BBC decides not to renew Jeremy Clarkson's contract

Lite Beer

BBC decides not to renew Jeremy Clarkson's contract

post-128-0-22339000-1427303248_thumb.jpg

DANICA KIRKA, Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — The BBC decided Wednesday not to renew the contract of "Top Gear" host Jeremy Clarkson after a fracas with his producer, ending his connection to the immensely popular program built around macho banter, off-colour jokes and cars.

BBC Director-General Tony Hall concluded that Clarkson physically and verbally attacked a producer, Oisin Tymon, while they were filming on location, leaving him with a swelling and bloody lip. The producer went to a hospital for treatment.

Hall acknowledged that lifting the star of the program "will divide opinion." But he said a line had been crossed in Clarkson's often controversial behavior — even if he is a big star.

"There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations," Hall said.

Fans have clamored for Clarkson's return, signing a petition which was delivered to the BBC in a tank. Prime Minister David Cameron called Clarkson a friend and a "huge talent." Will Wyatt, a former director of BBC television, said "Top Gear" without Clarkson would be "a bit like the Musketeers without D'Artagnan."

Clarkson has often found himself in trouble for remarks and behavior deemed offensive. Argentina's ambassador demanded an apology from the BBC after the "Top Gear" crew allegedly referenced the country's 1982 war with Britain over the Falkland Islands. He's also had to apologize to Mexico for characterizing Mexicans as lazy and oafish.

He was given a "final warning" last year following a racism row. At the time, Clarkson said he avoided using a racist word while reciting a well-known nursery rhyme while filming the car show, but begged forgiveness from audiences after admitting that "it sounds like I did."

He has been repeatedly saved by the program's huge popularity. The current series was launched simultaneously in more than 50 countries.

Hall wished Clarkson well as he showed him the door.

"I have always personally been a great fan of his work and 'Top Gear.' Jeremy is a huge talent," he said. "He may be leaving the BBC but I am sure he will continue to entertain, challenge and amuse audiences for many years to come."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-03-25

I read about Clarkson preparing to sign a 3 year contract back in January, maybe they never finalised the negotiations.

There's more to this than meets the eye, his previous contract was going to expire in a couple of weeks time. Quite a coincidence huh ?

Edited by ukrules

It's a good thing that John Ford, Errol Flynn, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Richard Harris, Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen, and a couple of hundred other classic directors, stars, and writers for Hollywood never worked for the BBC. They would have all had their contracts cancelled. What bunch of limp noodles today's media is.

Things are different today, and the BBC like all employers have a "duty of care".

The BBC has been asked by North Yorkshire police for a copy of its report into the incident that led to the presenter’s departure from Top Gear

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/25/jeremy-clarkson-police-investigation-bbc-report-top-gear

Need I say any more?

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

It was great show while it lasted , Pity no one really knows what happened and why the uproar over a cold dinner.

But I bet the guy who sacked him will also be gone within 12 months when the ratings and earning reports are made year to year,

Hopefully there is still a place in the world for idiots to do stupid things with cars, have a laugh at themselves and other things in the news and not have "media critics" rule the press and freedom to be stupid;

I admit I am sometimes an idiot , do stupid things with cars and am not PC correct , and proud of it.....

RIP Top Gear

Nah.

All three must be rubbing their hands over this. It'll be back as "Top Speed" or "Top End" or "Top Banana" or something only on Sky.

Give it three months.

As much as I utterly cannot stand Clarkson, I wouldn't want to see this show that entertains so many disappear.

It's a good thing that John Ford, Errol Flynn, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Richard Harris, Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen, and a couple of hundred other classic directors, stars, and writers for Hollywood never worked for the BBC. They would have all had their contracts cancelled. What bunch of limp noodles today's media is.

Except that at least two (I think) of them did, without beating up their colleagues.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Chicog

Except that at least two (I think) of them did, without beating up their colleagues.

coffee1.gif

I read something recently about the BBC covering up crimes committed by their 'stars' way back then...

• Like 1

Hmm, I wonder who the BBC is going to replace Jeremy with on Top Gear, Piers Morgan?

Nothing like firing the top character on the BBC's top show worldwide...

Given that the other 2 refused to complete the series without him, the question is. Who will the new presenters be?

• Like 1

Hmm, I wonder who the BBC is going to replace Jeremy with on Top Gear, Piers Morgan?

Nothing like firing the top character on the BBC's top show worldwide...

Given that the other 2 refused to complete the series without him, the question is. Who will the new presenters be?

I think at this stage it's just a matter of which American network they will move to and how long it will be before the show is relaunched.

• Like 1

With the amount of money they have tucked away maybe they should start their own production company and produce Top Gear 2 themselves - then sell the episodes to the highest bidder on the open market.

• Like 2

Will they air the already pre-recorder episode 8 and 9 for season 22??

The other two were asked to finish filming the last two episodes, and they declined. BBC News world has just reported, Clarkson's co presenters will go with him.

It was great show while it lasted , Pity no one really knows what happened and why the uproar over a cold dinner.

But I bet the guy who sacked him will also be gone within 12 months when the ratings and earning reports are made year to year,

Hopefully there is still a place in the world for idiots to do stupid things with cars, have a laugh at themselves and other things in the news and not have "media critics" rule the press and freedom to be stupid;

I admit I am sometimes an idiot , do stupid things with cars and am not PC correct , and proud of it.....

RIP Top Gear

Nah.

All three must be rubbing their hands over this. It'll be back as "Top Speed" or "Top End" or "Top Banana" or something only on Sky.

Give it three months.

As much as I utterly cannot stand Clarkson, I wouldn't want to see this show that entertains so many disappear.

It won't disappear - even the BBC is currently showing reruns and repeats constantly on its own channels.

Can't avoid repeats of Top Gear even if you want to...

Top Gear will most likely be renamed and Clarkson, May & Hammond

will be over at ITV. Or...lke another poster mentioned, the three of em will

form their own production company & produce the programme themselves

to flog to the highest bidder...which is a very good idea IMO.

• Like 1

given the facts the bbc had no choice.

Yes but in all fairness if he had been a paedophile he most likely would have got away with it. It's time for the TV licence to go.

How does Clarkson punching someone have anything to do with the licence fee?

A funny guy but still a jerk. Everyone is replaceable. When you think you are irreplaceable you are

already one foot out the door. The other two made a mistake as well. I am sure they can find great

replacements for all of them.