Songkran 2015 - will you leave Pattaya / hole up at home ?

MrWorldwide

This looms as my first Songkran in Pattaya - Apr 19-29 13-23 in Pattaya by my reckoning - and I'm ambivalent. I've avoided it like the plague for many years based on the reports I've read but I'll hold off on any decision to leave town till I've experienced it for myself. If all I can look forward to are Farang d-bags with high-pressure water guns, I might be better off just getting on a plane. Am I being a big girl's blouse on this ? The thought of people travelling all the way to Thailand to act like 12-year olds just seems odd to me (yep, even in Bizarro Disneyland), but I guess I'm an old fart. A day or 3 ? Sure. 10 days ? Not sure I'm up for that.

Sane feedback most welcome.

songkran-pattaya1.jpg

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 1

read this,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807030-the-2015-pattaya-songkran-faq-long/

probably one of the best ever posts on TV.

I concur, all you have to look forward to are farang d-bags, no you are not a big girls blouse.

In a couple of weeks I will be preparing my Songkran Survival Pack, thankfully I live in a gated community in Bkk and dont have to endure what you guys endure.

Too be honest it aint Songkran thats the problem its the farang d-bags.

Thanks for that - whatever happened to JSIxpack ? I always enjoyed his posts, but that FAQ is a fantastic effort.

Realised my dates were out by a week - have modified my OP to reflect it. As he says in the FAQ, we can expect the premature ejaculator types to start early, so even those dates may be optimistic.

Let me take one more stab at the dates based on JSixpack's FAQ - somewhere around the 11th to the 19th, and the longer it goes the worse it would appear to get. That's actually 9 days, but if you have to spend the 10th making preparations to survive it, then it's 10 days that many locals seem to dread. I'd read the horror stories before, esp around the motorbike accidents, but the potential for fights is huge. I'm not silly enough to take on the Thais, but a Farang deliberately throwing ice water in my face might be a different proposition - a situation best avoided regardless of the outcome.

• Like 1

Jsixpack is right here:

On top of TV Pattaya page, a sticky, I think people often miss Sticky Posts, cos they are at the very top, and easily overlooked.. he just updated a day ago.

As been said here already, probably the greatest post on all of TV forum. Read, learn, and laugh out loud until bellyaches maybe about 74 times!

Thank you, Jsixpack for the great read!

read this,

probably one of the best ever posts on TV.

I concur, all you have to look forward to are farang d-bags, no you are not a big girls blouse.

In a couple of weeks I will be preparing my Songkran Survival Pack, thankfully I live in a gated community in Bkk and dont have to endure what you guys endure.

Too be honest it aint Songkran thats the problem its the farang d-bags.

Thanks for that - whatever happened to JSIxpack ? I always enjoyed his posts, but that FAQ is a fantastic effort.

Realised my dates were out by a week - have modified my OP to reflect it. As he says in the FAQ, we can expect the premature ejaculator types to start early, so even those dates may be optimistic.

• Like 1

Thankfully I am off for overseas work on the 9th next month, suits me very very well. smile.png

If not I would have been holing out in my house, stocked up with plenty of beers and food but using the truck occasionally.

One of the few times of the year when I don't complain about traffic when sitting in my locked truck and closed windowswink.png

Hi. I will left Pattaya & Thailand in 2 weeks for my yearly trip to my country & family.

I will avoid one of warmest period in Thailand and - of course - the Pattaya's Songkran smile.png

Songkran & hooligans don't match IMHO... sad.png

• Like 1

after balking for the umpteenth time at the cambo border.i have to make new plans

last years Songkran food store
bakedbeans x 5
tinned peas 3
tinned corn 3
big bottled water 5
wosterchire sauce
lilly mayo 1
broad beans 2
wasabi peas 5
unif drinks in a box 12
ivy drinks in a bottle 12
chips x 4 big packs or 8 small
hanami x4
boiled eggs
fruit bananas coconut
tuna 3
rice in a plastic box 8

roza packets 6

got me through. only 5 days here.

still time to do the usual penang or singapore

no way i would do any thai tourist destination. some places in thai are moderately sane and its only a day or two. even southern china near the laos border is not safe.

shall see.

Edited by OUKKIE waan KANER

There are 10 of us just landed we aint going anywhere we have come to water fight no surrender no hiding away, lock up your daughters the scousers are here.

Will you still be able to get your benefits if you do not tell the social you are away on the rob
  • Like 1

A vulgar post has been removed:

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

Please re read the forum rules which you agreed to when you signed up to the forum they can to be found HERE

not sure but usually leave

farang usually ARE the worst

maybe time to explore areas unseen

there is always the option to stay with complete and total abandon and surrender

or actually buy a gun and play!

up to you

up to me

sometimes in the utmost times of chaos magic CAN happen

I am leaving Pattaya (to live up-country) just before Songkran, and Songkran upcountry is only 2 days biggrin.png

Still, you are risking your life if your'e driving. Stay safe,

• Like 2

I detest Songkran.

In Jomtien it really only lasts for 2 days, or perhaps 2 and a half. I regularly have fresh food for 2 or 3 days in my fridge so being at home for the duration isn't an issue at all.

But last year some clown installed a very loud outdoor speaker system not far away and that was very unpleasant, even though the noise did end quite early in the evening.

So this year if I see signs of that speaker system being installed I will leave town for the last two days.

• Like 1