Thai police officer charged with biker's murder

webfact

Very convenient of course but how many ' broken ' devices are used on the public ?

Some years ago I was breath tested 5 times in Udon Thani Police Station and although I hadn't been drinking was still worried what might be produced. The excuses for yet another test were quite funny, " you didn't blow long enough, you blew too long " as examples.

I asked the Captain dealing with me if I was under arrest and when he said NO I made it clear I didn't want to play anymore and would leave. It was okay but would I just sign a small slip about the size of an ATM print out, no thanks I never sign something I don't understand. The lovely interpreter from the Tourist Police gripped my shoulder and gave me a beautiful grin.

I never heard anymore.

Didn't they try : "you didn't blow the right thing?"

Just asking, because a friend of mine once got away from trouble after he blew the right ... device. It was in Bangkok, about 20 years ago, and yes it is true !

"Know your target and what's behind it" is a basic principle for many law enforcement agencies. A bullet fired into the air goes who-knows-where and that is the reasoning for not firing warning shots.

I hope the investigation proceeds as it should. This is another example of why it should be considered to dismantle a dysfunctional agency and start from scratch,

RIP to the dead cyclist.

• Like 1

Disgusting. No wonder the Police are looked down upon. They really need a severe overhaul. I hope the Junta has this on its to-do list.

Highly unlikely, as they are all in bed together. Look at the way they covered up the Koh Tao murders.

You have any proof of what you say? Real evidence not some dodgy unreliable FB page?

If so you should submit it quick before the trial starts.

The majority of police here are a disgusting corrupt unprofessional bunch of <deleted>. But they've been like that for the last 25 years IME. At least we now appear to be seeing some clear outs, bad officers charged, convictions and attempts at reforms.

When the original story appeared a few days ago, there were several posters on this site blaming the victim for 'riding away'. They have all gone quiet now.

It also a reminder here that police are not always professional, sober on duty or display good judgement.

Anyone challenged by a cop to stop here should do so.

Lunacy that traffic cops here are armed. But there as also been many instances of them kicking or hitting people with things to knock them off bikes when they fail to stop. They couldn't give a monkey's about the consequences.

My Missus instructs me to always do as requested, keep smiling and speak politely.

Pure scum. Only in Thailand are breathalysers broken for cops, but very functional for others. blink.png

Very convenient of course but how many ' broken ' devices are used on the public ?

Some years ago I was breath tested 5 times in Udon Thani Police Station and although I hadn't been drinking was still worried what might be produced. The excuses for yet another test were quite funny, " you didn't blow long enough, you blew too long " as examples.

I asked the Captain dealing with me if I was under arrest and when he said NO I made it clear I didn't want to play anymore and would leave. It was okay but would I just sign a small slip about the size of an ATM print out, no thanks I never sign something I don't understand. The lovely interpreter from the Tourist Police gripped my shoulder and gave me a beautiful grin.

I never heard anymore.

. Police are a Serious Bunch in Udon...

Pure scum. Only in Thailand are breathalysers broken for cops, but very functional for others. blink.png

No, not only in Thailand do cop's protect cops.....it is everywhere....in every country....no exeption.

But it is suspicious that all the breathalysers were defective...

I was stopped a few days goin Chiang Mai suprised me as I had all of my gear on. The cop came over and ask where you from and I say Chiang Mai, how many years you live here I say 4 or 5 years, he asked where your house I told him and he says get out of here, I say ok. I do not know if it is worth running the road block as you may get shot.

Sr Sgt-Major Suphan Chamnijin has been charged with murder and discharged from the service.

the Provincial Police Region 2 has taken over the case from Nong Kham police.

doubtful bail in this case. ex cops in jail are not at the top of the pecking order either.

A friend of Nares said Chon Buri motorcyclists were now happy with the police response to the killing.

gee, another happy ending to a feel good story,

life is good in the LOS(smiles:))

A feel good story ??? you forget that somebody was killed...!!!

• Like 1

I was stopped a few days goin Chiang Mai suprised me as I had all of my gear on. The cop came over and ask where you from and I say Chiang Mai, how many years you live here I say 4 or 5 years, he asked where your house I told him and he says get out of here, I say ok. I do not know if it is worth running the road block as you may get shot.

Why do some guys get all the excitement??whistling.gif

After reading this story I feel disgusted by Suphan Chamnijin's actions. First he ram a car in Bang Saen, then fired a warning shot vertically into the sky (big lie). It's obvious that he is not fit to be a police and should be sentence to some serious jail time for this murder. Sadly he will be back in the RTP in a few days, case closed cos no witness to the killing and they cannot find the bullet.

As per most police departments around the world, there will be in police legislation what is known as "Justification For The Use Of Firearms" or similar. This justification includes but is not limited to "When in fear of your life, or in the protection of the lives of others." Someone fleeing the scene of a crime, be it on foot, or on motorbike gives no justification whatsoever for the use of firearms.

The use of firearms by the BIB is unjustified on so many occasions. There in lay a problem with recruitment, training, and policing of their own officers. There is no accountability, and if there is, those policing the accountability should also be held accountable. As for all of the breath analysing equipment being broken, or under repair.....The officer in charge of the station that day should be held accountable, and asked why his position within the police department should not be revoked immediately. Thailand, you have much work to do in the proper and justified policing of your citizens and tourists.

While it is true that flight alone is not justification, depending on the circumstances and the crime, firing on a fleeing suspect is warranted. You sound like you may be of the "he was shot in the back so the cop was wrong" crowd. That statement is false. The cop in this case likely was insulted, became enraged and acted inappropriately and willfully murdered the motorcyclist. This is not an uncommon phenomena to policing which could be eliminated through strict adherence to professionalism through strict discipline. Sadly two things that are apparently lacking with police in Thailand and other nations.

You sound like you may be of the "he was shot in the back so the cop was wrong" crowd.

No, actually I am an ex cop, Australian, and there is no excuse or justification for shooting an offender who is fleeing the scene of any crime, especially for a traffic offence. Unless you are in fear or threat of your own life, or the death or serious injury of another by an offender, there is no justification for the use of firearms. If that be the case that we were allowed to shoot those fleeing the scene of a misdemeanor , we wouldn't need police officers to uphold the law, we would only require trained marksman to patrol our streets. No police work or investigation would be necessary.

Happens in the uk as well

what happens in the UK as well ??

Police shoot unarmed people. What about the guy that was carrying a covered table leg, and was shot and killed because the policeman thought it was a gun?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Disgusting. No wonder the Police are looked down upon. They really need a severe overhaul. I hope the Junta has this on its to-do list.

I am sure it is on their list. Isnt that why they send the military with the police when a raid is conducted?

Full weight of the law, blah blah blah blah, i wonder if any of you live here to be honest, we all know what will happen, re : all the broken booze bags for starters. some cock and bull story will be made up and post 23 newbie, nice first post .. keep it up i wonder what post number 2 will say, not holding my breath

• Like 1

It was also alleged yesterday that on Monday night, Suphan rammed a vehicle at an intersection in Bang Saen.
A woman who witnessed the incident claimed her friends were in the sedan when Suphan rammed it with his pickup. They smelled alcohol on his breath but Saen Suk police did not make him undergo a breath test, as required by the law, because their breathalysers were broken.

She said Suphan stayed in his vehicle until a case officer from Saen Suk police arrived and took him to the station.

It was claimed that all the breathalysers were under repair and Suphan did not undergo a breath test, she said.

I bet the police office who told the woman that all the breathalysers were under repair could not keep a straight face...

More importantly such claims can be easily investigated, I predict an awful lot of police officers being moved to inactive posts.

If you are trying to enforce the laws of a country then those enforcing the laws must be law abiding themselves.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

No breathalyzer well they better fix that before songkran festival or who cares,the Thais now have access to modern technology and addictive mobile phone users ,but when something dosent fit with them it's my brakes failed or just play dumb lie you're arse off,if you want more of the modern world you thais have to start thinking the modern way, eeeerrrr

No breathalyzer well they better fix that before songkran festival or who cares,the Thais now have access to modern technology and addictive mobile phone users ,but when something dosent fit with them it's my brakes failed or just play dumb lie you're arse off,if you want more of the modern world you thais have to start thinking the modern way, eeeerrrr

. Now it's all started to catch up with the corruption makers

A drunk police officer hitting another car and killing a member of the public by shooting him!!

And his colleagues trying to cover his sorry backside!!

Another proud day for the Thai "police" !!

I'd think a police sergeant knows about a lot of skeletons in the closet, his colleagues better help him out. Happens all over the world.

Give it a month or two and he'll be released after the police investigation concludes that it was self defense.

Of course he will be found innocent and set free, He has learned from the States, He was reaching for my gun so I felt my life was in danger, it was self defense.