Prayut threatens to hold onto power indefinitely

webfact

Some guys just don't get it.

Like hill billies who see mountains glow in the dead of night as a wild fire approaches .

"" I still believe Pa that that there glow means Jesus loves us"

Look read the basic script ....."" He doesn't want to go and is becoming increasingly threatening""

Freedoms are twiddling and Communist nations or ones run by similar style are replacing old friends.

Countries like Australia Ban him.

And by the day he disregards protocol and elegance of being a Statesman for raw fear and talk of executing people.

What next ?

You want the guy to turn ugly and start shooting ?

"" aw no pa he would never do that? "

Ok ...lets see what happens next

• Like 1

Finally, somebody has attempted a list

"- put a stop to protests and cowardly attacks on protesters"

He fulfilled the protesters wishes with blunt force, Hardly an achievement.

"- gently prodded Suthep and accompanied him to the Criminal court to hear and acknowledge charges against him"

Inconclusive

"- pay (most?) rice farmers"

Maybe a good point. He really needs the farmers to pay for his rice for rails scheme.

"- stop RPPS"

Is this Rubber Plantation Practices ?

"- put items like 'dual tracking' and 'road maintenance' back in the MoT National Budget (aka NatBgt) allocation"

Any real work done, or another plan?

"- planned seven years of 107 billion Baht reservation in the NatBgt, first one in 2014/2015."

Inconclusive

"- started reform process with NRC, commissions, country wide opening of candidate application"

Inconclusive

- started constitution rewrite with CDC, commissions, country wide request for input

Inconclusive

"- stopped interference in nACC work on 'negligence' (Yingluck), corruption (Boonsong c.s.) and 'abuse of power (Abhisit, Suthep, Somchai) "

This is both Inconclusive and questionable. We shall see how far things go with Abhisit and Suthep. Retro impeachments ? Oh, please !

"- befriended the press"

Inaccurate: Sorry, he was threatening them again yesterday.

If one is going to take a country by force, they would be expected to effect some very fast, substantive changes. .

On advise of TVF posters the current government is trying to restrain itself. Unfortunately that means a lot more talking as if we still were in a working democracy here. Rumour has it the NCPO may even set up a general election next they need a new junta member.

My arse: http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/prayut-ponders-martial-law-lifting/43231/

Believe what you like to rubl.

• Like 1

The good news is I was right and I get to say "I told you so" yet again to all my Thai friends (that's all my friends, I still don't know any other expats here) who didn't believe me when I predicted this slow evolution into hard dictatorship BEFORE the coup actually happened. I'm actually surprised how right I was, and it makes me feels smart and important (that part is sarcasm).

The bad news is...I was right... :-/

My next prediction: IF Prayuth actually leaves and doesn't hold onto power indefinitely with an iron grip, he'll only leave once he's amassed hundreds of millions of US dollars like every other Thai leader who has come to power after a coup.

Look up the fortunes amassed by the leaders instilled by coups in the past. Mind blowing amounts of money. Leading coups in Thailand is apparently a good business model. (I'm not talking about people like Thaksin and Suthep who made fortunes outside of their political activities.)

I can only wonder if he'll go so far as to insert the Prime Minister position into the lese majeste laws so that he can punish any and all detractors with impunity. Unfortunately, it seems like a logical next step for him to consolidate power, and would be easy to pass with his hand selected parliament members.

In other news: "I for one welcome our new insect overlords!" - K Brockman

Hold on to power indefinitely? Ask Saddam and Gaddafi how well that worked out for them. You're only allowed to hold on to power indefinitely until those folks with drones, Tomahawk missiles, and advanced Electronic Warfare systems decide to upset the apple cart (or Somtom cart in this case).

I've no real opinion here, just a casual observer of events on the world stage.

Edited by connda

So he's no diplomat... not the end of the world for Thailand is it?

If he can learn to laugh at himself and accept that others will too.... he might become one of Thailand's better leaders in the past 1/2 century, even with his flaws.

Probably not good though!

A very big deal in this, is how Thailand's leaders are perceived on the world stage, at the UN, diplomacy,trade deals etc. Maybe, some companies are already voting with their feet, (Thailand is definitely not the cheap 'n cheerful place that it was in 1985, when I first visited). In fact, Thailand is very close to the $10,000 per-capita GDP, which will qualify it as a developed country, no longer a cheap place to do business.

As Churchill said, "Democracy isn't perfect, but it's better than all the other alternatives". (not verbatim, words to the effect of).

Lastly, I fail to see that branding Mr T as corrupt is a valid reason to oppose him! He was just much more bloody successful than his political foes at this! Also, Thailand boomed during his tenure (Swampy, Skytrain, Underground, 6% GDP growth, very big deals for Thailand)!!

• Like 2

Hold on to power indefinitely? Ask Saddam and Gaddafi how well that worked out for them. You're only allowed to hold on to power indefinitely until those folks with drones, Tomahawk missiles, and advanced Electronic Warfare systems decide to upset the apple cart (or Somtom cart in this case).

or as long as no one really cares as in Zimbabwe, or as long as there are more than one sides to consider like in North Korea.

Being somewhat cynical at times, I think Prayut is more likely to cal it a day because he really had enough of being a junta leader without being able to do want he wants than some country deciding he should go.

And whilst world media and especially TV members and Facebook communities
are mulling over the latest slip of the tongue of or general, his machinery works
quietly in the background clearing up any opposition.

So as long he keeps himself in the spotlight with silly and funny quotes, no one
cares what's going on elsewhere within his "administration".

Nice move Mr General.

I told you Prime Minister..........Think before you open your mouth........think and don't let anger overcome you.

You are not an Army man any more, you are the Prime Minister of Thailand.

If you could do that sometimes.......you would have been the best.

Would have been the best?He is the best. Well Costas how you have changed I have to give my likes elsewhere now.

are mulling over the latest slip of the tongue of or general, his machinery works

So as long he keeps himself in the spotlight with silly and funny quotes, no one

Nice move Mr General.

Tjeez, you mean he does it on purpose? He's really a politician? Lots of posters are currently telling me the opposite. Obviously they're wrong smile.png

Nice move Mr General.

Tjeez, you mean he does it on purpose? He's really a politician? Lots of posters are currently telling me the opposite. Obviously they're wrong smile.png

Politicians want to be re-elected and do not really make such

silly comments as out general has done again and again.

On the other hand, a strategist would most likely use smoke

screens to hide their real intention. coffee1.gif

Or ask Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI how well that worked out for them. wink.png Those folks with pitchforks and torches can have a substantial say in things as well, when they choose to.

Unfortunately, as time marches on, apathy and modern distractions (Facebook, Line, etc) tend to benefit the (seemingly) powerful and blind the (seemingly) powerless.

How many Thais will pay as much attention to what Prayuth says as they pay to their phones and pictures of their food?

Which is not to say only Thais are like this. Most modern nations have populations which are being kept by forces beyond their will, and this is largely due to their own disinterest and apathy.

The question isn't "when" Prayuth will be out of power, but "how". The best answer to this is a promising future in a society's self determination. The worst answer is a nightmare repeated time and time again.

The sheep may well deserve the shepherd...or the wolf if they choose.

Edited by Tessellation
  • Like 1

"- gently prodded Suthep and accompanied him to the Criminal court to hear and acknowledge charges against him"

Inconclusive

Maybe a good point. He really needs the farmers to pay for his rice for rails scheme.

"- stop RPPS"

"- put items like 'dual tracking' and 'road maintenance' back in the MoT National Budget (aka NatBgt) allocation"

"- planned seven years of 107 billion Baht reservation in the NatBgt, first one in 2014/2015."

Inconclusive

"- started reform process with NRC, commissions, country wide opening of candidate application"

Inconclusive

- started constitution rewrite with CDC, commissions, country wide request for input

Inconclusive

"- stopped interference in nACC work on 'negligence' (Yingluck), corruption (Boonsong c.s.) and 'abuse of power (Abhisit, Suthep, Somchai) "

This is both Inconclusive and questionable. We shall see how far things go with Abhisit and Suthep. Retro impeachments ? Oh, please !

"- befriended the press"

If one is going to take a country by force, they would be expected to effect some very fast, substantive changes. .

On advise of TVF posters the current government is trying to restrain itself. Unfortunately that means a lot more talking as if we still were in a working democracy here. Rumour has it the NCPO may even set up a general election next they need a new junta member.

My arse: http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/prayut-ponders-martial-law-lifting/43231/

absolute power will trump martial law and give him the authority to round up and execute all those that oppose him.
  • Like 2

Thanks for granting me permission wai.gif

My 'rumour' was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but with all requests and demands for the junta to be more democratic my sense of humour got the better of me.

Fair enough. ;)

Inconclusive

"- stop RPPS"

Inconclusive

Inconclusive

Inconclusive

"- befriended the press"

absolute power will trump martial law and give him the authority to round up and execute all those that oppose him.

That is exactly how I inferred his words too!

I told you Prime Minister..........Think before you open your mouth........think and don't let anger overcome you.

Yeah, like he is reading your comments on Thai Visa ;)

Yeah, like he is reading your comments on Thai Visa wink.png

After his appalling effort at speaking English today in Phuket, I doubt he'd have a bloody clue about anything written or spoken in English.

http://news.voicetv.co.th/thailand/185268.html

That is exactly how I inferred his words too!

Of course suing some opposition (or a reporter who mentions cracks) out of existence is soo much more democratic.

unknown date, somewhen 2001 - 2005

"Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra remains confident that his Thai Rak Thai Party will remain in power for at least 20 years and that its policies will make it even more popular than it is now."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Thaksin-remains-confident-that-TRT-will-rule-for-2-94490.html

2013-01-30

"For the past year and a half, by the party’s own admission, the most important political decisions in this country of 65 million people have been made from abroad, by a former prime minister who has been in self-imposed exile since 2008 to escape corruption charges."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/world/asia/thaksin-shinawatra-of-thailand-wields-influence-from-afar.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Oh, by the way 2008-08-13

"Permanent Secretary for Justice Kittiphong Kitayarak (กิตติพงษ์ กิตยารักษ์) says the attorney responsible for the case of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra has a period of 20 years to bring him to trial."

What does all of that have to do with the general who led a military coup threatening to hold onto power indefinitely?

Good question, Heybruce.

It should be clear it has nothing to do with Democracy as we know it in the West, or as we would Thailand to have it.

What 'all this' has to do with the topic of "clinging to power" should be obvious (excuses for using that term), except for those who do not want to see, that is.

Thaksin was clearly talking about the Thai Rak Thai party winning elections for twenty years by giving the people the government they wanted. Are you aware that there is a difference between staying in power by winning elections and using the military to seize and hold onto power?

Yingluck campaigned on a promise to be Thaksin's clone and won an internationally monitored election; the voters clearly wanted Thaksin influencing the Thai government.

I'm not sure why having twenty years to bring Thaksin to trial is significant to anything here.

So, in a topic about the PM threatening to hold onto power indefinitely, you bring up the electoral success of the Thai Rak Thai party and the fact that Yingluck campaigned on a promise to a conduit for Thaksin and won the election resoundingly. Once again, I don't see how your post is pertinent to the OP.

My bias, as a retired military man, remains firmly in favor of the military cleaning up it's own act before dictating standards to the rest of the nation. Of course my bias is also for the military to be subservient to an elected civilian government.

Care to explain why you think the military should be exempt from ethical standards and corruption investigations?

Right, no real practical advise from you.

BTW I didn't say the military should be exempt. I'm just pragmatic and want to get the show on the road with decent preparations and a solid base. When slowly Thailand comes a well-founded democracy with a 'reasonable' government then applying ethical standards and anti-corruption laws to government agencies and organisations automatically includes the military of course.

"Real practical advise"? That's a new dodge (or to use your favorite term, zig-zag) from you. The practical reality is that a corrupt military is not going to clean up corruption in Thailand. It certainly isn't going to lead Thailand to a "well-founded democracy with a 'reasonable' government".

Finally, so long as the endemically corrupt military is ready and able to stage coups whenever the generals are unhappy with the government, to think that ethical standards and anti-corruption laws will be applied to the military is a fantasy.

I just read an article on a Dutch news site with the 'leader of MPs' of the political party VVD (which is part of a coalition government in the Netherlands at the moment, interestingly a left/right excluding middle coalition) who suggested that the policy till now to raise that Dutch uncle finger and tell dictators to behave and step down ("the too soon topple of stable regimes") only tends to create chaos in those countries which in turn leads to a higher influx of refugees into the EU.

Finally as long as the endemically corrupt Thaksin parties are able to manipulate a faulty democratic system, to think they will apply ethical standards and anti-corruption laws is a fantasy.

This IMHO, just like yours

PS could you even try to pick one area of corruption which doesn't involve bashing the military?

First paragraph; I think you're stating that the Dutch government doesn't want to get involved in toppling established dict..., uh, richardtatorships. So what?

Second paragraph; both Thaksin's and the PTP/Yingluck' governments were toppled in coups while they were trying to hold elections. They attempted to give the voters the chance to remove them from power democratically; do you think the junta will allow that? Mature democracies don't happen overnight, you have to allow enough cycles of elections without military intervention for the system to achieve stability. Stable democracy is not perfect, but many people prefer imperfect democratic stability to stability at gunpoint.

Third paragraph; I've pointed out repeatedly in this forum that transparency, conflict of interest laws, and regular asset disclosures should be applied to all government people in a position to influence government spending, including the civil service and the military. Why are you so keen on ignoring corruption in the military?

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

Right, no real practical advise from you.

BTW I didn't say the military should be exempt. I'm just pragmatic and want to get the show on the road with decent preparations and a solid base. When slowly Thailand comes a well-founded democracy with a 'reasonable' government then applying ethical standards and anti-corruption laws to government agencies and organisations automatically includes the military of course.

"Real practical advise"? That's a new dodge (or to use your favorite term, zig-zag) from you. The practical reality is that a corrupt military is not going to clean up corruption in Thailand. It certainly isn't going to lead Thailand to a "well-founded democracy with a 'reasonable' government".

Finally, so long as the endemically corrupt military is ready and able to stage coups whenever the generals are unhappy with the government, to think that ethical standards and anti-corruption laws will be applied to the military is a fantasy.

I just read an article on a Dutch news site with the 'leader of MPs' of the political party VVD (which is part of a coalition government in the Netherlands at the moment, interestingly a left/right excluding middle coalition) who suggested that the policy till now to raise that Dutch uncle finger and tell dictators to behave and step down ("the too soon topple of stable regimes") only tends to create chaos in those countries which in turn leads to a higher influx of refugees into the EU.

Finally as long as the endemically corrupt Thaksin parties are able to manipulate a faulty democratic system, to think they will apply ethical standards and anti-corruption laws is a fantasy.

This IMHO, just like yours

PS could you even try to pick one area of corruption which doesn't involve bashing the military?

First paragraph; I think you're stating that the Dutch government doesn't want to get involved in toppling established dict..., uh, richardtatorships. So what?

Second paragraph; both Thaksin's and the PTP/Yingluck' governments were toppled in coups while they were trying to hold elections. They attempted to give the voters the chance to remove them from power democratically; do you think the junta will allow that? Mature democracies don't happen overnight, you have to allow enough cycles of elections without military intervention for the system to achieve stability. Stable democracy is not perfect, but many people prefer imperfect democratic stability to stability at gunpoint.

Third paragraph; I've pointed out repeatedly in this forum that transparency, conflict of interest laws, and regular asset disclosures should be applied to all government people in a position to influence government spending, including the civil service and the military. Why are you so keen on ignoring corruption in the military?

It's more that you are so keen on highlighting 'corrupt military' as if to turn people away from other and greater corruption games.

So, nothing practical again. Very theoratical is your "They attempted to give the voters the chance to remove them from power democratically". Still you seem to believe it.

• Like 1

I disagree Uncle Rubs, the Military have always avoided being looked at with a fine tooth comb, when it comes to corruption, come on mate, their Generals are all in the Super Rich bracket, doesn't that pique your interest as to why?

Gambling is illegal in Thailand, so investing in stocks and shares isn't a form of gambling?

Transparency HAS to be across the board, it's all to easy to finger point at other departments, and have them looked into, whilst knowing you're untouchable.. NO ORGANISATION in Thailand should be unapproachable, or exempt from being Investigated for acts of corruption.

STOP all these officers serving in the RTA who are "paid" board members of other organisations, that's a conflict of interest right from the start.

Don't you recall the RTA Captain who also owned a PR firm given lucrative contracts by the Junta too?

All the bad things about Nepotism and Cronyism within he PTP are still very pertinent to the current Junta mate..

In my line of work we call this a simple "change of t-shirts" when one company replaces another.

Thailand has a problem which needs correcting, by law, by enforcing laws and mostly by 'attitude changes'.

To only jump on the RTA like Heybruce does seems more politically motivated than from a real wish to help the country forward.