All households in Thailand to have access to Internet services by 2017

webfact

All households in the country to have access to Internet services by 2017

3-24-2015-11-06-42-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government expects it will push forward the national broadband project into action to enable all households to access to the Internet service by 2017.

It also aimed to set up a central data center for all state agencies within 1-2 years’ time, in an effort to reduce redundancies associated with data center investments in the public sector.

According to Deputy Prime Minister M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakula, the broadband and data centre are parts of the government’s effort to turn itself to digital government.

He said the ‘digital economy’ model emphasised on five development areas.

They are physical infrastructure, services, legal infrastructure, economic development promotion, and digital society development.

He said significant process has been made in all the five areas.

M.R. Pridiyathorn said that all villages of the country will have access to the Internet in 2016 and all households in 2017 when its national broadband project is completed in 2017.

Meanwhile, he said it would take 1-2 years before the databases of all state agencies can be merged into the central data center.

He explained that the private sector will be invited to invest in the central data center.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/all-households-in-the-country-to-access-to-internet-services-by-2017

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-24

RELATED: Govt announces plans for affordable broadband throughout Thailand

Sure thing! More important than investing in improving basic education for the population. So every kid then wants gets an iPhone, but remains essentially illiterate. Glad the priorities are in right place, Thailand.

The day I will hear nice comments from the TVF members about anything happening in this country, I will be the happiest man in the world.

For the moment and the foreseeable future I can be grumpy reading the posts written by grumpy people.

• Like 1

Out here in the boonies there are cables strung for miles on the power poles which are, I would imagine, part of the you beaut digital revolution for internet....and cable TV?

The thing is, as someone mentioned, is there enough infrastructure and hardware to support cable internet and TV?

• Like 1

question ...

why are so many news items

just a carbon copy, not from other sites, but now from the own thai visa site, under another section that refers to the forum with the exact same story to be discussed ?

doesn't goolge see this as duplicate content ?

many other sites would have gotten a warning or just being suddenly "ad-free" for this kind of practise

Increasing broadband usage without increasing the capacity and speed of the international gateway is a recipe for disaster. Of course, that's probably what MICT wants. A completely insular Thai internet experience, easily controlled and censored.

With Thailand dependent on exports and imports like tourists, the insular idea doesn't match, I think.

Mind you, you're correct in saying that the international gateways probably need to be extended.

Personally I would think that a lot of the internet traffic could be greatly reduced with local cache servers. How big a chunk would be facebook, line and other social stuff ? Looking around me I think most Thai are only conversion with other Thai (and in Thai).

Out here in the boonies there are cables strung for miles on the power poles which are, I would imagine, part of the you beaut digital revolution for internet....and cable TV?

The thing is, as someone mentioned, is there enough infrastructure and hardware to support cable internet and TV?

One should surely be happy with the move to HD as in High Definition although Huge Data also comes to mind.

The day I will hear nice comments from the TVF members about anything happening in this country, I will be the happiest man in the world.

For the moment and the foreseeable future I can be grumpy reading the posts written by grumpy people.

The day something actually happens right in the country... Then I'll be the happiest man in the world. Not you. ;)

• Like 2

So in 2 years.....those people without power, will be able to plug their laptops into a coconut tree.

Yea, guess so.

"M.R. Pridiyathorn said that all villages of the country will have access to the Internet in 2016 and all households in 2017 when its national broadband project is completed in 2017"

Does he really mean 2017, or is it 2027?

And what is this "national broadband project ?"

Anyone here who believes this?

In my 28 years here, so much has been promised in Thailand but never been realized.

The only cable Internet provider in our area (Tambol Naamkiao, Amphoe Rattanaburi) is TOT. We have asked them so many times to have us connected. We are 4.8 km from the main street where their cable passes. Two weeks ago we were told that they need 10 households in our moobaan to hook up. So, no Internet, only True-H which gets filthy st***** rich with the lack of cable Internet upcountry in Thailand. I have three 3G accounts with True and a 4th with CAT. I need constant Internet to trade on the SET.

And along comes M.R. Pridiyathorn who says we'll all have Internet everywhere soon.

So, I simply cannot believe this.

Add this thread to your favorites and let's review it in March 2017, shall we?

Edited by Dario

"grumpy"? No! From folk who know the reality in the country! Edited by kingalfred

most comments on this topic are realistic rather than grumpy. the uk has a pretty good telecoms infrastructure but cannot deliver broadband to all homes and does not make unrealistic promises to that effect.

it is a fact that the telecoms infrastructure in thailand leaves a lot to be desired and without considerable investment will simply not be able to deliver broadband. fact not grumpyness.

• Like 1