't care what goes on behind the scenes with the Thais endless bickering, I just want my beer, entertainment and my salary.

That sort of selfless approach should ensure that you integrate extremely well.

I agree with Rod.. We dont have a say in politics here... Has nothing to do with intergratuon. Most thais dont give a crap either. No matter who is in power nothing changes.

Make sure the Beers are cold Rod.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

You should start looking in the deap south now with that many possibilities they are talking about. Sounds mor like muslums then anything else.

... and you're basing you theory on...???

It didn't take long until the Muslim bashing started.

And to think that these attacks happened under marshal law by the 7% supporters of terrorism.

Lets hope the UDD and their red shirt supporters leave the majority in peace until reform is implemented.

The majority do not deserve to be attacked and bombed while democracy is being installed.

There is only one group that secures its position by letting off a few bombs.

How true.

Thaksin and his team have only ever come to power by winning elections.

The Military and the Democrats have only ever come to power in the absence of elections and the presence of explosions.

• Like 2

And to think that these attacks happened under marshal law by the 7% supporters of terrorism.

Lets hope the UDD and their red shirt supporters leave the majority in peace until reform is implemented.

The majority do not deserve to be attacked and bombed while democracy is being installed.

Yes - the Army reform of the constitution that was imposed by the Army in 2006

You should start looking in the deap south now with that many possibilities they are talking about. Sounds mor like muslums then anything else.

Rubbish. Read the OP and the two stories behind the story that it refers to.

It used to be reds under the bed....now it's Muslims as the scapegoat for everyone's fears.

How true.

The Military and the Democrats have only ever come to power in the absence of elections and the presence of explosions.

Nobody can argue that Thaksin and his team are pro violence. Men in black, grenades, grenade launchers, bombs to many to count, supporters armed with assault rifles, all bankrolled and approved by the Montenegrin in Dubai. When he was in power it was just disappearing lawyers, Takbai massacres, executing drug suspects guilty or not and run of the mill human rights abuses.

Nobody can argue that daily bombings have stopped since the military took over. I am not pro anti Thaksin or the military. These are just my observations.

How true.

Nobody can argue that Thaksin and his team are pro violence. Men in black, grenades, grenade launchers, bombs to many to count, supporters armed with assault rifles, all bankrolled and approved by the Montenegrin in Dubai. When he was in power it was just disappearing lawyers, Takbai massacres, executing drug suspects guilty or not and run of the mill human rights abuses.

Nobody can argue that daily bombings have stopped since the military took over. I am not pro anti Thaksin or the military. These are just my observations.

Daily bombings in the South have stopped? You must have a different news section from the rest of TV members.

How true.

Daily bombings in the South have stopped? You must have a different news section from the rest of TV members.

I don't think he mentioned the south.

How true.

When the army are not in power there is bombing and deaths in the streets, when the army are in power there is not - kind of proves it's the army behind the violence doesn't it.

The time tested process over here is to spill bit of blood in the streets, preferably the blood of the poor, and then roll in with the tanks. If the elected government is restrained in its response to street mobs then the aim is to destroy by shutting down the economy and murdering from the shadows with embedded military personnel.

By the quantity of Yellow propaganda in your post it's quite clear that your very much in the anti Thaksin anti / democracy camp - know thyself.

It is to be hoped that none of these attacks eventuate...after months being at the mercy of Suthep's band of terrorists, Bangkok deserves a break.

Herein lies the trouble with the Juntas biased actions to date - it guarantees another round of street protests and more economic woes. The fact is the only side that is going to be able to deliver a knockout punch in this Yellow vs The People war is The People.

The next time The People retake their country they need to throw all of these Generals and their financial backers in jail - no more playing nice against such a vicious enemy of the state - then and only then will Bangkok get the peace it deserves.

It is to be hoped that none of these attacks eventuate...after months being at the mercy of Suthep's band of terrorists, Bangkok deserves a break.

Herein lies the trouble with the Juntas biased actions to date - it guarantees another round of street protests and more economic woes. The fact is the only side that is going to be able to deliver a knockout punch in this Yellow vs The People war is The People.

The next time The People retake their country they need to throw all of these Generals and their financial backers in jail - no more playing nice against such a vicious enemy of the state - then and only then will Bangkok get the peace it deserves.

Agree 100%. Do away with the military. All we need is the Red Guards assisted by the Police.