Too often in and out travelling causes problems in Suvarnabhumi

I am a Euro-pean living with retirement visas in Banglamung for a few years without problems. Last September I left for Europe without prolonging my 1-year-visa and reentered Thailand with a 30-days-permission stamp. Since then I left Thailand five times to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia for about 6 days each time. I enjoyed being slightly forced to travel in these wonderful neighboring countries. When arriving in Thailand I asked the immigration officer each time if there would be problems for me to come often to Thailand. "No porblem" was always the answer. But this time, March 19, the immigration officer took me to a separate room where I got questioned. They filled in a form where I had to write down the name of my (Thai) daughter, the name of her company, my European address (which I have not). The whole process took about 20-30 minutes, friendly, but slightly intimitading. I had prepared for such an encounter my yellow house book, an outdated letter of my bank stating 800.000 THB to prove I belong to the "value-tourists". Everything was copied, passport, photos put in the computer file, and finally I got the 30-days stamp as a tourist but was advised (or ordered) to get a non-o-visa.

They told me there was a new regulation they had to follow for "cases" like me. There was no hint what they would do next time I would visit Thailand in 35 days if I had no visa. No comment if I was doing something wrong. Just the usual Thainess leaving me between right or wrong.

You reached the alert level of 6 entries apparently.

With yout short trips out of the country and spending the entire 30 days allowed before leaving you appeared to be an in/out visa runner.

You should consider getting an extension of stay based upon retirement again if you plan on staying here.

Or go out for a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos.

Thank you Ubonjoe. I was not aware there is an alert level. My next travel is planned for Phnom Penh. Can I get a non-O visa there or should I better get a non-O visa in BKK. Or is it possible in Jomtien again like 7 months ago?

You can get the non-o in PP. You will need to show 800k baht in the bank.

You would still have to go to Bangkok 2 times to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa. You would need at least 15 days remaining on your entry to do it.

Can confirm that I had my first real enquiry from them today about 30 minutes ago. I flew in from KL (as opposed to directly from Oz) and the guy called over a supervisor. Fortunately I rotate my passports and had used my Brit for the last couple entries and the supervisor looked through the passport but saw the last one was January and said ok.

To fill the story out, I do about 2 weeks outside working and then 2 weeks here. Rinse repeat for several years. So I have a lot of stamps.

The officer today called out (in Thai) "over 5". So I'm guessing that means I'm a trip or two away from being told to get a visa. Which is fine if required but for 14 days, then 14 days etc, it's just a bit of a pain ...

But they are clearly looking now

Can confirm that I had my first real enquiry from them today about 30 minutes ago. I flew in from KL (as opposed to directly from Oz) and the guy called over a supervisor. Fortunately I rotate my passports and had used my Brit for the last couple entries and the supervisor looked through the passport but saw the last one was January and said ok.

To fill the story out, I do about 2 weeks outside working and then 2 weeks here. Rinse repeat for several years. So I have a lot of stamps.

The officer today called out (in Thai) "over 5". So I'm guessing that means I'm a trip or two away from being told to get a visa. Which is fine if required but for 14 days, then 14 days etc, it's just a bit of a pain ...

Your entries should not be a problem because you do not stay for the entire 30 days and are out of the country for more than a few days.

Staying for the entire 30 days and then leaving for a short period of time raises red flags when immigration looks at your entries.

Using 2 passports does not really help because they are linked in immigration's database.

Using 2 passports does not really help because they are linked in immigration's database

Two passport may help if they are two different nationalities, ie the poster has a British pp and an Aussie pp

as in a basic search it would be Nationality -> full name -> DOB

wink.png

With yout short trips out of the country and spending the entire 30 days allowed before leaving you appeared to be an in/out visa runner.

You should consider getting an extension of stay based upon retirement again if you plan on staying here.

Dear Ubon Joe !

This 6 entries are counted per Year / 6 months,

or just in a recent period and this 6 stamps in your passport ?

May i get same troubles,

I enter thailand about 5-6 times a year,

but usual one side trip to a neughbour country,

so i could get up to 10 entry stamps per year;

Would it be ok to split this entries on 2 passports,

or they check it on enter in Suvarnabhumi on their Immigration comp ??

Thanks Joe!

Your entries should not be a problem because you do not stay for the entire 30 days and are out of the country for more than a few days.

Staying for the entire 30 days and then leaving for a short period of time raises red flags when immigration looks at your entries.

Using 2 passports does not really help because they are linked in immigration's database.

Ok, they are passports from 2 different countries as I'm a dual citizen. Still linked?

Yes, she looked at the dates and said ok. Lots of smiling and straight through. Probably a 3-4 minute delay.

Dear Ubon Joe !

This 6 entries are counted per Year / 6 months,

or just in a recent period and this 6 stamps in your passport ?

May i get same troubles,

I enter thailand about 5-6 times a year,

but usual one side trip to a neughbour country,

so i could get up to 10 entry stamps per year;

Would it be ok to split this entries on 2 passports,

or they check it on enter in Suvarnabhumi on their Immigration comp ??

Thanks Joe!

I have no idea what the time period is for the alert and that is all it is. There is no rule limiting the number of entries.

As long as your entries are not of the type I mentioned previous they will not be a problem.

Immigration links passports under the same name and date of birth.

An oil and gas guy who was living on Phuket got allowed back in with a 'last entry no more, get a real visa' instruction from swampy.. Legit guy, verified working outside of Thailand.. Spending big.. The exact type that 'the rules' say should be fine..

He has now walked away from his Thai lie and set up shop in Phnom Penh.. Selling his motorbikes proving very difficult now he isnt able to show a current entry stamp also..

An oil and gas guy who was living on Phuket got allowed back in with a 'last entry no more, get a real visa' instruction from swampy.. Legit guy, verified working outside of Thailand.. Spending big.. The exact type that 'the rules' say should be fine..

He has now walked away from his Thai lie and set up shop in Phnom Penh.. Selling his motorbikes proving very difficult now he isnt able to show a current entry stamp also..

Hardly a problem considering he can come back at any time. He's not blacklisted.

I have a problem believing that intelligent, affluent people decides about where to live based on availability of visa exempt entry,

Hardly a problem considering he can come back at any time. He's not blacklisted.

I have a problem believing that intelligent, affluent people decides about where to live based on availability of visa exempt entry,

For guys in oil and gas.. Going elsewhere to get a visa simply isnt an option in monthly rotations.. Easy to say 'just do it' but it doesnt fit the lifestyle its rig to home.. Sure he could buy a TE card but he just felt if you dont want the money I spend, fine plenty other places do. He was still only in his first few years here.

As to be blacklisted.. No I doubt it.. I also have no idea what will happen if he tries to transit BKK which I think he may well wish to.. But he had some red scribble put on his stamp and told 'no more visa exempt entrys'.. People can choose to defend that, say they wont enforce, that, say the officer was wrong.. But thats the fact of it.

Hes not the first in my small circle of friend either.. Another legit worker told no more without visa had to go to uk to get a triple TR.. Despite being 'married' to a girl here for 10 years he piked a girl whose illegal immigrant father never registered her birth here.. So has only a forged Thai ID card and cannot legally marry.. Plus they now adopted an abandoned at the temple baby (presume burmese) so that big hearted lump has a lifetime of problems ahead of him.

Its easy to say 'theres no problems' but immigration isnt sticking to that, they are making people problems.. And once you have some red ink on a stamp.. Who wants to do 30 days on an oil rig, then 24 or 36 hours in airports, to have that whole rigmarole every month down to some officers whim, when you have done nothing wrong !!

For guys in oil and gas.. Going elsewhere to get a visa simply isnt an option in monthly rotations.. Easy to say 'just do it' but it doesnt fit the lifestyle its rig to home.. Sure he could buy a TE card but he just felt if you dont want the money I spend, fine plenty other places do. He was still only in his first few years here.

As to be blacklisted.. No I doubt it.. I also have no idea what will happen if he tries to transit BKK which I think he may well wish to.. But he had some red scribble put on his stamp and told 'no more visa exempt entrys'.. People can choose to defend that, say they wont enforce, that, say the officer was wrong.. But thats the fact of it.

Hes not the first in my small circle of friend either.. Another legit worker told no more without visa had to go to uk to get a triple TR.. Despite being 'married' to a girl here for 10 years he piked a girl whose illegal immigrant father never registered her birth here.. So has only a forged Thai ID card and cannot legally marry.. Plus they now adopted an abandoned at the temple baby (presume burmese) so that big hearted lump has a lifetime of problems ahead of him.

Its easy to say 'theres no problems' but immigration isnt sticking to that, they are making people problems.. And once you have some red ink on a stamp.. Who wants to do 30 days on an oil rig, then 24 or 36 hours in airports, to have that whole rigmarole every month down to some officers whim, when you have done nothing wrong !!

Agree on all that and I'm not saying "no problem". Just saying that Cambodia/Laos/Myanmar has a very different lifestyle from Thailand, which immigration difficulties can be remedied where there's a will. Of course if there is not, no point insisting.

In cases such as the one described, I find it entirely credible. The only practicable alternative would be a Thailand Elite PE visa. Certainly, with no opportunity to apply for a visa from the middle of the ocean, intelligent affluent people are not going to spend two days of their 14 day break applying for a tourist visa every month or so.

• Like 2

In cases such as the one described, I find it entirely credible. The only practicable alternative would be a Thailand Elite PE visa. Certainly, with no opportunity to apply for a visa from the middle of the ocean, intelligent affluent people are not going to spend two days of their 14 day break applying for a tourist visa every month or so.

• Like 2

It would not be every month. With re-entry permit(s) they would use an entry (of a double or triple entries visa) for two or three months. And even one visa entry would break the sequence of exempt entries, so immigration would have an even weaker case.

I stand my opinion - if one likes a country he should not be deterred by immigration, in this case we're talking about a warning not even a prohibition.

This is all very interesting !

I have a number of friends who work abroad and return to their wives/families on a regular (less than 30 days) basis using visa exempt entries.

Non of them have been "challenged" and all would be able to show at least 20,000 Bht cash and a ticket out if asked.

There is no restriction on properly used visa exempt entries.

Edited by nzexpat

I have a number of friends who work abroad and return to their wives/families on a regular (less than 30 days) basis using visa exempt entries.

It's a relatively recent warning that has been implemented in Immigration database. I think like three months or so.

Reports from DMK first, then HKT and CNZ, now BKK. At least one report from a land border also.

it was never publicized by Immigration. I suspect they try to enforce an unofficial "restriction" without going to have it reflected in the regulations, thing that would make singular considering that the similar limitation was repealed in 2008.

Another possibility is that what it was meant to help identify people trying to stay on visa exempt entries according to the policy announced July '14, is instead being misused to hassle people that has the right to make them.

Edited by paz

It would not be every month. With re-entry permit(s) they would use an entry (of a double or triple entries visa) for two or three months. And even one visa entry would break the sequence of exempt entries, so immigration would have an even weaker case.

I stand my opinion - if one likes a country he should not be deterred by immigration, in this case we're talking about a warning not even a prohibition.

I am not entirely clear on the rules for re-entry permits, so correct me if I am wrong. I do not think you can receive a re-entry permit on the first entry of a multiple entry tourist visa. This has never been suggested on this board as a solution for those who wan to make several entries without needing pre-booked tickets (as required by many consulates).

I am not entirely clear on the rules for re-entry permits, so correct me if I am wrong. I do not think you can receive a re-entry permit on the first entry of a multiple entry tourist visa. This has never been suggested on this board as a solution for those who wan to make several entries without needing pre-booked tickets (as required by many consulates).

I think it was reported to be doable. No personal experience from myself.

if someone have the funds to buy every month a ticket to thailand,

would also have the fund to buy a elite card for 5 years hussle free,

or starting oil workers now begging on the street ??

Er, O&G guys on rotation don't buy their own tickets every month, the company pays for them whistling.gif

to be honest the O&G guys who are married here and are still using the visa waivers, really should consider get their married extensions sorted out, yes know the visa waiver is easier, but getting an extension for marriage make more sense long term

"... if one likes a country he should not be deterred by immigration...". What one "should" do is up to them and not for me to decide what they "should" do.

I have no problem believing since it's not my business.

to be honest the O&G guys who are married here and are still using the visa waivers, really should consider get their married extensions sorted out, yes know the visa waiver is easier, but getting an extension for marriage make more sense long term

The complication with the marriage extension is that the rotation schedule may not allow the applicant to be in Thailand at the end of the 30-day under consideration period.

The complication with the marriage extension is that the rotation schedule may not allow the applicant to be in Thailand at the end of the 30-day under consideration period.

I am sure this is a pretty easy resolution, guys come back home early or go late offshore all the time, as long as it its sorted out with their back to backs, its not such a big problem, it only once a year...

Joe, this is the first time I've heard of a 6 entry alert. Can you clarify under what circumstances this is used?

Many thanks.

I am sure this is a pretty easy resolution, guys come back home early or go late offshore all the time, as long as it its sorted out with their back to backs, its not such a big problem, it only once a year...

Most people who are working off-shore can not just leave late or return early when on a 14/14, 28/28 rotation to comply with the 30 day under consideration.

I know rotators which are getting into problems when the extension is not approved on time or when they can not be back on time to get the remaining months.

To answer the other question, Yes you can get a re-entry stamp on a tourist visa.