Primary school bans kids from watching solar eclipse for ‘cultural and religious’ reasons

Lite Beer

Primary school bans kids from watching solar eclipse for ‘cultural and religious’ reasons

LONDON: -- A primary school in West London has admitted to banning children from watching the first solar eclipse of the century because of concerns over “cultural and religious” sensitivities.

Students at North Primary School in Southall were not allowed to view the rare cosmic event outside, but were instead made to watch on TV screens in the classroom.

Ealing Council, the local authority, said each school was responsible for its own policies concerning the eclipse.

Parent Phil Belman, whose 7-year-old daughter goes to the school, accused them of giving in to “superstition.”

Belman said: “This morning I heard for religious and cultural reasons the kids were going to be banned from any part in the eclipse.”

He said he rang the school to demand an explanation from head teacher Ivor Johnstone.

“I was put through to him straight away and he confirmed it, religious and cultural reasons. I said that was totally outrageous. I asked him to elaborate and he refused,” Belman said.

“I am extremely upset about it. My child went in having spent an hour preparing and making up her pinhole camera. This is an issue about scientific matters versus religious superstition.

“I am outraged – is it going to be Darwin next? We will be like mid-America,” he added.

Johnstone said in a statement: “The school made this decision when we became aware of religious and cultural concerns associated with observing an eclipse directly.”

“Although we are sorry for any disappointment, pupils were still able to watch the eclipse on screens in classrooms. However, the overcast conditions in West London today meant they would not have been able to see it live in any case.”

North Primary School, which has no religious affiliation, has yet to elaborate on which religions or cultures deem looking at a solar eclipse to be offensive.

When RT contacted the school, a spokesperson said it had “no comment.”

Source: http://rt.com/uk/242681-school-bans-watching-eclipse/

--RT 2015-03-21

Please read and admire............and don't forget this comes from the Christian faith and the UK.

The entire country is on alert for power surges, internet blackouts and chaos on the roads from 9.30am tomorrow as the moon passes in front of the sun.But according to some religious commentators the timing - http://www.express.c...on-end-of-world

Thank the Lord........we are still alive and kicking.

• Like 2

Superstitious Thais blame attempts by Rahu, the mythical god of darkness, to swallow the sun, hence the eclipse. They beat Rahu off with drums and other noisemakers and it seems to work!

They don't cower in schools or other hiding places, but face the evil Rahu head-on in full confrontation mode.

I think the UK's nanny education system is being over-cautious, as usual. I hope they have got this sorted out by the time the full solar eclipse comes around in 2090.

• Like 2

"I am outraged – is it going to be Darwin next? We will be like mid-America?"

Wake up and smell the coffeecoffee1.gif

It's worse, much worse. England has been in the dark ages . . .

well, since the dark ages.

ph34r.png

What do you have against Mexico?

• Like 1

Superstitious Thais blame attempts by Rahu, the mythical god of darkness, to swallow the sun, hence the eclipse. They beat Rahu off with drums and other noisemakers and it seems to work!

They don't cower in schools or other hiding places, but face the evil Rahu head-on in full confrontation mode.

I think the UK's nanny education system is being over-cautious, as usual. I hope they have got this sorted out by the time the full solar eclipse comes around in 2090.

One school with one head teacher. Yet again a London school.

This clown should be told to fully explain his decision - and then appropriate action taken based on his explanation.

i would love to know what “cultural and religious” sensitivities. were actually given preferably by the comment maker

indeed, the very fact that they wont specify makes it all the more ludicrous.

• Like 1

Idiotic Britain. Crap like this just confirms that leaving was a good thing.

Idiotic Britain. Crap like this just confirms that GB lags far behind in some of the comments/suggestions i hear/read

from a country in which i now reside

Tell 'em not to watch the eclipse directly because it could blind them if they don't have the proper equipment- they may and may not listen.

Make it about culture and religion, and perhaps a few more kids may keep their eyesight by watching it on the TV screens in the classroom- instead of through a pinhole in a piece of paper.

Apologize after the fact for the mis-understanding.

Doesn't sound so stupid to me...

Tell 'em not to watch the eclipse directly because it could blind them if they don't have the proper equipment- they may and may not listen.

Make it about culture and religion, and perhaps a few more kids may keep their eyesight by watching it on the TV screens in the classroom- instead of through a pinhole in a piece of paper.

Apologize after the fact for the mis-understanding.

Doesn't sound so stupid to me...

From the OP:

“I am extremely upset about it. My child went in having spent an hour preparing and making up her pinhole camera. This is an issue about scientific matters versus religious superstition.

Oh, my goodness. I wonder who is against the sun and the moon crossing paths?

Fact: Al Lah is a/the Moon God! This is indisputable and its traces are seen in the ubiquitous though not-endorsed use of the crescent and star to represent Islam, generally (Ottoman). The potential sensitivities offended may not have been islamic at all; I concede that. But it would be asking too much for me not to suspect this was the case as it is now every day, everywhere, that there is strong arm opposition to all things (perceived) injurious to muslims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah_as_Moon-god

(Note: Some hold that Sin was the Moon God, but I find the evidence highly suggestive it was Al Lah/Al Lat of Kaaba).

Sol Invictus was the Sun god, though there were many names. Indeed, Sunday was chosen for the christian sabbath in no small part because of Constanine's syncretism between the nascent Christians and his Sol Invictus. A wise politician, it has been argued he blended the two faiths to enhance his power. Right here, a potential conflict exists for the world's Flat-Earthers to object to children noting this wonderful natural event of moon and sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus#Sol_Invictus_and_Christianity

I knew it wouldn't take long before the Islamophobes put in their tuppence worth.

I sort of doubt that I. Johnstone is as knowledgeable in the subject as you....kudos to you for your vast insight....but I suspect Mr J is just an overly-PC school marm type who did not have Islam specifically in mind.

I could be wrong...and will stand to be corrected...but having served on a couple of school boards of governors, I am familiar with the mindset of some career teachers.

My bet; He's just a PC goody goody who can't see the bigger picture.

His heart was in the right place though...in a sense.

North Primary School, which has no religious affiliation, has yet to elaborate on which religions or cultures deem looking at a solar eclipse to be offensive.

Idiots, the world is filled with idiots. If they feel strongly enough to do this then they have an obligation to EXPLAIN.

• Like 1

Well, what's the problem? For those who are for religious reasons still convinced the earth is a disc (like an Egyptian Imam stated last year) the entire phenomenon does not exist anyway...

Edited by Lupatria

Fact: Al Lah is a/the Moon God!

I knew it wouldn't take long before the Islamophobes put in their tuppence worth.

Indeed; though Muslim parents of children attending the school would not agree with arjunadawn. But he probably believes he knows more about their religion than they do!

From the Daily Mail

Khairoe Islam, whose son goes to the school, said: 'I'm Muslim myself and in my religion it doesn't say we can't watch it.

'I don't know anything about it but if they say it's because of religion maybe they could have spoken to those people who had a problem and let the other kids enjoy it.

'It shouldn't be spoiled for the rest of the school.'........

It is not yet clear exactly what these concerns are, but Christian ministers have raised fears that this eclipse could signal the end of the world, or a judgement from God.

Some Hindu scriptures say that an eclipse makes believers impure.

And fundamentalists believe that they need to bathe immediately after an eclipse and chant the name of God to overcome the forces of darkness........

Mohammed Babar, whose five-year-old daughter Zahra is a pupil at the school, said: 'There is no cultural reason that I am aware of. If that's what they said then it would surprise me.'

As it happens, heavy cloud cover over London at the time meant they wouldn't have seen anything, anyway; other than it getting a bit dusk like for a while.

Meanwhile, in paces where the sky was clear enough to see trhe eclipse, our old 'friends' Health and Safety raised their heads!

One example from several.

Just wonder if head teacher Ivor Johnstone was a

teacher in Thailand before taking up his present job?

The UK has had superstitions long before Thailand ever existed as a country.

I just hope you're not a history teacher. wink.png

• Like 2

So.....

A primary school in West London has admitted to banning children from watching the first solar eclipse of the century because of concerns over cultural and religious sensitivities.

I have extensive religious knowledge spanning over 30 years and I have never heard this before but let's say they are correct.

Students at North Primary School in Southall were not allowed to view the rare cosmic event outside, but were instead made to watch on TV screens in the classroom.

They did in fact watch it though on TV screens, which makes the excuse of cultural and religious sensitivities obviously laughable.

• Like 1

time to stop teaching, you just might offend something or other...just stay at home and stop being a person, that would be safe and uninsulting, maybe there is even a stipend from the government forthcoming to nurture this benevolent state of being of it's citizens.

Fact: Al Lah is a/the Moon God! This is indisputable and its traces are seen in the ubiquitous though not-endorsed use of the crescent and star to represent Islam, generally (Ottoman). The potential sensitivities offended may not have been islamic at all; I concede that. But it would be asking too much for me not to suspect this was the case as it is now every day, everywhere, that there is strong arm opposition to all things (perceived) injurious to muslims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah_as_Moon-god

(Note: Some hold that Sin was the Moon God, but I find the evidence highly suggestive it was Al Lah/Al Lat of Kaaba).

Sol Invictus was the Sun god, though there were many names. Indeed, Sunday was chosen for the christian sabbath in no small part because of Constanine's syncretism between the nascent Christians and his Sol Invictus. A wise politician, it has been argued he blended the two faiths to enhance his power. Right here, a potential conflict exists for the world's Flat-Earthers to object to children noting this wonderful natural event of moon and sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus#Sol_Invictus_and_Christianity

I sort of doubt that I. Johnstone is as knowledgeable in the subject as you....kudos to you for your vast insight....but I suspect Mr J is just an overly-PC school marm type who did not have Islam specifically in mind.

I could be wrong...and will stand to be corrected...but having served on a couple of school boards of governors, I am familiar with the mindset of some career teachers.

My bet; He's just a PC goody goody who can't see the bigger picture.

His heart was in the right place though...in a sense.

You do know the Islamic calendar is a Lunar calendar?