Tourism minister sheds tear while opening new Chao Phraya landmark

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- Tourism and Sports Minister Korbkarn Wattanavrangku shed her tear of joy when she chaired the opening ceremony of a new Bangkok landmark on the Chao Phraya river bank.

She presided over the launching of Tha Maharaj community mall on Thursday. The new riverside mall is located on Tha Maharaj Road and on the opposite side from Wang Lang or Siriraj pier.

While expressing her admiration of the mall, which has been developed with colonial fusion architect, Korbkarn was seen choked with her emotion and her eyes brimmed with tear.

In her speech, Korbkarn said Tha Maharaj is another legend on the Chao Phraya River and the development of the community mall helped preserved the legend.

She said she was happy that the mall was developed by the persons who love Thainess.

“What I want most is to see Thais return to Thainess and revive the old way of life of Thais. This place allows us to see those things,” the minister said.

The mall has a small park and is decorated with Installation art pieces from Silpakorn University.

Several popular brands have opened their shops in the mall, including Starbucks, S & P, After You, Savoey, Saeb I Lee, and Every Day.

The mall CEO Suphaphan Pichaironnarongsongkram said the mall was developed under the concept of “riverside eatery, urban oasis and culture market” with the goal to provide access to the Chao Phraya to tourists.

Suphaphan said Tha Maharaj was a road built during the early period of Ratanakosin era. Since many tourists have been travelling past the road, he decided to build the mall on the 3-rai plot.

Thainess has gone the same as the equivalent did in the U.K when you could leave your door unlocked and strangers you passed in the street would smile and say hello. Unfortunate but it's called "progress" how I don't know although for me I'd prefer the old days (especially before smartphones).

• Like 2

Thainess has gone the same as the equivalent did in the U.K when you could leave your door unlocked and strangers you passed in the street would smile and say hello. Unfortunate but it's called "progress" how I don't know although for me I'd prefer the old days (especially before smartphones).

Why does progress always make things worse ?
  • Like 2

Why does progress always make things worse ?

Have you ever had an anaesthetic?

“What I want most is to see Thais return to Thainess and revive the old way of life of Thais".

I am not an expert on Thai history or "Thainess". I do know that the history of many counties is rife with incidents that are less than desirable. From what I have researched, reviving the "old way of life" is something to think about.

• Like 1

I was there on Tuesday. It's only small, right where the tourist ferry stops.

Did you shed a tear?

Yes, but only because I don't have shares in Starbucks, seeing how it looked to be doing quite well already crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkUs49400

For anyone going to the Grand Palace, this pier where the blue flag tourist boats stop, is a couple of hundred metres further on than the the orange flag commuter ferry, where you exit through a ramshackle old market and emerge opposite the palace walls.

A shopping mall is 'Thainess' ? You couldn't make this stuff up.

Well, actually it is. In fact, there is hardly anything more Thai than a shopping mall, so the woman is more right than she could ever have imagined.

attachicon.gifThainess.jpg

As an "Expat", I love "Thainess". My only problem is that I don't particularly like either of those two English-language words. But then maybe it's too late as I've already "Gone Native".

If that's your style of Thainess.....you've done a terrific job.........lovely home......for an expat :))....like!