Only the cheaper beer goes up in price

wump

Try Cheers - no headache the next day.

SL

Agree, I consider Cheers one of the more tasteful beers available in Thailand and at 45 Baht for a 640cc bottle, also the cheapest beer available. It's produced by Heineken, and in my opinion has a similar taste.

Other than cheers I also may drink San Miquel light, tiger light and carlsberg, but since they are all 25% more, I buy cheers on the few occasions I buy beer.

Edited by Anthony5

This post is full of misinformation.

First of all, Cheers is 48 in Family Mart and in 7-11. It is not 45 Baht anywhere (maybe in some Tops where they forgot to change the price after the increase). It is 46 in Big C, but who brings the beer from the hypermarket....

Second, it is 630 ml, not 640.

Third, it is not the cheapest, Archa is cheaper at 45 Baht in Family/Seven

Fourth, it is of course not brewed by Heineken but by the same brewery that also brews Heineken under license... that doesn't mean it has anything to do with it.

I have never seen anyone making this many beer facts mistakes in 1(!) sentence!! 1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-LbP_e

Edited by wump

Okay, so let's start arguing over the internet since you called me an idiot.

In my Tesco Cheers has been 46 Baht for at least the past 6 months or so while Archa is 45. Even if single bottles of Archa and Cheers would be the same prices in some places, in MOST places Cheers is more expensive and it is never cheaper than Archa anywhere. Not that I'm saying Archa is drinkable. But my point is, the statement "Cheers is Thailands cheapest beer" is simply not true.

I could go on to say that even Red Horse is cheaper @47 vs. 48 for Cheers in Family Mart.

I still don't see the Heineken point... it doesn't taste anything like it. Do you also say Tiger (brewed in the same place) tastes like Heineken then? The company is a joint venture so it is not all owned by Heineken. And even if the brand is owned by Heineken, the fact that they have an extra brand would be the first indicator that it doesn't taste the same... why would they need the other brand otherwise? To cash in twice?

Okay, so let's start arguing over the internet since you called me an idiot.

In my Tesco Cheers has been 46 Baht for at least the past 6 months or so while Archa is 45. Even if single bottles of Archa and Cheers would be the same prices in some places, in MOST places Cheers is more expensive and it is never cheaper than Archa anywhere. Not that I'm saying Archa is drinkable. But my point is, the statement "Cheers is Thailands cheapest beer" is simply not true.

I could go on to say that even Red Horse is cheaper @47 vs. 48 for Cheers in Family Mart.

I still don't see the Heineken point... it doesn't taste anything like it. Do you also say Tiger (brewed in the same place) tastes like Heineken then? The company is a joint venture so it is not all owned by Heineken. And even if the brand is owned by Heineken, the fact that they have an extra brand would be the first indicator that it doesn't taste the same... why would they need the other brand otherwise? To cash in twice?

why would they need the other brand otherwise? To cash in twice?

You just answered your own question. Many manufacturers, not restricted to breweries, have a premium brand ( read premium price ) but sell the exact same product under another brand also at a lower price.

This makes sense, because they have the product already on hand, and the customers of the lower priced brand would not consider the premium brand anyway.

You will also know that it doesn't cost more to produce Heineken as it cost to produce most other lagers in the same area, the price is set by the marketing.

As for the prices, look at the receipts, they are both from less than a week ago and that is what I have ever paid for it. Tesco and Big C prices are the same all over the country.

And by the way, Thai Asia Pacific brewery isn't a joint venture, it's fully owned by Heineken. Fail again.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390443890304578005900545698248

A two-month standoff over one of the most prized beer assets in Asia ended with a whimper Wednesday when a Thai billionaire gave Heineken NV full control over the venture in exchange for walking away with a handsome payoff.

In a complicated deal that left many bankers bewildered, Thai tycoon Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi said he wouldn't block Heineken's $4.5 billion bid for control of its Asia Pacific Breweries Ltd. joint venture with Fraser & Neave Ltd.

Edited by Anthony5

Maybe it has something to do with the size of the shop. You probably went to the superstore.

I drink Red Horse and Cheers all the time, but I had a Heineken last night, and you can believe me, the taste is worlds apart from Cheers. Go try yourself, you'll only waste an extra 24 Baht.

I don't agree with the part where "it doesn't cost more to produce premium". Maybe not a lot more, but it does cost more to get quality hops for example. Also, if you shorten the brewing process beer can be produced cheaper but it won't taste as good. I'm pretty sure that's no Heineken in them Cheers bottles. Do you also think there is Singha in Leo bottles? No way.

But the extra cost for premium is rather small and it in no way justifies the huge price difference... which is what this thread was originally about. The large difference they had in the past years wasn't justified at all and now that it is slowly being eroded I find myself switching to "premium" more often.

Then the nationwide pricing can't apply. I go to the one on Soi Buakhao like twice a week and it's always been 46 Baht there except for a very brief period a long time ago where the price was also lowered by one Baht in 7 and Family Mart.

<deleted>

Edited by CharlieH

Post removed

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

you should stop drinking cheap beers and start drinking tiger beer.

Stop being a cheap charlie ..... there's enough of those in thailand already !!

Ah yes, Tiger Beer ... the shining beacon of 'quality' amongst beers

Maybe he likes Chang? I love Singha, thanks

He can spend his money on whichever beer he wants, surely. Some people really go out of their way to not 'be cheap' and then think this elevates them somewhat ... you're still in Thailand it's cheap as chips so I'd climb down from that ivory tower. You're not Donald Trump ;)

Well, disregarding Archa (you wouldn't want to be seen in public with this one) Tiger really is the cheapest small beer now... so "stop drinking cheap beer and start drinking Tiger" is a bit of a contradiction :).

Adding my two baht: being a lower Suk captive I notice the following prices last December for the big bottle of Cheers:

46 baht at Foodland Suk soi 5

46 baht at Villa Mart Suk soi 2 and 11

45 baht at Tops Suk soi 19

For this price it is sold WARM. I noticed at Foodland that the same item cost a little more if you buy it chilled. That could explain part of the price difference people are quoting. I normally purchase a few warm bottles and bring them back to the hotel frig to chill, and then consume my 'one a day' in the evening.

I tried another of the lower priced beers awhile back and did not like it. After further review the label said it was made from rice (?) instead of wheat (Archa maybe) I really don't remember the brand name.

SunLover

• Like 1

I would think that all Thai beers use rice as part of their ingredients... apart from Heineken as they use an international recipe without rice - which is also why it tastes different to Cheers.

This post is full of misinformation.

First of all, Cheers is 48 in Family Mart and in 7-11. It is not 45 Baht anywhere (maybe in some Tops where they forgot to change the price after the increase). It is 46 in Big C, but who brings the beer from the hypermarket....

Second, it is 630 ml, not 640.

Third, it is not the cheapest, Archa is cheaper at 45 Baht in Family/Seven

Fourth, it is of course not brewed by Heineken but by the same brewery that also brews Heineken under license... that doesn't mean it has anything to do with it.

I have never seen anyone making this many beer facts mistakes in 1(!) sentence!! 1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-LbP_e

So you want to accuse me of spreading lies and misinformation on the forum?

Let's see.

Below are the receipts from only a few days ago from Big C and Lotus Express on a purchase of Cheers beer.

post-222439-0-08330700-1427026824_thumb.

Do they say 45 Baht? Indeed so that means Cheers is effectively sold for 45 Baht Nationwide

First accusation FAIL

Archa can also be had at 45 Baht at selected places, but since we are talking about beer, second accusation FAIL.

Cheers not brewed by Heineken?

Cheers is brewed by Thai Asia pacific breweries.

http://www.tapb.co.th/en/background

Thai Asia Pacific Brewery (TAPB) was established in Thailand in 1993 and began operation in 1995. Currently, TAPB employs over 300 people at its Bangkok offices and brewery in Nonthaburi.

TAPB began brewing and marketing Heineken in Thailand in 1995. In 2004, it started brewing Tiger, the most successful Asian beer in terms of export volume which has also won more than 40 international awards. In 2005, TAPB launched Cheers, a high quality beer with smooth-but-intense flavor, targeting consumers who favor high quality beer at a more affordable price.

Now look who fully owns Thai Asia pacific breweries.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390443890304578005900545698248

A two-month standoff over one of the most prized beer assets in Asia ended with a whimper Wednesday when a Thai billionaire gave Heineken NV full control over the venture in exchange for walking away with a handsome payoff.

In a complicated deal that left many bankers bewildered, Thai tycoon Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi said he wouldn't block Heineken's $4.5 billion bid for control of its Asia Pacific Breweries Ltd. joint venture with Fraser & Neave Ltd.

Yup Heineken fully owns the brewery, so another FAIL.

As for you remark about the 630cc, it was very recently reduced from 640cc to 630cc, so recently actually that most shops still have the 640cc on their price tags.

So who is spreading misinformation ?

I would think that all Thai beers use rice as part of their ingredients... apart from Heineken as they use an international recipe without rice - which is also why it tastes different to Cheers.

Please stop spreading misinformation on the forum, not all Thai beers use rice as ingredient, in fact Cheers beer uses 3 different quality hops.

http://www.tapb.co.th/en/brands#Cheers

• Cheers Beer is specially developed in Europe for Thai drinkers
    • Selective ingredients from Europe.
    • Special blend of 3 premium quality hops to produce the unique flavour that Thai drinkers love.
  • Cheers Beer is an international quality beer at an affordable price
  • Cheers Beer is brewed with a World Class brewing process and production standards at one of the most modern breweries in Asia
  • Like 1

That probably explains why Thai beers generally give me a headache. For some reason Cheers does not. I have tried Singha and Chang and Tiger multiple times to prove it out but for me it's no dice. I will sometimes buy the Heineken but for the price difference your get 3C vs. 2H so with no compelling preference and in the spirit of stocking up I usually talk the path of least resistance.

SL

Did you seriously rewrite your whole post?

I answered your points already.

1) This point goes to you, as it obviously can be bought for 45 Baht somewhere

2) I was right on this one. The fact that your receipt already shows 630ml proves that is has been like that for quite some time as they always take ages to update their systems

2) This goes to me, as explained earlier Archa is never more expensive than Cheers anywhere which makes Archa the cheapest beer of the country. Your point of not calling Archa a beer is invalid.

3) Okay, the brewery might be in the process of being taken over by Heineken completely, although that ownership graphic on your link looks really confusing to me. "Control" only means 51% but I give you this point as I really don't know.

So this stands at 2:2. Everybody is a winner and we can all sleep well now?

Edited by wump

Please stop spreading misinformation on the forum, not all Thai beers use rice as ingredient, in fact Cheers beer uses 3 different quality hops.

• Special blend of 3 premium quality hops to produce the unique flavour that Thai drinkers love.
  • Cheers Beer is brewed with a World Class brewing process and production standards at one of the most modern breweries in Asia

So where does it say anywhere in there that no rice is used? And whats has hops got to do with it? There is hops in every beer. Rice is only used to substitute some or all of the barley in the beer.

Victim of marketing speak, are we?

Did you seriously rewrite your whole post?

I answered your points already.

1) This point goes to you, as it obviously can be bought for 45 Baht somewhere

2) I was right on this one. The fact that your receipt already shows 630ml proves that is has been like that for quite some time as they always take ages to update their systems

2) This goes to me, as explained earlier Archa is never more expensive than Cheers anywhere which makes Archa the cheapest beer of the country. Your point of not calling Archa a beer is invalid.

3) Okay, the brewery might be in the process of being taken over by Heineken completely, although that ownership graphic on your link looks really confusing to me.

So this stands at 2:2. Everybody is a winner and we can all sleep well now?

2) It has been reduced to 630CC about 2 months ago, when they designed the new labels.Probably they reduced the size to keep up withe the 45 Baht price nationwide.

3) This thread is about BEER. It is clear from the below Thaivisa thread that most members don't consider Archa in the category BEER.

Multiple similar comments available all over the web. Google is your friend

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/554671-beer-in-thailand/

4) Heineken owns Cheers since 2005, that is 10 years

Edited by Anthony5

So where does it say anywhere in there that no rice is used? And whats has hops got to do with it? There is hops in every beer. Rice is only used to substitute some or all of the barley in the beer.

Victim of marketing speak, are we?

Well they seem to have forgotten to inform you that they also use Barley.

Here is another Thai beer from the same brewery, you notice where the Barley comes from?

http://www.tapb.co.th/en/brands#Tiger

• Quality is the most important factor to support Tiger Beer in its attempt to capture the hearts of Thai beer drinkers. The key ingredients are imported from the worlds highest quality sources:
    • Hops are from Germany
    • Yeast is cultured in Holland
    • Barley comes from Australia

2) So because the size was reduced 2 months ago, that makes your point valid?

3) and because some random guys with a fine taste don't consider Archa a beer because they are used to proper beer back home, that makes Archa no beer? There is also LOTS of expats who do drink Archa. If it is no beer, what is it then?

Your arguments are getting ridiculous just for the sake of wanting to be right.

As for your last post:

I mentioned barley in my post?!

And you do understand the difference between 'key ingredients' and 'ingredients'? A "Rotten Thai Rice from Thailand" listed on the key ingredients where they want to show off certainly wouldn't be a selling point.

2) So because the size was reduced 2 months ago, that makes your point valid?

3) and because some random guys with a fine taste don't consider Archa a beer because they are used to proper beer back home, that makes Archa no beer? There is also LOTS of expats who do drink Archa. If it is no beer, what is it then?

Your arguments are getting ridiculous just for the sake of wanting to be right.

As for your last post:

And you do understand the difference between 'key ingredients' and 'ingredients'? A "Rotten Thai Rice from Thailand" listed on the key ingredients where they want to show off certainly wouldn't be a selling point.

As for your last post:

Maybe you have Alzheimer, but do you remember this quote of you in post #50 ?

Rice is only used to substitute some or all of the barley in the beer.

By the way I give up replying to you , because in your other thread about beer, it was pointed out already by several members to you that you have no idea what a decent beer actually is.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/808261-why-is-swedish-beer-in-7-11-the-same-price-as-local-beer/

It obvious you haven't learned anything yet since.

I said you can substitute some of the barley in beer with rice. Now where is that wrong in why do I have Alzheimers? You say Tiger contains barley from Australia but that doesn't mean it can't also contain any rice.

And because people bash someone in an online forum doesn't make what they say right at all. It's just opinions. I don't care about opinions - even if it is the opinions of the majority - but about facts. Facts can be proven, opinions are just that, opinions.

I said you can substitute some of the barley in beer with rice. Now where is that wrong in why do I have Alzheimers? You say Tiger contains barley from Australia but that doesn't mean it can't also contain any rice.

And because people bash someone in an online forum doesn't make what they say right at all. It's just opinions. I don't care about opinions - even if it is the opinions of the majority - but about facts. Facts can be proven, opinions are just that, opinions.

How about posting some facts?

So far I have seen only deluded opinions of you, not a single fact that you have posted.

For your information, a fact is something you proof with hard evidence, not something you dream up.

Over and out.

I said "I would think they all contain rice" which is what I am thinking, not a fact. You started attacking my post and said "I should stop spreading misinformation".

You tried to post information from their website and I merely pointed out that it is written quite vaguely so it could still contain rice. I'm not saying it is a fact that it does, it might not.

Don't get too worked up about it.

Edited by wump

2) It has been reduced to 630CC about 2 months ago, when they designed the new labels.Probably they reduced the size to keep up withe the 45 Baht price nationwide.

Complete BS... I just bought a carton produced on 29/11 and guess what the size is!!!