SURVEY: Should the Gov't Continue Cleaning up Tourist Areas?

Scott

SURVEY: Should the Gov't Continue to Clean up Tourist Areas?  

277 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

they like money to much in thailand , so the only way to make move the things is that they have to pay when they don't respect the law , and not 500 baths , much more . live the beach and don't take your shit with you ( plastics and others ) 5000 baths , eat drink on the street and put your shit on the road 5000 baths , the same for the shit of the horses , don't respect the injections on the roads ( U turn when it's write no U turn , cut the road , , burn the red light , stay on the second way when the first is free , drive the wrong side of the road , stay on the second lane and brake at the moment to turn to the left , don't let the other turn to the right when you are stop in the traffic , use the lane to go right and go straight in the traffic , and and and ........minimum 5000 baths , they will think before do something wrong . they have to learn about respect for each other , and not be selfish as they are , they only think about " ME " . learn to live together in harmony , but i think i ask to much , maybe in 100 years .

The problem with their efforts is that they are focusing on the tourists and not the tourist areas. LOL

The root of the problem is the sex trade. Get rid of that and the unsavoury tourists will go somewhere else.

They are trying to clean up tourist areas by random searching and drug tests. Why not focus on the Thais hmmm??

They just can't admit the problem is with themselves.

Edited by EmptyHead

Like so many things in Thailand, the ideas are there, the laws are there in many instances, whats missing is someone to actually enforce them, instead of taking the path of least resistance and the occasional envelope to look the other way. That's what needs addressing, consistency in action and enforcement, not every area doing there own thing.

Agree with you. An other problem is nature doesn't like emptiness. After an area is cleared it should be developed for better use, usually more upmarket businesses which will make sense as Thailand wants to attract more high quality tourists. But most landowners are too lazy to do anything as the money coming from rent to hawkers is good enough for them and foreigners are not allowed to invest so nothing will happen and beach vendors will come back.

Yes, continue the cleanup but don't stop there. Here's your To Do List and get cracking: Add newer and better trashcans everywhere with lids--and, more of them especially on the beaches. Round up all the stray dogs--Jomtien has hundreds and hundreds of them. Fix the broken, uneven sidewalks and remove all the vendors, signs, poles, old phone boxes, junk, etc. that litter them and make it so unpleasant to take a walk. Fix all the street lights that don't work--large stretches of Jomtgien Second Road do not work. Station traffic police at every major intersection. Get public transportation up and running in Pattaya. Hire meter maids to ticket illegally parked cars and give them a stiff fine--not this 200 baht nonsense. Buy beach sweepers and clean the beaches daily. Stripe and repair the roads. Buy new and more attractive traffic barriers. Add connecting streets in Pattaya and Jomtien. Lengthen the no parking curbs at intersections so more traffic flows through. Get police out walking assigned beats. Eliminate parking on narrow streets and build some public parking on empty, unused lots. Prohibit large buses and trucks with more than 4 wheels on narrow streets. Start putting electrical wires underground and in the meantime raise the ones that hang dangerously low. Hire an oversight team to approve any city work that has been done before contractors are paid--all work now being done in Pattaya is shoddy and half-assed. Be more responsive to citizen suggestions and complaints.

• Like 1

The root of the problem is the sex trade. Get rid of that and the unsavoury tourists will go somewhere else.

You're joking, right? You really cannot be that uninformed and empty-headed..........despite your name.

I am not joking and thank you for the compliment.

I have gone to Dong Tan Beach here in Pattaya for 9 years .... most every day! I do NOT see packing the chairs together like a sardine can a form of 'clean up'! People are practically having to sit on top of each other and it has made it very uncomfortable! If the government wishes to 'clean up', they should begin with the constant trash in the water!

I totally agree with you JR.

The 'intervention' here on Dongtan Beach has obviously been done with no understanding whatsoever of what actually needed to be cleaned or re-arranged.

Apparently 4 chair owners were denied their license or 'operation tolerance' whatever it's called, because they had bought their concessions recently, after it had been made clear that transfer of 'property' was no longer possible.

Then the army told the remaining chair owners to 'fill up the blanks' and the width of each concession was reduced. So yes, you are quite right, the result is now definitely a 'sardines' effect. In an area where there are many third or fourth-age pensioners who scream at the top of their lungs because they have a hearing problem, that 'sardines effect' is particularly troublesome.

The 're-arrangment' resulted in widening the portion of the beach that is chairless. It might 'please the eye' of some, but I don't know what other consequence there might be, because very few people choose to use that section. Who wants to sit on dirty sand, under the scorching sun, with no umbrella, no comfort and no service ? the answer to that used to be : the Russians, but even they seem to have either disappeared or moved to the chairs.

Edited by Yann55

Don't just do these for the tourists but for all Thais especially the footpaths that have been invaded by vendors. Do this for all Bangkok, not just on few selected spots. Made this a law that no vendors allowed on footpaths and that include motor cycles. Give the footpaths back to the people.

A definate No vote from me. Apparently Cheap Charlies off Sukhumvit Soi 11 has been shut down as par of the cleanup, yet it was on a walking street with ample room for people to pass.

I haven't been by CC's lately to see. But, if anything's happened there, it isn't likely related to the DAYTIME ban on street vendors on lower Sukhumvit Road.

CC's isn't on the main road, and there's been no daytime vendor ban on the side sois like where CC is/was -- just the main road only.

I stopped at CC's about 3 weeks ago for a beer, it was certainly open then.

They had a rope out on the side Soi asking people to stand inside, that was about it.

A definate No vote from me. Apparently Cheap Charlies off Sukhumvit Soi 11 has been shut down as par of the cleanup, yet it was on a walking street with ample room for people to pass.

I haven't been by CC's lately to see. But, if anything's happened there, it isn't likely related to the DAYTIME ban on street vendors on lower Sukhumvit Road.

CC's isn't on the main road, and there's been no daytime vendor ban on the side sois like where CC is/was -- just the main road only.

I stopped at CC's about 3 weeks ago for a beer, it was certainly open then.

They had a rope out on the side Soi asking people to stand inside, that was about it.

Three weeks is a long time. I walked past 2 weeks ago and it was not open.

the cleanup is a front for the army(police,district office ,tourist police) to collect money (to fight the next election..or for their personal use?)

There is no transparency in the way the money is collected so it is inevitable that some is pocketed along the way.

Sort out what happens to the revenue collected and kicked up the chain of command.

Forget your land taxes - if you properly manage the way tea money is collected- you will have more cash than you know what to do with

and make it illegal for government representatives to form "partnerships" with local business - otherwise they will endeavour to corner the market,reduce competition and ignore conflicts of interest to the detriment of everybody..

The last time I was at Hua Hin, I noticed no beach chairs or umbrellas. It looked a little bleak. I don't know if they needed a cleanup but they did need a little re-ordering. In Pattaya, it used to be pretty chaotic and hard to find a place if you didn't want to rent a beach chair.

They are back in force including jet skis. The restaurants are there as well. I ca post pictures of the mess that Hua him is again.

There were 64 jet skis parked at Patong Beach 2 out of 4 days this past week. The 10% umbrella zone is a joke, the parasailing/jetski thugs control large portions of the beach where visitors are not allowed to go. The pushy vendors are all over the place along with the garbage. No garbage bins to be seen, and the tuk tuk mobsters park wherever they want controlling parking spaces along with the slimy motorbike rental people. The illegal land encroachment continues, with one resort owner rebuilding an illegal road with impunity and another land owner ripping out a replanted mangrove area because he claims the land.

Let me know when the clean up starts and someone corrupt is actually charged and convicted.

No one of them realy get charged !

they bribe them out,

and the official Orbotor needs their 2nd income bitterly to finance thei luxury life !!

Its all a bluff frm prim for media !!

Thailand is born corrupt and will die corrupt !!

Never mind the tourist areas ,,,,What about the rest of the Country with the blocked footpaths & blocked roads from the venders and so called markets, the permanent double illegal parking,traffic rules ignored,cops to lazy to do their Job of Policing traffic rules & regulations ,,,What about the supply of rubbish bins and some education to the people to clean up their rubbish ,,,, All this and more,,,,

It is like beating a dead horse NOTHING is getting done beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

Jomtien

the beach vendors are doing it tough

NOW chairs and umbrella's must be off the beach at 6.30pm

I used to sit there having something to eat and drink until 8-9 PM and then leave a tip or pack the stuff up myself but now cannot.

If theyre caught its a fine of up to 2000 baht

so it is hurting these vendors and I cant enjoy the beach / sunset / food /

In the USA there is a fine for tossing anything out of a car along a road, let alone taking a piss like some tax drivers stopping under a overpass or etc......isn't bad enough that Thailand pollutes more than........... I have black dust from the factory North of me, I have dry eye as the Dr. in eye area...... says to me. Soon will be like China, Can't see anything.