Thai Health Ministry testing drinking water for bacteria this summer

webfact

Public Health Ministry testing drinking water for bacteria this summer

dw.jpg

file photo

BANGKOK, 23 March 2015 (NNT)-The Ministry of Public Health is making sure drinking water sold in Thailand is clean, as around a million Thais become sick from consuming contaminated water each year.

Public Health Minister Dr. Ratchata Ratchatanawin is having all drinking water available in the market tested for bacteria and heavy metals.

Most of the drinking water products that failed the test last year were found to contain bacteria. Other samples reportedly contained particles and had a metallic taste.

Only 33% of them were deemed consumable and harmless to humans. Dr. Ratchata has also said less than half of the water vending machines available to the public were clean enough to provide water safe for household consumption.

Meanwhile the World Health Organization has revealed that as many as 500,000 people worldwide die from drinking contaminated water annually.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2015-03-23 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

I was eating in a restaurant once upon a time, when a guy comes in and replaces the filter in the big water machine just outside, people used to fill up jugs for home use.

It was completely covered with black, green, and red mold.

I asked him how many liters between changes.

He says, every six months.

Brilliant announcing the testing. Gives everybody a heads up to change their filters. Even if it hasn't been 6 months.

• Like 1

It would be nice if they tested and posted the fecal count at popular beaches.

Hua Hin??

No need for tests, you can see it!!bah.gif

And Pat--Jom-Bang-Ray- and so on.......condoms --frankfurters--etc. scum floating on the surface....PEWK

It would be nice if they tested and posted the fecal count at popular beaches.

On Koh Chang's Klong Prao beach, I counted a thousand turds, then gave up.

They should rename it Baby Ruth Beach.

All those peanuts have to end up somewhere.

• Like 1

Only 33% of them were deemed consumable and harmless to humans.

Dr. Ratchata has also said less than half of the water vending machines available

to the public were clean enough to provide water safe for household consumption.

IS THAT RIGHT????????

Only one-third of the bottled water sold in the stores that the government tested was found to be safe/drinkable, meaning two-thirds WAS NOT???

And, that means the store-bought bottled water failed the government's tests more often than the vending machine water, which has long been notorious for being dirty and ill-maintained?

Or is this another of the NNT screwing up their English translations of things?

If the bottled and machine vended water is THAT bad, I wonder what that means re the tap water, which supposedly at least in BKK is (the MWA tells us) safe???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

It's a well known fact most of the water vending machines on the street are not up to standards. You'd be better off with a small filter in your home and just use tap water. Which is what they use anyway.

Interesting article from a few years ago:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/385634-bottled-water-is-it-safe/#entry3768711

• Like 1

I am using the water from those vending machines only for cooking or coffee making.

But since quite a while, I even boil it for a couple of minutes immediately after I bought it from the vending machine.

The profit of the people who operate those machines must be so small that I suspect they almost never replace the filters as frequent as recommended

Best thing to do long term is buy one of those machines that makes water from air. Pure water is the final product. The basic one is about 28 k last time I checked.

We have one of these machines, it is excellent and quite happily supplies enough water for us. We usually have 3 people living full time at the house, but often up to 6 and we have never run out of fresh water.

Now the filters are ready for changing, the machine flashes alerts at us and it will not provide any water until we put in filters. Currently waiting for a shipment of filters to come into Thailand so reduced to drinking bottled water. We buy the Nestles one, relying on big name brand to protect us.

The water from our machine not only goes through filters, it is subjected to uv light as well. We feel pretty safe with it, use for drinking and cooking.

• Like 1

Lots of people find it hard to believe, but the tap water in certain areas is safe, no filter needed.

Here is a list of cities and jangwats that have been declared safe. The list is growing.

http://www.pwa.co.th/contents/service/save

(sorry, names of the cities are all in Thai)

I drink the tap water all over Bangkok and drank the tap water last time I traveled to a few of the cities on the list. I have never gotten sick.

If the filtered water vending machines on the street are as bad as I hear, and if in fact 30% of bottled water is failing safety tests, then I'd say you're better of drinking the tap water.

What water is safe? What food is safe? My lovely was born in the south and the seafood she eats [without the slightest problem] would put me in the ICU.

As for the water - maybe safer to drink beer - as those before us and those before them have.thumbsup.gif

Whether it arrives via the tap/faucet, the vending machine, or in a bottle [that may well have been sitting in a the sun a while] there will always be 'bugs' in it that can cause some people problems; especially if you grew up in a different part of the world.

I was eating in a restaurant once upon a time, when a guy comes in and replaces the filter in the big water machine just outside, people used to fill up jugs for home use.

It was completely covered with black, green, and red mold.

I asked him how many liters between changes.

He says, every six months.

Brilliant announcing the testing. Gives everybody a heads up to change their filters. Even if it hasn't been 6 months.

Maybe someone's replied already but here goes.

Those water filters are supposed to be covered in green stuff. I think it's algae; it's one of the several filters the water goes though to make it clean. Most of the older houses in Bangkok have them.

Best thing to do long term is buy one of those machines that makes water from air. Pure water is the final product. The basic one is about 28 k last time I checked.

No need - Just don't fix your Air Conditioner - it will drip pure water into a bucket and all over your floor for no extra cost.

• Like 1

I have used rainwater for the last 28 years and only put a filter on it when my old Mum came over to live here. Never had a problem and the water tastes good. Bottled water tastes mouldy and sometimes of chemicals. I knew a police sergeant in Ta Mai who ran a bottled water business and was filling the bottles with tap water. Today, people are so gullible and go along with what they see on television.bah.gif

Who in their right mind would extract air-borne water from polluted air?

Edited by masuk
  • Like 1

We have one of these machines, it is excellent and quite happily supplies enough water for us. We usually have 3 people living full time at the house, but often up to 6 and we have never run out of fresh water.

Now the filters are ready for changing, the machine flashes alerts at us and it will not provide any water until we put in filters. Currently waiting for a shipment of filters to come into Thailand so reduced to drinking bottled water. We buy the Nestles one, relying on big name brand to protect us.

The water from our machine not only goes through filters, it is subjected to uv light as well. We feel pretty safe with it, use for drinking and cooking.

Can you guys explain that to me

I have a big filter at the company water supply and thank and a three way filter in the house

What is it you are talking about please?

PM me if you like

I am very interested.Regards