Drones in Thailand

callaway

If it's any help I brought my small (250mm) kit built FPV quadcopter (drone) with batteries, RC transmitter and video goggles in with me at the beginning of this month to play with at the local model club while I'm here on holiday with no problems at all.

Last year I had two with me! No problem then either, they're probably more concerned with people bringing in silly quantities of booze and fags.

I keep an RC aircraft here that I fly at the club too.

Allegedly flying video equipped stuff was going to be made illegal in Thailand from February this year but I haven't heard anymore about that. Knee jerk reaction to people flying the ready made stuff carelessly in silly places probably.

post-64584-0-53369000-1426516319_thumb.j

• Like 1

The ones i have seen are camera equipped so you think this may be a problem Retro?

All mine are flown via a video link from the on-board camera.

Enforcing silly stuff like the proposed <drone ban> when even road traffic laws are ignored wholesale seems kind of unlikely! In eight years of model flying here on holiday I've never seen a policeman at the flying field!

Andrew

Pics from last year....

post-64584-0-63919600-1426521801_thumb.j

post-64584-0-57358100-1426522187_thumb.j

Edited by RetroGTAndrew
  • Like 1

I had a husban X4 with a little mini camera... I ended up giving it to one of the little kids in the village, probably stuck on a roof by now or eaten by a soi dog,

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless its a larger long range drone, think they are more concerned with people using them for illegal purposes such as drug smuggling, with mine you wouldn't do much drug smuggling with a 100 meter range!

I heard ecigs are also banned, I bought back 3 ecigs and a drone in my case last time coming in heh, what a rebel.

Happy droning

If you fly near an army installation/base with one you might end up in big problems, they are very sensitive about it. When the Navy have open house out in Satahip, expats can't get in and see the ships as the Thais can.

Also if you hit anybody and injure them with a drone you can risk an lawsuit filled against you, demanding an enormous amount of money, so fly carefully.

We have a GoPro shop in Tukcom in Pattaya and they sell quite fancy drones and I seen other places as well.

If it's any help I brought my small (250mm) kit built FPV quadcopter (drone) with batteries, RC transmitter and video goggles in with me at the beginning of this month to play with at the local model club while I'm here on holiday with no problems at all.

Last year I had two with me! No problem then either, they're probably more concerned with people bringing in silly quantities of booze and fags.

I keep an RC aircraft here that I fly at the club too.

Allegedly flying video equipped stuff was going to be made illegal in Thailand from February this year but I haven't heard anymore about that. Knee jerk reaction to people flying the ready made stuff carelessly in silly places probably.

Andrew, we have just ordered a couple of FPV 250mm racing drones from the US...with goggles.

I'm sure you have been watching the same YouTube video of "star wars" like racing through the trees and buildings.

Can't wait for ours to arrive.

I have the DJI 450 flame wheel and the Vision 2 +...but these little racing drones look more fun.

How you finding the 250?

Small drones are – or have been – sold in Thailand. However, I read in Thai Visa News that a new law about drones was about to take effect – think from February 1st – which limit them where to be used.