Applying for retirement extension while abroad

Hi everyone. My retirement extension expires in July of this year but I will not be in Thailand at the time, and wont be coming back for at least a few months after that. I will be laeving Thailand in June, so should I even bother getting and paying for a reentry stamp since my extension will be expiring the next month anyway?

When I am ready to come back to Thailand, how far in anvance should I apply for the retirement extension in the USA? Tourist and A visas usually just take them a few days to prepare, but I have heard that retirement extensions take longer.

Thanks!.

Leaving in June. Extension expires in July. How many days between departure and expiration? If not too many, you could apply for your new annual extension before you leave and of course get a reentry stamp as well. That would be good until July XX of 2016.

There is no such thing as applying for a retirement extension while abroad. Those are only done in Thailand.

I assume you mean you are considering applying for an O-A visa while abroad.

You cannot get a retirement extension while abroad. You should apply for it while you are in Thailand, starting 30-45 days before expiration, together with a re-entry permit. The re-entry permit will be valid for the new extension, not the expiring one.

• Like 2

You cannot get a retirement extension while abroad. You should apply for it while you are in Thailand, starting 30-45 days before expiration, together with a re-entry permit. The re-entry permit will be valid for the new extension, not the expiring one.

I agree.

My current understanding is that ALL Thai immigration will do 30 days early, some will do 45 days early, and earlier than that you had better show up with proof of travel plans and there will be no assurance it will be accepted.

Edited by Jingthing

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Leaving in June. Extension expires in July. How many days between departure and expiration? If not too many, you could apply for your new annual extension before you leave and of course get a reentry stamp as well. That would be good until July XX of 2016.

There is no such thing as applying for a retirement extension while abroad. Those are only done in Thailand.

I assume you mean you are considering applying for an O-A visa while abroad.

It will be around 55 days between departure and expiration.If I apply for it before I leave, will they send it to me in the mail or will I get a blue slip and have to pick it up? That might be a problem.

Yes I would be applying for an O-A while abroad then applying for an extension when I come back to LOS.

Ok thanks. I just need to make sure its not more than 45 days. The big question is whether or not they will mail it to my address in Thailand.

It will be around 55 days between departure and expiration.If I apply for it before I leave, will they send it to me in the mail or will I get a blue slip and have to pick it up? That might be a problem.

You won't be able to apply then. Cannot mail extension, as these are stamps on your passport. You can obtain a single entry non-imm 'O' visa from an honorary consul in the US, then apply for the extension when you return. That could be simpler and cheaper than an O/A visa.

Edited by paz

What do you currently have in your passport if it is a extension of stay then you know it is stamps in your passport and not something they mail to you. With proof of travel most offices will probably doa early extension for you without diffculty most offices are usually user friendly.

If they will not give you an extension then get a non-o visa while in the states to extend when youreturn to Thailand

Yes I would be applying for an O-A while abroad then applying for an extension when I come back to LOS.

If you obtain an O-A you should be able to get almost 2 years out of it before you need to apply for an extension, provided you do a border run a couple of days before it is due to expire, whereupon you will be stamped in for a further 12 months. After you have undertaken this border run you will need to obtain a re-entry permit to keep your revised permission to stay alive in the event of any foreign travel which you may be planning during the second year.

Just go with ur plane ticket and ask them nicely and explain why u are asking for it early.

IN Bangkok my friend constantly gets his 2 months in advance as he needs to travel back early to work in Alaska.

Even here in phuket u submit everything morning an pick it up same afternoon.

It's still under two months so it is possible they would say yes with proof of travel. That's for the annual extension. It's worth a try I suppose but there is no assurance they will say yes. For a retirement extension at Thai immigration you should normally get the stamp in your passport the same day or next business day. Then of course you will then need a REENTRY PERMIT to protect that new year. That you could do at the same office or even at the AIRPORT before departure.

I know I will take a beating for not posting photo proof, but I met a guy from the US last week and he said he got his "retirement visa/extension" in Los Angeles. I assumed he was misspeaking and let it go. But he had some questions about the "enter before date" on his visa as he was traveling to Malaysia and Cambodia so I asked to see his documents. He had a "multi-entry" visa, I cannot remember if it was Tourist or Non Imm, and I could swear it said "retirement" but I am not 100% on that. The interesting part is that his entry stamp had a permission to stay one year from his entry. I asked how he acquired this and he said he applied for his retirement "visa/extension" in Los Angeles and when he arrived they stamped him in for one year. As I am no expert I did not challenge him but I thought this was impossible. Is it??

I know I will take a beating for not posting photo proof, but I met a guy from the US last week and he said he got his "retirement visa/extension" in Los Angeles. I assumed he was misspeaking and let it go. But he had some questions about the "enter before date" on his visa as he was traveling to Malaysia and Cambodia so I asked to see his documents. He had a "multi-entry" visa, I cannot remember if it was Tourist or Non Imm, and I could swear it said "retirement" but I am not 100% on that. The interesting part is that his entry stamp had a permission to stay one year from his entry. I asked how he acquired this and he said he applied for his retirement "visa/extension" in Los Angeles and when he arrived they stamped him in for one year. As I am no expert I did not challenge him but I thought this was impossible. Is it??

He has a OA visa.

It gives multiple one year entries for one year from the date of issue. By doing an entry just before the visa expires it can give almost 2 years of total stay.

It requires a medical certificate, a criminal back ground check and financial proof to get.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He "misspoke " and was badly informed !

He most likely was in possession of a Multi-Entry "O-A" long stay visa which does allow a one year permission to stay.

Edited by nzexpat

He has a OA visa.

It gives multiple one year entries for one year from the date of issue. By doing an entry just before the visa expires it can give almost 2 years of total stay.

It requires a medical certificate, a criminal back ground check and financial proof to get.

So, avoiding the term "retirement visa" since there is no such thing, is the O-A not basically what that is, considering one of the stipulations is

1. Copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum) or a deposti acocount plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht.

I know others (not knowing what visa they are on) who have applied for their retirement extension once here and the question I am left with is why? If this can be done in one's home country it would seem like making a 2 step, 2 country process a single application.

I know others (not knowing what visa they are on) who have applied for their retirement extension once here and the question I am left with is why? If this can be done in one's home country it would seem like making a 2 step, 2 country process a single application.

The extension in Thailand is cheaper and easier to obtain compared to 'O/A' visa.

The extension in Thailand is cheaper and easier to obtain compared to 'O/A' visa.

Completely disagree. Not necessarily cheaper or easier, depending upon your travel habits and which immigration office(s) you have to use, particularly when one can get two years' in Thailand (the first of which is multiple entry) by obtaining the O-A visa.

Edited by TheAppletons

Thanks everyone. I will try to apply early while I am here, and get a re-entry stamp at the airport as Im leavng. I already have proof of travel, so I will just see how it goes.

Please report back with whether they allow your application so early and also which office. That information can help others.

rolleyes.gif As has been said, you do not apply for retirement extensions in your home country.

What you apply for there would be a Non O visa for Thailand.

That would be based on your intent to retire in Thailand..... and it might be required to show financial proof of being able to meet the financial requirements you would have to meet when you get to Thailand using that visa for entrance to Thailand.

Once you are in Thailand you then apply for an EXTENSION of the visa that brought you into Thailand and ask for the extension of that visa based on qualifying for retirement.

That is done at your local immigration office where you live in Thailand.

Applying for the extension to retire in Thailand is normally done from 30 to 45 days before the visa that brought you to Thailand expires.... but different immigration offices in Thailand have their own local policies regarding how early they want you to apply for that extension before your visa expires.

It's a two step process .... first you get the visa from outside of Thailand to enter Thailand ..... then you apply for an extension based on retirement to remain in Thailand annually at your local immigration office.

Once you get the original Non O visa (from outside Thailand) you can then head for Thailand if you want .... no need to wait once you have the visa.

For example: I initially received a one year Non O visa.... reason "intention to retire in Thailand' in October 2010. then good for one year in Thailand.

I applied for a one year extension "for retirement" in September 2011.

I have been living here in Thailand on annual extensions since that first extension was approved.... renewed annually.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Completely disagree. Not necessarily cheaper or easier, depending upon your travel habits and which immigration office(s) you have to use, particularly when one can get two years' in Thailand (the first of which is multiple entry) by obtaining the O-A visa.

The extension is certainly cheaper.

O/A visa Bt 6,000 + 1,900 multiple re-entry for the 2nd year = Bt. 7,900.

Extension (two years) 1,900 x 2 + 3,800 x 2 = Bt 11,600

With the same re-entry rights, difference so far Bt 3,700.

BUTfor O/A the border run to activate 2nd year,, police records, medical certificate, and notarization are not free. their cost can much exceed Bt 3,700 - depending on the country. And the inconvenience of getting them makes so the extension is easier.

Edited by paz

BUTfor O/A the border run to activate 2nd year,, police records, medical certificate, and notarization are not free. their cost can much exceed Bt 3,700 - depending on the country. And the inconvenience of getting them makes so the extension is easier.

Your own math shows the O-A visa to be less expensive by 3700 thb.

Police record cost me 150 thb; medical certificate 180 thb; notarization 150 thb. None of those were difficult, time consuming, or inconvenient and everyone I dealt with spoke perfect English which made the transactions all that much simpler. Parking was abundant, there were no multi-hour queues, and the people I transacted with didn't ask for a bribe or make up new rules as they went along.

So the O-A visa was less expensive for me by about $100 U.S. and I received two years without having to step foot in a Thai immigration office (still haven't, btw.)

By contrast, one must make multiple trips to Thai immigration offices to do yearly extensions and spending an entire day - beginning at 05:00 a.m. standing in line - at the Chiang Mai Immigration office to obtain an annual extension is most certainly inconvenient, frustrating, and time consuming, especially when dealing with officials who tend to make up rules when they feel like it. (Many, many threads on this topic.)

Regarding the "border run" assumption - many of us enjoy leisure travel. There's no additional cost associated with the O-A visa by timing your next leisure travel trip to coincide with the expiration of the visa.

So yeah - for many people, the O-A visa is less expensive and more convenient.

• Like 1

I just received a multiple entry, non immigrant O-A and on the application my reason for the visa was retirement. Nowhere on the visa does it mention the word retirement but it does say 'employment prohibited" in the remarks area. I complied with all that is required for an O-A visa. Total cost in Los Angeles was $381. That includes the $200 fee to Thai Consulate.

What I question is: If I do a border run close to the end of the 1st year, is my 2nd year a non-immigrant O-A? Or does the second year become a different visa category?

It will be another entry on your valid O-A visa.

(Make sure you enter Thailand before the expiry date noted on the visa itself, not before the exiry day of your permissin to stay immigration gave you at the border. There is a differnece).

Police record cost me 150 thb; medical certificate 180 thb; notarization 150 thb. None of those were difficult, time consuming, or inconvenient and everyone I dealt with spoke perfect English which made the transactions all that much simpler. Parking was abundant, there were no multi-hour queues, and the people I transacted with didn't ask for a bribe or make up new rules as they went along.

So the O-A visa was less expensive for me by about $100 U.S. and I received two years without having to step foot in a Thai immigration office (still haven't, btw.)

By contrast, one must make multiple trips to Thai immigration offices to do yearly extensions and spending an entire day - beginning at 05:00 a.m. standing in line - at the Chiang Mai Immigration office to obtain an annual extension is most certainly inconvenient, frustrating, and time consuming, especially when dealing with officials who tend to make up rules when they feel like it. (Many, many threads on this topic.)

Regarding the "border run" assumption - many of us enjoy leisure travel. There's no additional cost associated with the O-A visa by timing your next leisure travel trip to coincide with the expiration of the visa.

Thanks for this information and comparison.

For what its worth, I would like to avoid ever having to make another border run for the rest of my life. The numerous times I have made them has been crammed in the back of a commuter van, life in peril every kilometer of the way. I know there are other ways to do it, but I would rather spend the whole day at immigration than in the back seat of a suicidal/homicidal driver smile.png

I just received a multiple entry, non immigrant O-A and on the application my reason for the visa was retirement. Nowhere on the visa does it mention the word retirement but it does say 'employment prohibited" in the remarks area. I complied with all that is required for an O-A visa. Total cost in Los Angeles was $381. That includes the $200 fee to Thai Consulate.

What I question is: If I do a border run close to the end of the 1st year, is my 2nd year a non-immigrant O-A? Or does the second year become a different visa category?

It's a normal entry stamp in your passport that says "Admitted until ______________". The immigration officer will fill in the date (it will be one year from the date you are entering) and then sign it. When you obtain a re-entry permit for the second year, that will be stamped separately.

You omit to mention the cost of a return flight back to your home country in order to obtain a fresh O-A there (there's virtually no prospect of your being able to obtain one in this part of the world as far as I can tell).

And your police record, medical certificate and notarisation figures sound rather optimistic to me. When I obtained my original O-A visa at the Royal Thai Embassy in London 7 years ago, the respective costs equalled 500 THB, 500 THB & 7,000 THB. On top of those was the Embassy fee which equalled 5,000 THB!

So even in 2008, the whole O-A application process set me back by 13,000 THB - equating to 6,500 THB for each of the 2 years during which I could use the visa. And I gather from recent reports on here from fellow Brits that related costs are now significantly higher.

On the other hand, the annual retirement extension of stay process sets me back by 4,500 THB (1,900 THB Immigration fee + 2,500 THB for the Embassy income confirmation letter + 100 THB for the TM7 mugshot).

Edited by OJAS