Circular saw running backwards

TPUBON

Today I started my saw and noticed that it was running backwards. Looking at the blade, it should run clockwise. Cutting on the downward rotation. I used this saw and another before with no problem. Same house. The fans in the house all rotate in the proper direction. I am baffled. Any ideas?

Your cross ram inverter on your power pole connection is either loose or has been coroded. Has there been a lot of wind or loud noises in your area?

I've heard the recent solar flares have affected a lot of circular saw flux capacitors causing them to run backwards!

Seriously, the OP does have his blade on backwards. It should have the rotation and teeth toward the stock being cut, which means that the teeth are coming up on forward part of the saw.

• Like 2

I beg to differ....crossed ram influx is one of the biggest problems things like power tools and even aqauriums face here and its further complicated by an inferior ground. That only amplifies the issue.

Have to agree with other posters here sounds like the blade is on the wrong way round. You are talking about a hand held circular saw?

According to his original post the blade is cutting in an upward direction, which is correct. So the blade is not the wrong way around.

Maybe the markings on the blade are wrong - for his machine.

I just hope he doesn't turn the blade around and start cutting downwards. The first time the blade hits a hard spot that saw will jump out of his hand. It will not be pretty.

• Like 1

If he turns the blade around, nothing much will happen, as then he will cut upward with the teeth facing away from the board to be cut.

Chickenlegs is right.

If the OP has a circular saw that has the motor to the left side of the blade, a backward ( i.e. upward spin = counterclockwise! ) of the blade is correct.

And yes, there are handheld circular saws that have the motor on the right and the blade on the left - which will turn clockwise in an upward cut mode. And yes, as chickelegs said, blades bought in Thailand are for motor left/blade right machines, the indicator will probably show a wrong turn when used in a motor right/ blade left type of circular saw.

VERY IMPORTANT . .if the motion is against the indicator turn, then you will be cutting with the backside of the teeth in the material first. You should then REFRAIN from using the machine and seek help by the shop.

The OP should just fix a test board properly and start a short round of cutting & check the result.

...and good luck, don't step onto the cable while moving . . . . .

wai2.gif

Edited by crazygreg44

Yup ^^^. Single phase electric motors don't suddenly decide to run backwards, it would need someone with electrical knowledge to muck about with the internals.

Assuming a hand held saw, you've got the blade on backwards.

• Like 1

Have to agree with other posters here sounds like the blade is on the wrong way round. You are talking about a hand held circular saw?

According to his original post the blade is cutting in an upward direction, which is correct. So the blade is not the wrong way around.

Maybe the markings on the blade are wrong - for his machine.

I just hope he doesn't turn the blade around and start cutting downwards. The first time the blade hits a hard spot that saw will jump out of his hand. It will not be pretty.

Its got to cut up, just cut some ply and you'll see why! Mr Chickenlegs has got it right!! biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

Is this the same OP who posted some time ago that his electric drill was running backwards blink.png

Maybe the beginning of something................................ whistling.gif

Yes. The "running backwards circular saw" thread is as old as the hills on any handyman forum.

It is a well worn joke. It physically cannot happen.

OP says it should run clockwise, well it depends from where you look, I would say it should run ccw.

OP says it run OK before, I see just two possibilities.

a) a new blade is put the wrong way in, are they not designed id...proof?

B) capacitor is gone, which could lead a single-phased motor starting in the opposite direction, however it's more likely that (out of 10 times, 8 times) the motor wouldn't start at all, the other times it would just choose a random movement. (ccw or cw), assumed same load in both directions.