Former Pheu Thai MP Urges Junta to Resurrect Blanket Amnesty

Lite Beer

Former Pheu Thai MP Urges Junta to Resurrect Blanket Amnesty

By Khaosod Eng.

BANGKOK — A former Pheu Thai Party lawmaker has urged Thailand's ruling military junta to issue blanket amnesty to anyone convicted of "politically-related" charges over the past decade, a move attempted by the former government that sparked mass protests in 2013.

Somkid Cheukhon, a former Pheu Thai MP from Ubon Ratchani, said he was glad to see the junta express openness to granting amnesty to demonstrators from both of Thailand’s political factions who are facing charges or convictions related to protests in the past decade.

On Friday junta chairman and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said he would not oppose such a bill if it did not extend to criminal charges or cases of lese majeste (insulting the monarchy).

However, Somkid urged the junta go further and pardon anyone facing legal action for "politically-related" events since 2005, including protest leaders and politicians.

He also suggested the amnesty cover all charges, including criminal ones.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1427004461

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-03-22

typical ptp crap, they simply want thaksin and all their ministers and lackies let off because they know they have broken so many laws and are all corrupt. Cant help but laugh at the and criminal charges bit, shows exactly how pathetic the ptp really is

if only the Thai people could see it for what it is

PTP were removed from office because of this very idea and here we have another Thaksin scumbag opening his mouth with the same rhetoric, no wonder there is still marshal law enforced - these people need to be silenced of that there is no doubt

and on another headline Former Democrat MP calls on Prayut to reject charter draft

the only people calling foul on this new charter are former MP's from all sides and Thaksin activists who know that it will dilute their power base and actually make government fully accountable to the Thai people and the law for their actions making corruption extremely difficult, for me this is a clear indication that the new charter is going to do as intended,

if these people are going to actively call for the new charter to be rejected in a referendum then I say dump the referendum idea altogether and just get on with it as I have absolutely no interest in what ex politicians in Thailand have to say - they have had numerous chances to make a difference and haven't - they are nothing but filth and scum and are only interested in enriching themselves and their families - if the new constitution goes any way to inhibiting them then get it installed and active ASAP .................. and (deleted) the lot of them

When politicians speak, the truth is a direct opposite. The meaning to 'white men speak with forked tongues'.

• Like 1

typical ptp crap, they simply want thaksin and all their ministers and lackies let off because they know they have broken so many laws and are all corrupt. Cant help but laugh at the and criminal charges bit, shows exactly how pathetic the ptp really is

if only the Thai people could see it for what it is

and on another headline Former Democrat MP calls on Prayut to reject charter draft

the only people calling foul on this new charter are former MP's from all sides and Thaksin activists who know that it will dilute their power base and actually make government fully accountable to the Thai people and the law for their actions making corruption extremely difficult, for me this is a clear indication that the new charter is going to do as intended,

if these people are going to actively call for the new charter to be rejected in a referendum then I say dump the referendum idea altogether and just get on with it as I have absolutely no interest in what ex politicians in Thailand have to say - they have had numerous chances to make a difference and haven't - they are nothing but filth and scum and are only interested in enriching themselves and their families - if the new constitution goes any way to inhibiting them then get it installed and active ASAP .................. and (deleted) the lot of them

Why dump the referendum, if your thoughts are correct you should want to do the opposite. The only people voting against the constitution would be a few hundred ex politicians whilst the other 66+million Thais would vote for it - it would be a huge legitimiser and it would put beyond question any doubts about some of the more controversial aspects of the newly drafted charter. Admit it, if there is a referendum it would certainly get rejected and this is the only reason there is currently an attempt to deny the people a voice in the constitutions acceptance.

• Like 1

Just to bring a bit of context in, I would remind my fellow learned posters that blanket amnesties have been a commonly used way to diffuse political tensions in Thailand over the past 80 years or so.

So yes, maybe some people are asking for blanket amnesty because they've got a hardon for Thaksin, but just maybe they are also being informed by the former use of this particular method of solving conflicts.

By the way, don't get on my back as a supporter of blanket amnesties. Try to understand that I'm just describing something, not prescribing it.

< deleted > ... no one learns a damn thing here, or changes in any way, shape or form.

Ban ALL current and previous Politicians, Senators, lawmakers, etc and start with a clean slate. I know it's not practical, but I can dream lol

I despair of how blind and < you know what > so many people are here.

• Like 2

Why single out the PTP? There is enough blame to go around 2 or 3 times over. Why not start over with a clean slate.

Does anyone else suspect that he might be just a tad biased, or need the amnesty for himself, rather than proposing this for altruistic reasons ? whistling.gif

Tjeez man, don't you have any faith in people even if they're politicians from Pheu Thai party?

Mind you, I'm still waiting for a proper definition of 'political related charges'. I;m also still waiting for more details on 'amnesty for accused who are/were of the non-leader' (like UDD spokesperson Nattawut).

As it is it would seem someone is trying to get Thaksin and Yingluck of the hook only.

I don't know why Thaksin is so desperate to come back. He'll never hold the position of PM again. He won't be allowed to rule by proxy either.

You somehow seem to suggest that the former Pheu Thai MP urged to resurrect the 'blanket amnesty bill' only for Thaksin. Surely that can't be true ermm.gif

BTW after the general elections we'll have a democratically elected democratic government. That implies that even amnestied criminal fugitives can no longer run the government by proxy

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

But they are not adverse to amnesties now are they?

Thailand's junta has announced an interim constitution that gives itself an amnesty for staging the May 22 coup that overthrew the government of Yingluck Shinawatra.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/thai-junta-awards-itself-sweeping-amnesty-under-interim-constitution-20140724-zw8qq.html

Absolutely, and those wouldn't even be 'political related charges'. Obviously staging a coup to restore order is a real crime.

Interesting is that the 2006 coup leader tunred proper politician, won a seat in the general elections, joined the Pheu Thai led coalition and voted in favour of the blanket amnesty bill. Probably just to make double sure.

• Like 2

Sorry Somkid Charley.

Only the military is allowed to commit crimes against the people and get amnesty. Thainess is not about equality. It's about democratic soldiers who are above the law and have no respect for civilian soverneignty.

Next time you want to to form a government, make sure you have the military as your partner as insurance. Maybe a couple of new submarines for the navy and some double pay raises will catch the military's fancy.