January Tourism Up 16% One Year After Bangkok Shutdown

Jacob Maslow

Chinese 560.000

Asians 620.000

Russians 150.000

together 1.330.000 this is just the halv of 1,65 mill

so if this are the main tourist countreis,

from where are this other 1,3 mill tourists are coming ??

who trust this figures ??

You could bring in 10 million Chinese tourists and businesses would still be struggling cause as said many times, Chinese do not spend money. But it is no good trying to explain this to TAT or anyone else because you can't explain logic to stupid people who don't listen. Last year TAT sent out a campaign to try and attract more tourists. This campaign was not seen in Europe, America, Australia, New Zealand or anywhere other than China. If they want more people to come here and spend money, they need to target these countries. The government and TAT need to work with airlines to offer holiday packages, cheap airfares etc to entice people to come. Bali do it, cheap $100 airfares from Sydney/Melbourne, so this year many have gone there as they have many years before. The only people who can drive a campaign like this is both government and TAT but why haven't they?

• Like 1

This certainly is encouraging figures and is testament to the Junta that they are doing something right. In fact the highest ever tourist arrivals into Thailand were in December, 2014. Spectacular and again highlights that the narrative the Junta cannot control shows them in a good light. It also reinforces the fact that peace and stability foster tourism. Who would have guessed!

As for the conspiracy that this is a fake news story or "spin doctored" due to it showing the Junta in a good light then it seems the Bank of Thailand is in on the conspiracy too. Maybe I can add the Bank of Thailand to the ever growing list of entities the PTP demonize because they don't suit the "agenda"

PS - Notice the lowest ebb in tourism. Seems the Junta saved the industry for imploding.

post-140765-0-20990200-1427033380_thumb.

Edited by djjamie

Now I know the article addressed Jan 2015 tourism arrivals in comparison to Jan 2014 but to get a more complete view of tourism arrivals vs cherry picking of stats like the article may give, I downloaded the International Tourists Arrivals to Thailand by Nationality for 2014 and 2013 from the Dept of Tourism, Ministry of Sports and Tourism. Shows tourism down by 6.66% for all of 2014 in comparison to 2013. Based on general regions of the world here's how the report goes:

East Asia: -8.48% (within this group it shows Chinese tourists down by 0.29%)

Europe: -2.38%

The Americas: -5.31%

South Asia: -7.13%

Oceania: -7.31%

Middle East: -5.91%

Africa: +1.59%

Grand Total: -6.66%

See PDF attachment below for percentages by nationality/country within above mentioned regions. Hopefully tourism will recover in 2015.

Inter Jan_Dec 2014.pdf

I wholeheartedly agree with the poster above who focused on tourism revenues.

There is some great data from 2012 that reinforces a few concepts.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

Focusing on differences between tourists' region of origin...

In 2012, while more tourists came from ASEAN and East Asia regions, these tourists stayed on average only one week, while tourists from the Americas, Europe, and Oceania (AUS, NZ) stayed for two weeks.

The revenue per tourist per day was fairly even, regardless of region of origin, in the range of 4,000 to 5,000 Baht per day...

But because of their longer stays, tourists from Americas/Europe/Oceania spent much more than others per total stay.

And total revenues were highest by far from Europeans.

None of this is particularly surprising is it?

Yup great for Thailand, a massive increase in quality tourists from China. Gathering in the 1000's to take photos, shit all over the place and run around the airport half naked.

is this Thai understanding for Quality tourists ??

I wholeheartedly agree with the poster above who focused on tourism revenues.

There is some great data from 2012 that reinforces a few concepts.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

Focusing on differences between tourists' region of origin...

In 2012, while more tourists came from ASEAN and East Asia regions, these tourists stayed on average only one week, while tourists from the Americas, Europe, and Oceania (AUS, NZ) stayed for two weeks.

The revenue per tourist per day was fairly even, regardless of region of origin, in the range of 4,000 to 5,000 Baht per day...

But because of their longer stays, tourists from Americas/Europe/Oceania spent much more than others per total stay.

And total revenues were highest by far from Europeans.

None of this is particularly surprising is it?

No !!

Therefore Thai Airways cancelled every 2nd flight to Frankfurt, and some other destinations in EU too !!

Reduce the number of tourists and charge the other more !!

Profit calculation by Thai Businessman !!

It is cheaper to occupai a hotel with 50% than 100%,

you need only 50% of staff, so you can safe 50% on personal costs;

You get it ??

• Like 1

I have a feeling some of those people who used to put down Russian tourists are going to be eating their words once they get a load of the Chinese!

The Thai baht is currently one of the strongest currencies in the world. I would think it's not just the Russians who are questioning whether a holiday in Thailand is really worth it compared to someplace else with a more reasonably priced currency.

Yup great for Thailand, a massive increase in quality tourists from China. Gathering in the 1000's to take photos, shit all over the place and run around the airport half naked.

I have seen some really fine Chinese babes lately. If they were wandering around the airport half naked, that would be a treat.

They do seem to be taking up some of the slack. Personally, I prefer the Chinese to the Russian tourists by a long shot. Most of the Chinese are jovial, fun loving, and half way pleasant to be around. Cannot say the same for most of the Russian tourists.

And I have never seen it so busy on Samui. It is packed. January, February and March have been very busy.

Very surprising that tourism is up with these currency rates and rising prices (the Russians and many Europeans left already). Of course the CNY/THB rate hasn't changed much so Thailand is still cheap for the Chinese. Well Chinese or Russian...neither a great option I guess compared to Nordics for example who used to occupy the beaches of Thailand. The photos of thousands of Chinese tourists going wild in Thai resorts sure looks concerning.

Anyway the currency rates (for most western currencies except the USD) and the inflation is scaring off western tourists. They will for sure start to find other neighbouring countries to go to as the quality of Thailand as a tourist destination is going down. I mean the price of your vacation in Thailand has doubled in price in the past few years (especially if you count in EUR) and the quality has decreased at the same time!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Thais just can't figure it out. Tourism up, but they are all those shitty Chinese, who they don't want. How to attract quality tourists that come here, spend lots of money, respect Thainess and leave?? What is the formula?

I think the formula is to not be a bunch lying, scamming, racist pieces of crap and maybe pick up some of the garbage that is strewn all over the entire country. Just a stab in the dark, but maybe try it and see if it works.

• Like 1

The main point I don't see anyone addressing. As a hotel owner, we know that 10 years ago in Phuket over 50% of the tourists were Scandinavian, another 20-30% were from quality spender countries like UK.

Now that their numbers have declined, you have to run one more number:

• Average stay of Scandinavian or UK = 2-3 weeks
  • Average stay of Chinese = 2-3 days

So it will take a 7 fold increase in tourist arrivals to see the same number of Chinese tourist replace the former groups. That means Phuket International Airport will have to handle 7 times more flights along with Suvarnabhumi etc. Is it logistically possible?

So forget about tourist arrivals as being any indicator of the health of tourism.

• Look at total room nights stayed per visitor
  • Look at average spend per day per visitor

Then everyone will see tourism is off by 40% compared to the good ole days. And also a substantial number of Chinese are coming as vultures to pick up deals on properties being hurt by this disturbing trend.

Cheers

So What's the Deal ?

Is everyone stumped on my last comment.

I was hoping at least the author would reply.

So much for this forum. Bunch of lame speculators who don't have any real contact with business in Thailand. Try calling K-Bank SME to get the real story, they'll tell you every tourist related business in Thailand has been extended a one year grace period since last May....................

Maybe Thaivisa should consider finding a real editor for their stories.

So What's the Deal ?

Is everyone stumped on my last comment.

I was hoping at least the author would reply.

So much for this forum. Bunch of lame speculators who don't have any real contact with business in Thailand. Try calling K-Bank SME to get the real story, they'll tell you every tourist related business in Thailand has been extended a one year grace period since last May....................

Maybe Thaivisa should consider finding a real editor for their stories.

Well, if we were all as smart as you, we'd all be rich hotel owners.

• Like 1