Thai farmer hangs self because he has no money to pay creditor's bank

webfact

What other "many crops" are you referring to? Rice paddies are designed to flood. Stopping that would need expensive landscaping.
The water is pumped in!

What crops would you plant instead of rice in paddy land then? Come on tell everyone.

You now have the opportunity to revolutionize farming in Thailand.

sugarcane, egg plant, sweet corn and chillies.

Thanks apetely

I have no reasonable answer to owing so much money. But, there are many simple ways to harvest, save and store water on a property. One cannot do it instantaneously, but 1 season of good practice will yield water for a surprisingly long time. Another tragedy that could so easily be averted, at least in part.

PS: paddy fields can be converted to other crops simply by digging swales about 1 meter high on contour. A hoe is all you need. 2 or 3 people working together can dig them in 5 or 6 days across several rai.

"But, there are many simple ways to harvest, save and store water on a property. One cannot do it instantaneously, but 1 season of good practice will yield water for a surprisingly long time. Another tragedy that could so easily be averted, at least in part." And you think the Thai farm people don't already have dams, klongs and wells?

'PS: paddy fields can be converted to other crops simply by digging swales about 1 meter high on contour. A hoe is all you need. 2 or 3 people working together can dig them in 5 or 6 days across several rai.' You know this from personal experience? Maybe more details/pix's would help convey the message so I can pass it on to the locals.

There isn't enough stored water for most farmers to water crops at the moment. The ones that had water around here (Phitsanulok) have used it for corn, sunflower or watermelons.

Indeed we see yet again the tragic inheritance from the Great Rice pledging Scam Scheme.

The previous administration indeed do have ''blood upon their hands.''

This has nothing with the previous government to do. Many rice farmers have two harvest a year but Prayut ordered to cut down on the water and not release water for the 2nd harvest. He wanted to have one harvest a year for all farmers.

I was up there and some even grew 3 crops near the river. Didn't seem anyone paid any attention to Prayut.

It was Prayuth who ordered them not to plant additional crops.

That's right - because there is no water to grow them because of an extended drought.

Now why do you think that this man built up a substantial debt with the BAAC? Is it:

a). Prayuth warning them about a drastic water shortfall because of the drought - suggesting that it would be unwise to grow A SECOND crop,

or

B). Thaksin promising farmers that they will be rich if they fall for his rice scam, vote for PTT and put his sister in charge to organise his amnesty.

A supplementary question:

a). Did this unfortunate man accrue this massive 'farming' debt over the past 10 months since the junta took over because he was advised not to grow a SECOND crop of rice.

or

B). Due to the Shinawatra government failing to fulfil it's pledge to pay the rice farmers for months on end due to them having run out of money from this bird-brained scheme - despite it costing the nation 600 BILLION Baht.

• Like 2

These banks have got a lot to answer for. Giving huge loans to poor people, knowing full well it is impossible to pay it back.

Greedy little eyes are on the land. The banks are pushing credit cards and loans on many poor people. Then selling their lands cheaply at auction. Buying it them selves. Then reselling at huge profits. When is this going to stop.

I have yet to hear of any bank forcing someone to take a loan.

Tragically, it proves that subsistence farmers have been commiting suicide irrespective of who is in power.....

And to add that farmers all over the world need subsidies and welfare as no one can fight against weather condition and fluctuating prices.

Indeed we see yet again the tragic inheritance from the Great Rice pledging Scam Scheme.

This has nothing with the previous government to do. Many rice farmers have two harvest a year but Prayut ordered to cut down on the water and not release water for the 2nd harvest. He wanted to have one harvest a year for all farmers.

I was up there and some even grew 3 crops near the river. Didn't seem anyone paid any attention to Prayut.

Without putting too much brain energy into Prayut's order / suggestion, it would be fair to assume he was discussing area's relying on water being supplied for irrigation that would normally be supplied from established irrigation water storage dam, this is now being held back or possibly there is none available for release anyway.

Is it possible that money from the budget to help victims of the rice scheme was transferred to the “gifts from the government” happiness to all Thais program?

If this is the case I think it would be a nice gesture to name one of the new bike lanes in the capital after Mr. Duangchan Uttamano.

RIP old man.

I do not see any mention or connection with the previous administration in the OP

As " robblock" says in the preceding post ( and it is not often that I can say I agree with him!)" No water in the well and, therefore, no rice farming"

Even if he had water the price for rice is rock bottom,a new harvest wouldn't have helped much, i fear that this mans fate is the first of many.

Cheap shot.

Particularly since planting a crop that would have died due to the lack of water would have increased the farmer's debt load.

• Like 1

Try reading the OP instead of being a clever bugger, again and a very sympathetic post too! It quite clearly says "no water in the well, therefore, no rice farming".

RIP the farmer and condolences to his family.

• Like 1

RIP to the poor soul.

I hope his family struggle through this tragedy as best as they can.

I cannot RIP to the soul, who quite possibly took his own life and beat the odds of his demographic of people by not being illiterate, and being able to write a letter using words like "hence".

I also do not RIP him because he is a coward and did not have enough thought in his little mind to think about his wife, his children and the many alternatives to growing crops of other types, or even trying to sell off a bit of land.

It is curious that this man seemed to not even try, and at the first obstacle, he hangs himself after fashioning a well-crafted note (to indicate that he could read and write, which is also odd since most farmers cannot) So, why would a literate man give up so easily, and show no signs of crisis, to support his depressed state and which would indicate his intentions?

He may very well have committed suicide... I am not saying he did not... but there are some clear indications here that something stinks, or that he really is such a loser to give up that easily and to have no thought for his wife, or for his wife (who knows him best) not to indicate any outward behavioral changes.

RIP to the poor soul.

I hope his family struggle through this tragedy as best as they can.

I cannot RIP to the soul, who quite possibly took his own life and beat the odds of his demographic of people by not being illiterate, and being able to write a letter using words like "hence".

I also do not RIP him because he is a coward and did not have enough thought in his little mind to think about his wife, his children and the many alternatives to growing crops of other types, or even trying to sell off a bit of land.

It is curious that this man seemed to not even try, and at the first obstacle, he hangs himself after fashioning a well-crafted note (to indicate that he could read and write, which is also odd since most farmers cannot) So, why would a literate man give up so easily, and show no signs of crisis, to support his depressed state and which would indicate his intentions?

He may very well have committed suicide... I am not saying he did not... but there are some clear indications here that something stinks, or that he really is such a loser to give up that easily and to have no thought for his wife, or for his wife (who knows him best) not to indicate any outward behavioral changes.

Perhaps YOU cannot comprehend mental problems that occur over a period of strife..I never thought I would have such issues, but I did..Not in LOS, but I did.......It only takes a single straw to break a Camels back...........I was close........

• Like 1

No water in the well and, therefore, no rice farming and no money to repay the debt on March 20.

Perhaps you can tell us how there would have been enough water to grow rice if Prayuth had said it was ok to grow rice. I suppose Yingluck could have magically produced water? Please.

Tragically, it proves that subsistence farmers have been commiting suicide irrespective of who is in power.....

And to add that farmers all over the world need subsidies and welfare as no one can fight against weather condition and fluctuating prices.

Credit Abhisit with one thing. At least he tried (and succeeded to a certain extent) in ironing out these price fluctuations you mention with his rice mortgage scheme.

It was helpful in that it took some money from the rice sales and paid it into a fund when times were good and distributed this money back to the rice farmers in hard times when life was difficult.

Of course there was a subsidy because growing rice and selling it doesn't make money, but it was a sensible amount and put to good use!!

The farmers actually admitted the scheme was helpful - trouble is, they fell for Thaksin's lies that they were all going to be rich under his stewardship (oops)!!!