Foreign Tourists Allegedly Dumped on Tollway by Thai Taxi

Lite Beer

I took taxis millions of times since 25 years in Bangkok.

Millions. Let's see. We'll start with the minimal 2,000,000 ... seeing as it's "millions"

2,000,000 / 25 years = 80,000 trips per year.

That's 6,666 trips a month.

1,666 per week

238 trips per day!

Wow! I bow to your superior experience.

If the "s" on "millions" was a typo and it was just 1 million times ... that's still an impressive 119 trips per day!

• Like 1

That's disgusting. Obviously they just arrived in Thailand and 30 minutes out of the airport they get treated like that. This rotten mango taxi driver stinks up the whole orchard; great PR for TAT! I hope they got his taxi number and reported him at least. I feel so sorry for those people. Me personally? I wouldn't have got out.

Has anyone considered that this could be the fault of the tourists? Maybe the tourists refused to pay the highway toll, because they thought that the taxi driver was cheating them. Not everyone knows that they are supposed to pay the toll themselves, and not the driver. The story about the driver missing a turn, and not wanting to turn back seems a little far fetched.

It's not really far-fetch given that there are some taxi drivers who do not give a damn at all.And even if they didn't want to pay the toll way like you suggested, there's a toddler w them.The driver could have just add the toll way fee later on, at least if the tourists didn't agree they won't be dealing w it on an express way.

My parents, who are in their 70s were in a taxi going to the airpot, when the taxi stopped and demanded 800 baht for the trip. If they didn't pay they, and heir suitcases were being left on the tollway. I suspect this is what happened and not that he missed the turning.

The foreigners look like they shoestring travellers and would rather walk than pay a whopping $10 -20 more. They should have paid and when they gt to the airport or wherever they were going reported the cab..Who knows, they probably lit up a joint in the cab or something.

I was in Bangkok last week and all the cab drivers I got were very decent

Khun Phaen, Geez, what the hell do hippies have to do with this? So what if they're going to Khao Sahn - if they've the money. I'm sure they must have $ if they got in the cab in the first place - at the airport, just arriving in Thailand? If not they would have taken the train. The idiot taxi driver is a criminal period. If they are hippies, they appear to be fairly clean, have money, and a family. Is your neck red?

That's disgusting. Obviously they just arrived in Thailand and 30 minutes out of the airport they get treated like that. This rotten mango taxi driver stinks up the whole orchard; great PR for TAT! I hope they got his taxi number and reported him at least. I feel so sorry for those people. Me personally? I wouldn't have got out.

Don't jump to conclusions.

What are the taxi driver like where you are from? How do they deal with tourists who can't speak to them? Oh wait a minute, you'll be saying next that all Thai taxi rier should speak English :cheesy:

Not surprised at all sadly, The lunatics that wish to treat foreigners this way appears to be on the Increase!!

I want to add to it by warning foreigners using the mini vans from Victory Monument to Pattaya regardiung driver attitudes towards us. This past Wednesday March 18th myself and Thai partner used this service (van 19) just after 1pm en route to Koh Larn. The driver never offered assistance as to where to place my suitcase so I just bundled it into the van near to where I was sat at the very rear. Let's say 1 hr into the trip he pulls over the van on the busy highway, starts looking in the mirror and talkinbg in Thai, others around me, all Thai seem bemused and wondering what's going on? He then turns around from his driving position and looking back in my direction continues to say something. Finally I assume he is directing his issues at me and ask 'what' in Thai whilst shrugging my shoulders as if to say what is your problem? Then my Thai partner says he wants us to be quiet and no talking???? What??? Again, the other Thais In the van whisper disbelief, my partner says we just stop, he's crazy we say nothing. We were talking privately, very quietly as to not disturb others or let prying Thai ears in on whatever we wished to speak about and this lunatic wants to show some type of power at the wheel and threaten to throw us out?? She had never witnessed anything like this so just be warned to shut your mouth when using these maniacs! My anger was bubbling when I realised what he was trying to do, attempted to eyeball him via his mirror immediately after and continued to do so but he never once looked back again, nobody in the van dared talk the rest of the trip and we ended up being the last 2 on the van before being dropped off at the pier so you can only guess what a change in attitude pervailed when he had no back up around him? Exactly, looked like a rabbit in the headlights he did, we politely got out and I just said goodbye Mr Happy and Increase your dossage tonight :-)

Last time I used a Victory Monument minibus I would have loved to have been dropped off on the Motorway. Absolute maniac of a driver!

have to agree minibus drivers are crazy....the worst are the ones who do the visa runs.

Roughly 110 taxi's per day.. Sounds like a fulltime job. Hope you have the correct visa will be the next comment or WP.

Sent from my c64

Another nail in Thailands tourist-coffin.........................coffee1.gif

In respect to which demographic? Backpackers?

Wealthy tourists use the AoT limo service from the airport or rely on hotel transport services.

Tour groups rely on pre arranged transport.

Experienced travellers avoid these scenarios and are not worried about the risk.

People travelling with their Thai wives/concubines/ inlaws/toyboys/ etc. will leave it up to their Thai companions to deal with it.

If one does not allow oneself to look vulnerable and knows where he or she is going, and maintains the facade, the risk is reduced.

These events happen to a certain demographic.

I am not dismissing the incident, just saying that this has zero impact on tourism.

• Like 1

This story has a lot of holes (unanswered questions).

What is the yellow fender in the right of the picture? The taxi?

If so, why is he still there? How did they get their back packs on so quickly, including the baby?

Maybe the story is quite different. Maybe the yellow fender vehicle just stopped to pick them up.

It looks to my eye that they are preparing to remove the load from their backs (to get into the pick up vehicle).

Facebook posting!!!! Maybe somebody was looking to get some of those silly "likes".

Cactual details would be nice on this thread.

• Like 1

Khun Phaen, Geez, what the hell do hippies have to do with this? So what if they're going to Khao Sahn - if they've the money. I'm sure they must have $ if they got in the cab in the first place - at the airport, just arriving in Thailand? If not they would have taken the train. The idiot taxi driver is a criminal period. If they are hippies, they appear to be fairly clean, have money, and a family. Is your neck red?

I took the train when I was going to Khao San Road in 1992.

I think they were asked for 70 baht for the tollway and they realized that this was 10 large bottles of water. Maybe they were Israelis, who try to sleep 10 to a room in KSR and many guesthouses refuse them.

I'm NOT a Thailand lover who considers this country as a paradise and its inhabitants as a superior race.

I had never any argument with any taxi driver. The worst case is when one pretends to do not have change (well, I went to a 7-Eleven).

Once, it happened a driver missed an expressway exit => he took the next U turn => he apologized then asked me the amount corresponding to the distance of the exit he missed.

Stop Taxi Driver Bashing please because this is the direct way to the Farang Bashing.

Well, by the way, about this incident, no report in serious press when it's so easy to find the driver AND the tourists, even if they are back already to Europe.

Wow. Way to defend the indefensible.

I recomment everybody to down load one of the following apps :Taxi reporter and DLT Check in from the Department of Land Transportation. Than you can take a pic and send it to the goverment with a complain. So, these bad guys get punished,or at least must pay fee.

• Like 2

I love how the local lynch squad has crucified the taxi driver based on a single photo.

It could represent any of the following...

1.The male farang noticed they were going the wrong way...got upset and demanded to be let out.

2. The farangs noticed the fare was getting a bit higher than their low class hippie budget allowed for and asked to be let out.,

3. They declared to the driver they had no money ... the driver kicked them out. (Fair enough)

Or ... the current opinion...

4. The driver was an insane nutter...lost face missing the turn off, didn't care about lost money....kicked farangs out.

xpost-218648-0-32901500-1426860640_thumb

I'm putting my money on number 2.

blink.png

Number 4 for me.

Not surprised at all sadly, The lunatics that wish to treat foreigners this way appears to be on the Increase!!

I want to add to it by warning foreigners using the mini vans from Victory Monument to Pattaya regardiung driver attitudes towards us. This past Wednesday March 18th myself and Thai partner used this service (van 19) just after 1pm en route to Koh Larn. The driver never offered assistance as to where to place my suitcase so I just bundled it into the van near to where I was sat at the very rear. Let's say 1 hr into the trip he pulls over the van on the busy highway, starts looking in the mirror and talkinbg in Thai, others around me, all Thai seem bemused and wondering what's going on? He then turns around from his driving position and looking back in my direction continues to say something. Finally I assume he is directing his issues at me and ask 'what' in Thai whilst shrugging my shoulders as if to say what is your problem? Then my Thai partner says he wants us to be quiet and no talking???? What??? Again, the other Thais In the van whisper disbelief, my partner says we just stop, he's crazy we say nothing. We were talking privately, very quietly as to not disturb others or let prying Thai ears in on whatever we wished to speak about and this lunatic wants to show some type of power at the wheel and threaten to throw us out?? She had never witnessed anything like this so just be warned to shut your mouth when using these maniacs! My anger was bubbling when I realised what he was trying to do, attempted to eyeball him via his mirror immediately after and continued to do so but he never once looked back again, nobody in the van dared talk the rest of the trip and we ended up being the last 2 on the van before being dropped off at the pier so you can only guess what a change in attitude pervailed when he had no back up around him? Exactly, looked like a rabbit in the headlights he did, we politely got out and I just said goodbye Mr Happy and Increase your dossage tonight :-)

His normal farang passanger with partner probably drink beer and are totally obnoxious overweight, balding old men with young girls dressed like a ****** , showing off her tattoos. He's probably sick of the hearing, "tee rak, boom boom, poong, ting tong, or baa baa baw baw". Give him a break. Wear you wearing a beer Chang vest by any chance?

Neeranam, sawaht dee khrap,

And where are you from?

Sure, there could be things written in between the lines in this story of course, but I doubt it. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

No family should be left on the side of an expressway period. How about the police box or the roadside 7 eleven or whatever.

By the way, I live in Chiang Rai - 15 years or so. and I used to be a taxi driver in the U.S, and I've taken thousands of taxis in BKK and of course have encountered drivers who have tried to yin yang me, fortunately my Thai was an asset and I could tell him "bpai khun Police reh o reh o" or something whilst pulling out my phone and start taking photos of his license etc. This family didn't deserve this.

• Like 1

Anyone surprised ?

No and they shouldnt be now, this is "The new Thailand" greed corruption selfishness..............its not odd cases its becoming the majority way...........complain and get this, complain and we'lll run away from any work we are doing for you, complain and die.

Taxis still refusing people regularly also.....no change

Loved the post about the taxi driver who took one poster to his house for a shower and a free meal. I met 2 or 3 people in my life (seriously) that pretty much did that for me as well. However, I have no time or inclination to write about the hundreds of times where I was not a beneficiary of a foreign taxi driver.

There are two times I considered the taxi as a viable option.

1. My wife and I flew into bangkok early one morning. The daughter of my wife is in prison (*drugs*) for ten frigging years. An otherwise normal girl, who was gang raped and ended up dating one of these dogs who convinced her that selling drugs for the gang would give her financial independence. Now the gang still roams free while she does their time. Anyways, we were doing a surprise birthday visit at the women's prison near Bang Sue. My wife told the taxi driver to take us to the Women's prison...from Don Mueang. Two hours later, I noticed we were heading towards Burma. He had somehow decided there was no Woman's prison in Bangkok, and without asking, engaged my wife in a lengthy conversation and took us on tour of the country side. Meter was running. I finally had to mention that we were nowhere near Bangkok or Bang Sue. He apologized and turned off the meter. He said we would only have to pay half. That was 800 baht for a 50 baht (10 minute) trip. I opened the door while he was still driving, and forced him to stop. My wife was to nice, and apologized..but I saw the scam. The driver made us late, and we were forced to stay overnight in a hotel and lost our return flights as well. Total damage was about 5000 baht, and a missed birthday for a young prisoner.

2. Next one was a bus ride from Korat. I was going to Don Mueang for a flight to see my son in the Philippines. The bus stopped near the airport, and I got my backpack and tried to get off. One man did get off, but I was physically restrained....and told I could not leave the bus. The thai man was already out, and I was blocked by the ticket guy and the driver. AFter one hour, we arrived, in heavy traffic at the North bus station. I was told to line up for a taxi. I refused and started walking. Several taxis tried to get me in, but I walked, in 100 degree F weather to the highway. I was so upset, I decided not to give any of these thugs even 2 baht. Totally exhausted, I finally gave up and got a taxi off the main highway. He made fun of my Thai and tried to school me on how to pronounce Don Mueang airport (as if he did not know). Then he circled around the airport for two more hours

I love how the local lynch squad has crucified the taxi driver based on a single photo.

1.The male farang noticed they were going the wrong way...got upset and demanded to be let out.

2. The farangs noticed the fare was getting a bit higher than their low class hippie budget allowed for and asked to be let out.,

3. They declared to the driver they had no money ... the driver kicked them out. (Fair enough)

4. The driver was an insane nutter...lost face missing the turn off, didn't care about lost money....kicked farangs out.

blink.png

Number 4 for me.

4 for me too way more likely than anything else

• Like 1

And just how true is this story considering the source - can you just imagine a farang guy with wife and child in tow accepting a polite request (probably in Thai) to vacate a taxi on a motorway - yeah right something that happens everyday in Thailand.

Does this picture answer your question??attachicon.giftollway.jpg

No it doesn't - how / why did the guy and family leave the cab --- an armed threat of violence or did they do it from the goodness of their heart.

Would be interesting to hear the story from the passengers of the in's and out's

I'm trained in martial arts, but if somebody is weirding out yelling (politely???) at me to get out, I would.

Taxi drivers frequently carry guns, right?

I'm not nearly so brave nor insightful as Artisi, I guess.

Edited by papa al

I recomment everybody to down load one of the following apps :Taxi reporter and DLT Check in from the Department of Land Transportation. Than you can take a pic and send it to the goverment with a complain. So, these bad guys get punished,or at least must pay fee.

Not only complain, you can give a good verdict for the drivers that behaves and do a good job. I do that a lot.

I'm NOT a Thailand lover who considers this country as a paradise and its inhabitants as a superior race.

I had never any argument with any taxi driver. The worst case is when one pretends to do not have change (well, I went to a 7-Eleven).

Once, it happened a driver missed an expressway exit => he took the next U turn => he apologized then asked me the amount corresponding to the distance of the exit he missed.

Stop Taxi Driver Bashing please because this is the direct way to the Farang Bashing.

Well, by the way, about this incident, no report in serious press when it's so easy to find the driver AND the tourists, even if they are back already to Europe.

Wow. Way to defend the indefensible.

I agree with EnzoRippo with a similar amount of experience. I've only had 2 incidents with drivers. Once when I was drunk and thought he went the wrong way and pretended to have a gun in the back and threatened to shoot him. When he stopped he punched me in the face which I reciprocated. Then he came out with a crowbar but my Bruce Leee stance scared him off. Another time was when going to Samu Sakhon he asked for 150 baht extra as we were going out of Bangkok. I Said stop, I'm getting out and paid the fare and took a new taxi. He shouted obscenities at me.

These days they are all very friendly as I speak Thai and some Isarn. Last week the driver from the airport had such a laugh he turned a 240 fare into 200 and said it was a pleasure meeting me. The one to the airport talked about how times have changed in the last 25 years and we agreed it was much more fun without the meters. These are hard-working decent men bar a few of course.

Same here, almost 20 years and so far (thank heavens) I have not come across those crazy drivers.There were just 3-4 times when the taxi drivers were annoyed for not wanting to take a U-turn which they said was far. I usually just ask them to stop and get another cab as I don't like entertaining negative energy;p

3. They declared to the driver they had no moneyarrow-10x10.png ... the driver kicked them out. (Fair enough)

blink.png

Number 4 for me.

4 for me too way more likely than anything else

4, or 5.

5 5 5

Happened to me a long time ago. It was 2000 and a friend, a thai lady and myself were traveling from Nong Khai to Bangkok. We came into Don Mueang and were taking a taxi to the Ambassador hotel. A short time after leaving the airport I noticed that the driver had not started the meter. He told us that he would charge us lump sum. (I have forgotten how much) I informed him that he should turn on the meter as we were going to pay the amount on the meter not a lump sum. After a few words he pulled over on the road where there was room to get out and told us to get out. We told him that we were not getting out here. His choices were take us to the Hotel or back to the Airport. After trying to convince us to get out which we were not going to do he took us back to the airport. My friend stayed in the taxi while I unloaded the baggage from the trunk so he would not drive off with it. Then we all were out I paid him what I told him I would. There was nothing on the meter so that is what he received. He got nothing.

• Like 2

Neeranam, sawaht dee khrap,

And where are you from?

Sure, there could be things written in between the lines in this story of course, but I doubt it. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

No family should be left on the side of an expressway period. How about the police box or the roadside 7 eleven or whatever.

By the way, I live in Chiang Rai - 15 years or so. and I used to be a taxi driver in the U.S, and I've taken thousands of taxis in BKK and of course have encountered drivers who have tried to yin yang me, fortunately my Thai was an asset and I could tell him "bpai khun Police reh o reh o" or something whilst pulling out my phone and start taking photos of his license etc. This family didn't deserve this.

Where I come from we say "fit like" NE Scotland.

Do you not know how to say "police station" in Thai after 15 years? Hardly an asset.

I know this is very frustrating for these taxi drivers as most only got as far as vacational school.

• Like 2