Primary school bans kids from watching solar eclipse for ‘cultural and religious’ reasons

Lite Beer

i would love to know what “cultural and religious” sensitivities. were actually given preferably by the comment maker

The king of the PC brigade doesn't speak to just anyone,you have to be a black illiterate Muslim with 8 kids on social welfare to get his attention.

Oh, my goodness. I wonder who is against the sun and the moon crossing paths?

Fact: Al Lah is a/the Moon God! This is indisputable and its traces are seen in the ubiquitous though not-endorsed use of the crescent and star to represent Islam, generally (Ottoman). The potential sensitivities offended may not have been islamic at all; I concede that. But it would be asking too much for me not to suspect this was the case as it is now every day, everywhere, that there is strong arm opposition to all things (perceived) injurious to muslims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah_as_Moon-god

(Note: Some hold that Sin was the Moon God, but I find the evidence highly suggestive it was Al Lah/Al Lat of Kaaba).

Sol Invictus was the Sun god, though there were many names. Indeed, Sunday was chosen for the christian sabbath in no small part because of Constanine's syncretism between the nascent Christians and his Sol Invictus. A wise politician, it has been argued he blended the two faiths to enhance his power. Right here, a potential conflict exists for the world's Flat-Earthers to object to children noting this wonderful natural event of moon and sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus#Sol_Invictus_and_Christianity

I knew it wouldn't take long before the Islamophobes put in their tuppence worth.

I sort of doubt that I. Johnstone is as knowledgeable in the subject as you....kudos to you for your vast insight....but I suspect Mr J is just an overly-PC school marm type who did not have Islam specifically in mind.

I could be wrong...and will stand to be corrected...but having served on a couple of school boards of governors, I am familiar with the mindset of some career teachers.

My bet; He's just a PC goody goody who can't see the bigger picture.

His heart was in the right place though...in a sense.

You do know the Islamic calendar is a Lunar calendar?

That is important to know because the way the PC zealots are bending over backwards for this lot we may be changing calendar's soon

Fact: Al Lah is a/the Moon God! This is indisputable and its traces are seen in the ubiquitous though not-endorsed use of the crescent and star to represent Islam, generally (Ottoman). The potential sensitivities offended may not have been islamic at all; I concede that. But it would be asking too much for me not to suspect this was the case as it is now every day, everywhere, that there is strong arm opposition to all things (perceived) injurious to muslims.

(Note: Some hold that Sin was the Moon God, but I find the evidence highly suggestive it was Al Lah/Al Lat of Kaaba).

Sol Invictus was the Sun god, though there were many names. Indeed, Sunday was chosen for the christian sabbath in no small part because of Constanine's syncretism between the nascent Christians and his Sol Invictus. A wise politician, it has been argued he blended the two faiths to enhance his power. Right here, a potential conflict exists for the world's Flat-Earthers to object to children noting this wonderful natural event of moon and sun.

I knew it wouldn't take long before the Islamophobes put in their tuppence worth.

I sort of doubt that I. Johnstone is as knowledgeable in the subject as you....kudos to you for your vast insight....but I suspect Mr J is just an overly-PC school marm type who did not have Islam specifically in mind.

I could be wrong...and will stand to be corrected...but having served on a couple of school boards of governors, I am familiar with the mindset of some career teachers.

Wasn't PC Goody in The Thin Blue Line on the BBC a few years ago ? Sorry I digress.

You do know the Islamic calendar is a Lunar calendar?

Are you just starting a little informative chat, which would be nice but off topic, or was there something significant in your question?

PM me would be better if you want to chat.

Hindus this time, not Muslims.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11485958/Solar-eclipse-schoolchildren-banned-from-watching-on-religious-and-cultural-grounds.html

Sometimes known as Little India, Southall is a diverse community in west London with a large Hindi population.

Although headteacher Ivor Johnstone would not comment on what the ‘religious and cultural’ reasons were, some Hindu scriptures say that an eclipse makes believers impure.

And fundamentalists believe that they need to bathe immediately after an eclipse and chant the name of God to overcome the forces of darkness.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11485958/Solar-eclipse-schoolchildren-banned-from-watching-on-religious-and-cultural-grounds.html

Sometimes known as Little India, Southall is a diverse community in west London with a large Hindi population.

Although headteacher Ivor Johnstone would not comment on what the ‘religious and cultural’ reasons were, some Hindu scriptures say that an eclipse makes believers impure.

And fundamentalists believe that they need to bathe immediately after an eclipse and chant the name of God to overcome the forces of darkness.

Fancy screwing with scientific education for the sake of this mumbo jumbo.

• Like 1

Nine times out of ten in the UK, this kind of thing is to avoid offending muslims.

Then we have the PC brigade who try to tell us why we are wrong to blame them and give us some lame excuse.

A 'lame' excuse like the fact that Muslim parents at the school have said it's nothing to do with them or Islam?

From the Daily Mail, (hardly a woolly PC, afraid to upset Muslims paper!)

Khairoe Islam, whose son goes to the school, said: 'I'm Muslim myself and in my religion it doesn't say we can't watch it.

'I don't know anything about it but if they say it's because of religion maybe they could have spoken to those people who had a problem and let the other kids enjoy it.

'It shouldn't be spoiled for the rest of the school.'........

It is not yet clear exactly what these concerns are, but Christian ministers have raised fears that this eclipse could signal the end of the world, or a judgement from God.

Some Hindu scriptures say that an eclipse makes believers impure.

And fundamentalists believe that they need to bathe immediately after an eclipse and chant the name of God to overcome the forces of darkness........

Mohammed Babar, whose five-year-old daughter Zahra is a pupil at the school, said: 'There is no cultural reason that I am aware of. If that's what they said then it would surprise me.'

• Like 1

Idiotic Britain. Crap like this just confirms that leaving was a good thing.

Idiotic Britain. Crap like this just confirms that GB lags far behind in some of the comments/suggestions i hear/read

from a country in which i now reside

if only you were even vaguely comprehensible. if only.

Although headteacher Ivor Johnstone would not comment on what the religious and cultural reasons were, some Hindu scriptures say that an eclipse makes believers impure.

Which is to do with the BEING an eclipse not WATCHING an eclipse. In any case, why then were the children allowed to watch it on TV?

I would venture to guess that the reason for watching it on television was to make sure there was no damage to the eyes. I think this principal got his stuff mixed up. Because someone calls who happens to be from an ethnic group, it doesn't mean the reason for their concern is due to cultural factors.

Time will tell. Hopefully there will be an explanation.

Please read and admire............and don't forget this comes from the Christian faith and the UK.

The entire country is on alert for power surges, internet blackouts and chaos on the roads from 9.30am tomorrow as the moon passes in front of the sun.But according to some religious commentators the timing - http://www.express.c...on-end-of-world

Thank the Lord........we are still alive and kicking.

"Please read and admire............and don't forget this comes from the Christian faith and the UK."

Nice of you to just quote the first sentence without elaborating on the actual context, never mind, I'll do it for you.

"on alert for power surges" -

"Energy network regulators are on heightened alert for a sudden power surge tomorrow morning due to a plunge in solar generation.

The total lack of sunlight will lead to a fall of around 850 megawatts of energy - enough to boil 300,000 kettles - which would otherwise have been harvested by solar panels.

The National Grid tonight sought to allay fears of a meltdown insisting the event will be “entirely manageable”.

Forecasting manager Jeremy Caplin said: “This loss of solar is entirely manageable and will be largely offset by demand suppression.

“We started planning for this in May last year and have a range of tools in place to manage any effects of the eclipse and balance the network, including demand side services and extra generation.”

Please explain the relevance/connection to the Christian faith?

"internet blackouts"

"On October 24, 1995, a total solar eclipse in Asia coincided with a 3.7-magnitude quake which rocked the Yunnan district of China.

Solar events are also linked to electrical disturbances and disruption in services including internet and communication networks.

Tomorrow’s event comes days after a massive solar storm which measuring four on a 1-5 scale unleashed a severe geomagnetic storm."

Again, please explain the relevance/connection to the Christian faith?

"chaos on the roads"

"Rush-hour drivers have been warned not to be distracted by the eclipse amid fears slowing down and taking eyes off the road to watch could spark mayhem."

One more time? Oh go on then, please explain the relevance/connection to the Christian faith?

And a final quote from the article comes from the Royal Automobile Club:

"RAC spokesman Simon Williams said: “In the unlikely event that the British weather allows people to actually see the moon moving across the sun, any motorist on the move should keep their eyes firmly on the road otherwise they could end up remembering the eclipse for all the wrong reasons.”

Nice bit of British humour I thought.

I really have had it by now with all this political correctness bull$#it, gender mainstreaming, tolerance towards people who proved to be the most intolerant ones over the past 2.000+ years and all that blind dogooder activism... it does more damage than good. Time for a change!

I would venture to guess that the reason for watching it on television was to make sure there was no damage to the eyes. I think this principal got his stuff mixed up. Because someone calls who happens to be from an ethnic group, it doesn't mean the reason for their concern is due to cultural factors.

Time will tell. Hopefully there will be an explanation.

Johnstone said in a statement: “The school made this decision

when we became aware of religious and cultural concerns

associated with observing an eclipse directly.”

Then you come along and say:

"...... it doesn't mean the reason for their concern is due to cultural factors." facepalm.gif

Scott - I recon as Moderator you should moderate and not comment,

especially if that comment makes no sense.

Edited by JoeLing

And what about not respecting the religion and cultural practices of the druid children in the school.

or maybe

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=77492/mastery-total-eclipse

If I was the headmaster I may have considered not allowing outside watching as it is very hard to stop children observing directly even if warned. This however smacks of polical correctness gone overboard.